Coyle: Considering Rollback of Donation Levels

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Coyle was saying he's hearing loud and clear season ticket holders not happy with the large "donations" and they are looking into a rollback (whatever that means). Acknowledged large drop in season tickets is alarming. Also, TV revenue is growing so huge ticket revenue is becoming less and less significant.

Hope this is the case. If they went back to year 1 "donation" levels at TCF I would definitely consider going back to the 4 ST I had instead of 2. Get TCF near sellout with Gopher fans and then consider ticket price increases if the market demands it.

Coyle was saying he's hearing loud and clear season ticket holders not happy with the large "donations" and they are looking into a rollback (whatever that means). Acknowledged large drop in season tickets is alarming. Also, TV revenue is growing so huge ticket revenue is becoming less and less significant.

Hope this is the case. If they went back to year 1 "donation" levels at TCF I would definitely consider going back to the 4 ST I had instead of 2. Get TCF near sellout with Gopher fans and then consider ticket price increases if the market demands it.

This would be awesome and just might make some Gopher friends of mine reconsider coming back and one for sure stay.

Good news to hear, maybe the group of 8 I used go with will reconsider in a couple of years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nebraska, Wisconsin and Michigan State play here in 2017.
I predict ticket sales will be higher.

The required donation on the street will remain zero.

The required donation on the street will remain

And I hope you find zero tickets on the street next year and if you do, they are priced well above face.

This could create another mess. Some of the folks who dropped their ticket level with the change due to cost would be upset about not being able to get back into their previous seats after this change. People understandably become pretty attached to their seats, and develop relationships with the folks around them. They made the hard choice to move to cheaper seats or to drop their tickets, now the policy is being changed, and they won't get back where they were.

Genie, meet bottle, mind getting back in there for Mark?

This could create another mess. Some of the folks who dropped their ticket level with the change due to cost would be upset about not being able to get back into their previous seats after this change. People understandably become pretty attached to their seats, and develop relationships with the folks around them. They made the hard choice to move to cheaper seats or to drop their tickets, now the policy is being changed, and they won't get back where they were.

Shouldn't have left in the first place is the lesson there. No decision will make everyone happy, but if it gets those back in the building...I think it will be ok overall.

Are people at the prestigious university of Minnesota complain about donations????
cdd29f6b6241f2818b8ef3b71147fe66.jpg
c8c5fae8c6e68ccb6db5abb1706390d4.jpg

That said I grew up in Minnesota have always cheered for the gophers I think I'm buying in on the row the boat and gonna get myself some of these discounted season tickets

But when he fired Claeys, Coyle blamed him for decreased attendance.

Man, shocked at what NDSU charges for Division II football. Those are "elite" type program (i.e. Oklahoma, LSU, USC) donations. Guess you can do that with the success and titles they've won. Not to mention it's the only game in town.

And I hope you find zero tickets on the street next year and if you do, they are priced well above face.

Believe it or not, I would be in favor of that as well. I would love to have TCF filled and season ticket holders have something valuable. I was one for well over a decade.

Coyle's got it all wrong. It was Claey's fault. It's all Good now. :clap:

Thought we were going to expand the stadium with all the demand for tickets since we got rid of Claeys. Can't we just row our boat full of fans with some catchy words and lots of arm waving?

Man, shocked at what NDSU charges for Division II football. Those are "elite" type program (i.e. Oklahoma, LSU, USC) donations. Guess you can do that with the success and titles they've won. Not to mention it's the only game in town.

Supply vs Demand Econ 101

BTW
Coyle lowers the donation and sees an increase in Season ticket holders and all teh praise will go to him for hiring Fleck.

does he think he is being sly? does he think we fans don't see right through his BS

Benefit , positive PR and goodwill far outweigh negatives. Plenty of tickets to choose from...

Benefit , positive PR and goodwill far outweigh negatives. Plenty of tickets to choose from...

Agreed. Doesn't matter whether the donation levels were wrong to begin with. Roll them back, get folks back on board, fill the stadium. These are all positives IMO.

