Cory Joseph's coach

I hate the fact that this coach has his own agenda for what he thinks would be "best" for Cory. Ugh.

I hate the fact that this coach has his own agenda for what he thinks would be "best" for Cory. Ugh.

well i think its ok to have that, just thinking that UNLV is a good place kinda ruins the whole thing..hah..its like iowa landing Brandon Knight

The fact that he lists UNLV as one of the most attractive options leads me to think he's simply pimping old buddy Lon Kruger and telling the Vegas fans what they want to hear. I would be really surprised if UNLV is the pick. I can also understand the pimping of Texas considering one of his best players in Tristan Thompson is going there and he therefore has to say a bunch of nice things about coach Barnes and the Longhorns. As for the connection to Villanova, I can understand the desire to play for a coach like Jay Wright. I would think the most attractive school on that list would be Villanova to be honest.

Having said all that, I still think it's probably between Texas and the Gophers. But that's just an uninformed shot in the dark.

The fact that he lists UNLV as one of the most attractive options leads me to think he's simply pimping old buddy Lon Kruger and telling the Vegas fans what they want to hear. I would be really surprised if UNLV is the pick. I can also understand the pimping of Texas considering one of his best players in Tristan Thompson is going there and he therefore has to say a bunch of nice things about coach Barnes and the Longhorns. As for the connection to Villanova, I can understand the desire to play for a coach like Jay Wright. I would think the most attractive school on that list would be Villanova to be honest.

Having said all that, I still think it's probably between Texas and the Gophers. But that's just an uninformed shot in the dark.

I tend to agree here. Nova makes the most sense since its a guard oriented offense where you can score. Honestly i bet it is down to Texas, Minnesota and Nova. These 3 schools make the most sense for Cory to go to.

My point is that only Cory (and his family) can decide which school is best for him. His coach should just sit back and shut up, and be happy with whatever decision Cory makes. The minute coaches like this start to publicly state which places would be "best" for a kid, you have to start wondering whether the coach is saying that for the kid, or for his own future benefit.

My point is that only Cory (and his family) can decide which school is best for him. His coach should just sit back and shut up, and be happy with whatever decision Cory makes. The minute coaches like this start to publicly state which places would be "best" for a kid, you have to start wondering whether the coach is saying that for the kid, or for his own future benefit.

Most coaches have no idea how to just "shut-up".

Scary part about Texas is Tristan Thompson is one of his best friends. Actually before Walker showed up, Thompson was always mentioned as his "best bud".

CJ will be a Gopher. My guess is he signs on Friday.

Scary part about Texas is Tristan Thompson is one of his best friends. Actually before Walker showed up, Thompson was always mentioned as his "best bud".

My guess is Devoe has pretty good ties with Cory as well. Just going out on a limb folks...

He may be throwing the UNLV coach a bone, but I think he is pretty spot on about Texas and Villlanova. When push comes to shove, I really think Cory is going to end up deciding between the most established programs as the allure of playing in the spot light will be too much to pass up.

What if his coach was publicly stating his support for our beloved Gophers?

He may be throwing the UNLV coach a bone, but I think he is pretty spot on about Texas and Villlanova. When push comes to shove, I really think Cory is going to end up deciding between the most established programs as the allure of playing in the spot light will be too much to pass up.

Trust me. If Cory joins this recruiting class, and plays for the Gophers, there will be plenty of time in the spot light for the Minnesota program. It's not like Minnesota is a second-rate program, folks.

What if his coach was publicly stating his support for our beloved Gophers?

I'd honestly still feel the same way. Yes, I'd be excited. But I think a coach should be there to help the kid through the process, and NOT to steer that kid where HE wants to see him wind up. The kid is the one who needs to make the decision. And the thing that makes me wonder about this coach is the fact that he's already helped to lead a couple recruits to Texas, so I'm wondering if there's something in it for him.

If Cory isn't going to listen to his Mom and his brother, he sure isn't going to listen to his coach. I hope that he ends up at the U, but the competition for his services are beyond tough. If you look at the 5 programs - UConn, Tx and Nova are definitely a few notches above the Gophers and UNLV. I still think it's a race between Tx and Nova, with the Gophers having an outside chance. Signing Mo will definitely help a bit....

Taking my bias out of the equation, if I were him I would sign with 'Nova. Jay Wright is the complete coaching package.

Joseph

Nova is the one that scares me.. Good coach and a system for guards. Jay Wright lets his guards play and C. Joseph style fits Nova nicely.

Texas has the flash, the glitz and Thompson but Texas has underacheived the last few years. Their roster has been a revolving door the last few years.

If he goes to Nova disappointed but cant blame him.

If he goes to Texas and Minnesota was his second choice I would be real disappointed.

If he goes anywhere but Minnesota I blame GL for her constant harassment of texting Mo Walker. She has got to stop! :rolleyes:

If he goes anywhere but Minnesota I blame GL for her constant harassment of texting Mo Walker. She has got to stop! :rolleyes:

Do you realize that your signature has a grammatical mistake? "The Beaver Dynasty has began..." is incorrect. It should read "The Beaver Dynasty has begun..."

Trust me. If Cory joins this recruiting class, and plays for the Gophers, there will be plenty of time in the spot light for the Minnesota program. It's not like Minnesota is a second-rate program, folks.

