Cover Songs

Ope3

Reaction score
Sweet & Hoffs covering the R.E.M. classic, Sitting Still.

I'm glad they could figure out the lyrics, I have even heard Stipe say sometimes he wasn't sure what the actual words are.

Last edited:

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
I will not apologize for thinking this is the greatest cover version of any song. Ever.

Ope3

Reaction score
From his Georgia Blue covers/tribute effort, here's Jason Isbell with R.E.M.'s Nightswimming

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
If this hasn't already been posted, I came across this tonight as I'm digging through some long ago saved music pieces, Angelique Kidjo covering The Talking Heads' "Once In A Lifetime". According to the article, she re-made the entire Remain in Light album, so this is a taste of it:

Ope3

Reaction score
Going back to their shows at the Uptown Bar & Grill, Golden Smog covering the Faces has always been a crowd favorite. Here they are at what I think is the Basilica Block Party in 1996.

Glad and Sorry

Recently at 1st Ave, not much worse for wear.

Ope3

Reaction score
While heading down the rabbit hole on youtube, I found this Monkees classic covered often by Westerberg during his Eventually tour. Audio only. Daydream Believer

Ope3

Reaction score
My Idea was on Evan Dando's woefully underrated Baby I'm Bored solo effort. It is a cover of someone named Chris Brokow, and is sadly beautiful.

Here it is paired with the Lemonheads It's About Time which is not a cover, unless you count solo efforts that were originally band efforts as they do on Setlist.com. Probably too complicated of an effort for the computer to sort out.

Ope3

Reaction score
30 years ago, almost exactly to the day, the Gear Daddies rolled into Northfield. They were playing in front of the Carleton student union in the common area on a wonderful late spring evening. As a townie, pretty easy to crash, just throw on a Knights t-shirt and blend right in. Nobody was checking my SAT score.

I figured this may be the last time, perhaps, to see them ever. They announced that they were calling it quits and their final shows were fast approaching.

After maybe 2 songs, a couple of coeds screamed a request for a cover. Martin Zellar, politely let them down and declined. Song after song they pleaded, even though the guys from Austin were clicking with originals from their 2 albums to the rest of the audience's approval. He explained with only a few shows left, they wanted to focus on their own stuff.

The girls did not relent. Equal parts charming and annoying.

By the time they returned for an encore, Zellar shrugged and simply stated, "You win."

Jessie's Girl

It took a decade, but they did eventually reform for reunion shows. Still a good time.

Last edited:

Ope3

Reaction score
Evan Dando performing perhaps my favorite Jayhawks tune. Settled Down Like Rain

Ope3

Reaction score
Sean Ono Lennon with a beautiful tribute to Paul.

Here, There and Everywhere

Top Bottom