Coyle's miscalculations as I see them

It didn't take $4 million to get Craig Smith. He wanted this job.
This. This is what kills me. It's not that you hired Ben Johnson. It's who you passed on to hire Ben Johnson. It didn't take big money. It logically doesn't make sense to me.

If we couldn't hire anybody else, fine hire Ben and give him a chance. This is not the position we were in.

Unbelievable man.

The my way or the highway routine is less acceptable now.
I would put Brad Stevens in the nice guy camp.
You don't have to be a hard ass to get the best out of players, especially now.
A more cerebral approach may be better. One your from now we should have a better answer to this hire. For now, I like it as it is a different direction than has previously been tried and failed.
Brad Steven’s is definitely on the milder side. But, he is firmly in control and I can’t say as I have ever seen him smile during a game. Maybe Tony Dungy like but there is no doubt who is in charge. Cerebral is better but all I’m saying is not many seem to make it work successfully.

This. This is what kills me. It's not that you hired Ben Johnson. It's who you passed on to hire Ben Johnson. It didn't take big money. It logically doesn't make sense to me.

If we couldn't hire anybody else, fine hire Ben and give him a chance. This is not the position we were in.
True. But it's done. We have to accept it and move on.

I would be shocked if this was Coyles choice. He had to have been influenced by the powers that be to make this shocking of hire.

Whalen was a much higher performer as a player than Ben ever was. Ben never played in the NBA, Lindsay was in the WNBA.

I hope Ben works out, but this screams trying to satisfy not enough minority coaches hire.

True. But it's done. We have to accept it and move on.
Oh man it's gonna be a while. Ben really has to prove it for me to believe. It'll be different for me in November when we're kicking off a new season but this is fresh at this point and just feels like a let down.

The reality:

It is basically impossible for the average fan to weigh in on the hire from a background perspective. What can people actually judge? Ben is not a really big name in MN sports and was an assistant coach. People have to trust Coyle, which is obviously tough.

The AD should do Ben a favor and get out in front to extol his virtues as a hire. It is Coyle's job to protect his hire and have some foresight into what fans may think. It is unfair to the person you hired to get excoriated by the fan base. Protect your coach Mark.
I thought Coyle did that today stating why he was the obvious choice by himself and the selection committee including President Joan Gable.

I'm sure friends and family would say great things about me after I was hired for a 2 million dollar job also...It doesn't neccesarily make me qualified....Because he is a completely unproven coach his honeymoon period will be very short...I hope Coyle recognizes that.
Because you state he is unqualified, it doesn't mean he is unqualified. Those quotes have more credibility with me than your opinionated posts.

You have no idea if that is true.
Yeah. I do. There aren't 10 coaches in college basketball who make $4 million. You're being ridiculous.

Craig Smith wanted this job. He would have taken it. No absurd hypothetical changes that.

But we can move on. Coyle made his choice. All we can do now is hope for the best.

Someone that is hired as a head coach at a major university when they have never been a head coach at any level is under qualified.
I feel like everyone so ready to move on from Pitino that every red flag being brought up is being dismissed as he's our guy now. Obviously the hire cant be taken back, but the U should be criticized ad nauseum if this fails. Coyle will be protected by the "search committee"

Because you state he is unqualified, it doesn't mean he is unqualified. Those quotes have more credibility with me than your opinionated posts.
So you seriously believe Ben Johnson is qualified to become the head coach of the U? Please tell us how many years of experience he has as a head coach of ANY basketball program. Any at all.

Yeah. I do. There aren't 10 coaches in college basketball who make $4 million. You're being ridiculous.

Craig Smith wanted this job. He would have taken it. No absurd hypothetical changes that.

But we can move on. Coyle made his choice. All we can do now is hope for the best.
We don’t have 3 million let alone 4. You have no idea if he was gettable on our budget.

you have no idea if he wanted it. If he is such a slam dunk and there is no doubt he is going to get other high major chances in the next 3-5 years...why would he sign up for the 9-11th best job in the big ten?

I agree with your third paragraph

I feel like everyone so ready to move on from Pitino that every red flag being brought up is being dismissed as he's our guy now. Obviously the hire cant be taken back, but the U should be criticized ad nauseum if this fails. Coyle will be protected by the "search committee"
Well stated. Rationalization at its finest.

We don’t have 3 million let alone 4. You have no idea if he was gettable on our budget.

you have no idea if he wanted it. If he is such a slam dunk and there is no doubt he is going to get other high major chances in the next 3-5 years...why would he sign up for the 9-11th best job in the big ten?

Musselman was arguably a hotter coaching prospect just two years ago and he got $2.5M per year to start at Arkansas. That would seem to be a reasonable comparison point in terms of salary.

It was well reported by people who would know better than any of us that Smith wanted this job. You don’t have to take their word for it, or mine, or anyone else’s but just know that it’s out there from more than one person. Here’s one from a Utah basketball beat writer:

Musselman was arguably a hotter coaching prospect just two years ago and he got $2.5M per year to start at Arkansas. That would seem to be a reasonable comparison point in terms of salary.

It was well reported by people who would know better than any of us that Smith wanted this job. You don’t have to take their word for it, or mine, or anyone else’s but just know that it’s out there from more than one person. Here’s one from a Utah basketball beat writer:

Who is Josh Newman and why do I care what he thinks?

Got it, a Utah beat writer writing that a rival schools coach is going to leave.

He wanted the job. You can believe what you want.

And he wouldn't have cost more than Pitino's salary at most. Guys jumping from the Mountain West don't immediately get paid in the top 5 in the Big Ten. Stop it.

Why do you prefer to believe that we took Ben only because the job sucks and no one else wanted it?

He wanted the job. You can believe what you want.

And he wouldn't have cost more than Pitino's salary at most. Guys jumping from the Mountain West don't immediately get paid in the top 5 in the Big Ten. Stop it.

Why do you prefer to believe that we took Ben only because the job sucks and no one else wanted it?
I have no idea. And neither do you.
we very well had 6million dollars ready to go and Musselman still said no....

Then Coyle said he would rather have Johnson than Craig Smith even if smith was gettable.

I have no idea and don’t pretend to know

Top Bottom