We are nowhere near Villanova or Texas right now. We are actually a second rate program if you want to get technical about it. Our last sweet sixteen appearance was in 1990. Yes, 1990. We last won the Big 10 Title without cheating in 1982. Explain to me how this is not second rate. Tubby makes for an intriguing argument, but if you take him out of the picture we are nothing. When was the last time we won a major recruiting battle outside of our state for a top 50 prospect?

Not trying to be negative but this board needs a realist point of view sometimes. We have a LONG ways to go if you want to mention us in the breath of other top programs. If Cory's brother did not play here, we would have had ZERO percent chance of landing him here.

You would expect the coach to throw UNLV in there since the article is in the Vegas Review-Journal. He's trying to keep a friend.

I'd honestly still feel the same way. Yes, I'd be excited. But I think a coach should be there to help the kid through the process, and NOT to steer that kid where HE wants to see him wind up. The kid is the one who needs to make the decision. And the thing that makes me wonder about this coach is the fact that he's already helped to lead a couple recruits to Texas, so I'm wondering if there's something in it for him.

Wow, that is impressive that you can know from one article what this coach's discussions and intentions are with his players.

This guy is one of the bigger tools on GH.......

Wow, that is impressive that you can know from one article what this coach's discussions and intentions are with his players.

He has the word "wonder" in there twice, is that not enough for you to understand that he is not stating he feels that is fact and "knows" that is indeed the coach's intentions? Also, if you don't think some Prep School and JUCO coaches steer players to certain coaches in hopes of gaining some kind of benefit down the road you are simply showing how unaware you are, now that is impressive.

Why don't you take your depressing attitude back to the Cornhusker board, or do you use this forum and a spring board to get all your depressing thoughts off your chest? Sad sad little man.

Oh, and Mo Walker signed today, so all the hopes you had of him not signing so you could respond with more negative posts in those threads are out the window.

We are nowhere near Villanova or Texas right now. We are actually a second rate program if you want to get technical about it. Our last sweet sixteen appearance was in 1990. Yes, 1990. We last won the Big 10 Title without cheating in 1982. Explain to me how this is not second rate. Tubby makes for an intriguing argument, but if you take him out of the picture we are nothing. When was the last time we won a major recruiting battle outside of our state for a top 50 prospect?

Not trying to be negative but this board needs a realist point of view sometimes. We have a LONG ways to go if you want to mention us in the breath of other top programs. If Cory's brother did not play here, we would have had ZERO percent chance of landing him here.

To answer your question: 2008. Ralph Sampson, four-star from Georgia. Rated #50 by Scout.com.

This just solidifies what I have been thinking all along. The fact that Minnesota couldn't lure Cory in with his BROTHER on the team doesn't look good. I honestly wonder what Devoe is saying to him. It doesn't seem like he's going with the "let's pay together and make this a family package deal." I think Devoe's probably doing the reputable thing and telling his brother to make the best decision for him individually. I'm not saying Devoe doesn't think it would be cool to play with Cory, but he wants what's best for his bro. What would you do?
Bottom line, I don't think Devoe has been recruiting him as hard as one might think.
I could be way off on this, but come on! He's his big brother. I always looked up to my big brother.

I wasn't stating ANYTHING as a fact. Good grief, guys. I was just stating that I thought the coach should keep his thoughts to himself, and not publicly share his opinions of what places are "best" for Cory.

This just solidifies what I have been thinking all along. The fact that Minnesota couldn't lure Cory in with his BROTHER on the team doesn't look good. I honestly wonder what Devoe is saying to him. It doesn't seem like he's going with the "let's pay together and make this a family package deal." I think Devoe's probably doing the reputable thing and telling his brother to make the best decision for him individually. I'm not saying Devoe doesn't think it would be cool to play with Cory, but he wants what's best for his bro. What would you do?

What are you talking about? Cory hasn't made up his mind yet and the coach admits he has no idea where Cory is leaning. His statements don't prove anything other than he wants Cory to go to either Texas, UNLV or Villanova. That's the beginning and the end of what this article ultimately means.

Bottom line, I don't think Devoe has been recruiting him as hard as one might think.
I could be way off on this, but come on! He's his big brother. I always looked up to my big brother.

It's not like the Gophs went after some no name that was friends with Cory. They got the 118th best player in the nation.

He has the word "wonder" in there twice, is that not enough for you to understand that he is not stating he feels that is fact and "knows" that is indeed the coach's intentions? Also, if you don't think some Prep School and JUCO coaches steer players to certain coaches in hopes of gaining some kind of benefit down the road you are simply showing how unaware you are, now that is impressive.

Why don't you take your depressing attitude back to the Cornhusker board, or do you use this forum and a spring board to get all your depressing thoughts off your chest? Sad sad little man.

Oh, and Mo Walker signed today, so all the hopes you had of him not signing so you could respond with more negative posts in those threads are out the window.

You don't know me, so stop right now with the "he just posts negative messages" line of thinking. I'm one of the most pro-Minnesota guys you could run into. If you read my posts, you'd see that I have wanted nothing more than for Maurice Walker and Cory Joseph to sign with the Gophers, so I am ecstatic at the news about Mo today!

Oh, and I absolutely HATE the Cornhuskers, so it's funny that you decided to lump me in with the garbage that inhabits Lincoln, Nebraska.

Top Bottom