Cover Songs

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
If we have an original song thread, we should have a covers song thread, I suppose. Came across this on Twitter today, I didn't realize that these two had collaborated on three cover CD's, covering a lot of the rock/pop standards from the '60s & 70s:

A tribute album of female artists covering Tom Waits came out earlier this year, haven't heard it all yet, but I really dig this version of Georgia Lee by Phoebe Bridgers:

Back in the 50's and 60's, it was much more common for people to put out their own version of a hit song. Some of that was due to race. because certain radio stations would not play records by black artists, people like Pat Boone would cut 'white' versions of R&B hits.

And there were singers who did not write their own material who would cover songs by lesser-known performers - i.e. Linda Ronstadt covering songs by Warren Zevon and Elvis Costello.

One of the more interesting ones was the Eagles covering "Ol '55" by Tom Waits on the 3rd Eagles album, "On the Border." (Waits did not like it....)

a lot of blues musicians tend to do their own versions of blues classics. like Voodoo Child by Hendrix - great cover by Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Back in the 50's and 60's, it was much more common for people to put out their own version of a hit song. Some of that was due to race. because certain radio stations would not play records by black artists, people like Pat Boone would cut 'white' versions of R&B hits.

And there were singers who did not write their own material who would cover songs by lesser-known performers - i.e. Linda Ronstadt covering songs by Warren Zevon and Elvis Costello.

One of the more interesting ones was the Eagles covering "Ol '55" by Tom Waits on the 3rd Eagles album, "On the Border." (Waits did not like it....)

a lot of blues musicians tend to do their own versions of blues classics. like Voodoo Child by Hendrix - great cover by Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Got ya covered. (Pun intended.) .

If we have an original song thread, we should have a covers song thread, I suppose. Came across this on Twitter today, I didn't realize that these two had collaborated on three cover CD's, covering a lot of the rock/pop standards from the '60s & 70s:

I think the Hoffs/Sweet collaboration started with working on the Austin Powers movies.

Anyway, here's another Matthew Sweet cover I dig, ELO - Do Ya.

Last edited:

Here's my favorite cover by any of the Beatles, either as a group or solo. John's rendition of the Ben E King classic, Stand by Me:

Last edited:

I think the Hoffs/Sweet collaboration started with working on the Austin Powers movies.
Sweet also produced what looks like the last Bangles album at his home studio. Includes a fantastic cover of Open my Eyes by The Nazz.

I have been a big Evan Dando/Lemonheads fan and while it's unfortunate he has not put out any original songs since 2006, he has released 2 cover albums, Varshons and Varshsons II. The sequel came out last year and with songs by both the Jayhawks (Settled Down Like Rain) and Paul Westerberg (Things) I was predisposed to being a fan of the album.

One of the other tracks is Round Here which I had assumed was going to be the Counting Crows song. Turns out it is actually a Florida Georgia Line cover. I had heard of them, but quite honestly would never been able to identify any of their songs, as I am not really a fan of new country. Anyway, great song and according to some google searches, Florida Georgia Line is a pretty big deal. I was oblivious.

Last edited:

Peter Gabriel's cover of "Boy in the Bubble" by Paul Simon gives you a powerful understanding of the lyrics that show how chilling the song really is.

Seems odd to call a Dylan song underrated, but I think this one is just that. Buffalo Tom with She Belongs to Me.

I almost put Birdy's debut album on the thread awhile back about "perfect" albums-it's an album of all covers. It's one of my favorite albums to listen to, especially when I need something mellow. I'll choose her version of Phoenix's "1901":

And here's the original, which I love, but how Birdy puts her own stamp on the song is quite masterful:

Same song, love both versions:
Miranda Lambert's cover:

John Prine's original:

Built to Spill put together a surprise concert a few years back at a coffee house and played a host of covers from Pavement, Blue Oyster Cult, The Rolling Stones, a host of others and this, my favorite song from New Order (the whole concert is available to watch on YouTube-the hipster watching is Grade A, prime cut-my favorite is the madras shirt, khaki wearing fellow that found a prime spot against the brick wall):

In 1949, Burl Ives released the first cover of Stan Jones' classic "Riders in the Sky". The song has since been famously covered by Vaughn Monroe, Johnny Cash and countless posse's of western, folk, country and rock musicians to this day. Hell it's been covered by non-musicians. Its a song that has covers of covers. It's never going away.

Here are Ives' 1949 version and the The Outlaws cover from 1980.

Love this movie. Love this scene.

Original

Cage the Elephant

Billie Joe Armstrong

I really don't like Guns and Roses....but this is amazing. Released on July 20th 2020, Chris's 56th birthday. R.I.P. one of the greatest leads of all time.

Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls is a great song. The cover by Breaking Benjamin and Diamante does it justice. I like it more.

Side note.....Breaking Benjamin is the best post 00's rock band. We Are Not Alone is a top fifteen all time album. Just my opinions.

Three Days Grace covering Gotye. Not as good as the original imo.

Under Pressure is my favorite Queen song. It's probably also my favorite Bowie song.

Heard this on Outlaw Country, Karen O & Willie:

Suck it Mr Vanilla Ice.

Charlie T Wilbury Jr covering his brother Nelson, Taxman:

I'm surprised no one has yet posted a songs from bands who made a career of playing covers. Hayseed Dixie and Me First & the Gimme Gimmes come immediately to mind.

The original: Bob

The Cover: Nico
And here's my favorite version. Suzanna Hoffs on Vocals, David Roback then of Rain Parade and later the founder of Mazzy Star, Will Glenn of Rain Parade and Michael Quercio of The Three O'Clock.

Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls is a great song. The cover by Breaking Benjamin and Diamante does it justice. I like it more.

Side note.....Breaking Benjamin is the best post 00's rock band. We Are Not Alone is a top fifteen all time album. Just my opinions.

Thanks for sharing this. I mostly agree with you on Breaking Benjamin, but they still rank just a small step behind Chevelle in my mind. We Are Not Alone is one of my favorite albums.

Top Bottom