BTW
Coyle lowers the donation and sees an increase in Season ticket holders and all teh praise will go to him for hiring Fleck.

does he think he is being sly? does he think we fans don't see right through his BS

These are separate issues. Mega tongue instituted the current fee structure even after being told it was a bad idea by many boosters. PJ Fleck is an excellent hire , IMHO, and if we win some of the credit will go to Coyle. This hire does not eliminate his role in the recent scandal nor does it diminish the possibility this hire will be a home run.

I still wont make a donation to the U athletics until Coyle is gone...if he stays for 20 more seasons then that is how long I will wait. Send my money to charities that I respect instead.

If the big boosters wanted Claeys fired then those boosters can cover my $1,000 per year just fine.

Last year was my first year without season tickets. It was mostly the huge donation level but it was also my boredom with the program. I'm going to be honest if the donation levels go down I'll seriously consider coming back on board.

Lower ticket prices, better home schedule, quality team that won 9 games last year and an exciting new coach. Hard to imagine we don't see a ticket price rebound. Now make game day fun and like a real college football game and I'll come more often too. Kill failed at fixing that problem...lets see if Fleck and Coyle can get that fixed.

Last year was my first year without season tickets. It was mostly the huge donation level but it was also my boredom with the program. I'm going to be honest if the donation levels go down I'll seriously consider coming back on board.

I think a lot of recent former season ticket holders are right there with you.

So here are some counter arguments:

--The prices will go up someday. How long will this commitment be good for? Setting up for more anger in the future?

--Just hired a new coach with a powerful public presence who is making big predictions for the future. Should it be neccessary to discount the product? (I bet this line of thought will be used by media skeptics and others to ridicule the decision.)

--Paying $5M to say goodbye to the old staff. Money's gotta come from somewhere.

--Will almost certainly have the most expensive coaching staff in the program's history. Money's gotta come from somewhere.

--Have a big facilities upgrade in process. Money's gotta come from somewhere.

I am sure many of us would be happy to pay less, and getting lapsed fans back in seats would be awesome. But I think the Athletic Department simply must maximize its total revenue. I am skeptical that it can afford to do anything else with all its commitments. Perhaps lowering the donations would be a way to increase total revenue. It seems unlikely to me, but maybe it is possible.

This is another big decision that must be approached carefully. I hope it is. The last thing we need is a financial crisis on top of everything else.

For reference as people discuss this topic, I put together a blog post awhile back that outlines donation levels at various schools around the B1G:

https://mostdopesports.wordpress.co...eason-ticket-prices-a-comprehensive-overview/

I think Coyle definitely rolls back donation levels, the only question is how much.

Which of these programs qualify as "elite?"

But seriously, thanks for all the work you did to put this together. It is great information.

In essence in the metro what is wanted is a discounted entrance fee to a top notch program

So here are some counter arguments:

--The prices will go up someday. How long will this commitment be good for? Setting up for more anger in the future?

--Just hired a new coach with a powerful public presence who is making big predictions for the future. Should it be neccessary to discount the product? (I bet this line of thought will be used by media skeptics and others to ridicule the decision.)

--Paying $5M to say goodbye to the old staff. Money's gotta come from somewhere.

--Will almost certainly have the most expensive coaching staff in the program's history. Money's gotta come from somewhere.

--Have a big facilities upgrade in process. Money's gotta come from somewhere.

I am sure many of us would be happy to pay less, and getting lapsed fans back in seats would be awesome. But I think the Athletic Department simply must maximize its total revenue. I am skeptical that it can afford to do anything else with all its commitments. Perhaps lowering the donations would be a way to increase total revenue. It seems unlikely to me, but maybe it is possible.

This is another big decision that must be approached carefully. I hope it is. The last thing we need is a financial crisis on top of everything else.

At this point, it's a no-brainer. As stated earlier, B1G TV contract revenue bumps up significantly in coming years. I'm pretty confident any roll back will be a push with new season ticket sales and increased in stadium revenue. More people, more in stadium sales.

Top Bottom