CONGRATS ALABAMA ON YOUR 8 CUTS!

+1 This is exactly why the NCAA needs to do something. Either step in and force schools to quit oversigning or abolish the rule that forces transfers to sit out a year. Schools need to make the same commitment to the kids that the kids make to the schools.

This is a possibility. But at the logical extreme, if kids could transfer without sitting out a year the Alabama's of the world would oversign by 25 or 50... and tell them that they can leave whenever they wanted without penalty. Rosters would be a revolving door. I hate Iowa but I think that Hayden Fry had incredibly little player turnover, he seemed to care about those kids, no matter if they were stars or not.

This is a possibility. But at the logical extreme, if kids could transfer without sitting out a year the Alabama's of the world would oversign by 25 or 50... and tell them that they can leave whenever they wanted without penalty. Rosters would be a revolving door. I hate Iowa but I think that Hayden Fry had incredibly little player turnover, he seemed to care about those kids, no matter if they were stars or not.

Allowing players to transfer without sitting out isn't the best solution but right now there isn't a solution in place and all are on the table. IMO it would probably be better to force schools to quit oversigning and offer the same commitment the kids have for being there.

There are 85 scholarships. That allows for several misses and still have a NC-calibar program. Forcing a kid out that wants to stay with the program isn't cool IMO.

There are 85 scholarships. That allows for several misses and still have a NC-calibar program. Forcing a kid out that wants to stay with the program isn't cool IMO.
When you sign on the dotted line as a kid ….. you have signed up to be at every workout, not to miss class, to be at practice , to work when no one is looking ………..so as the be the best and work your way up the roster and contribute
if these high end talent kids didn't put the work they don't deserve to keep their scholarship…. just as you may have graduated top of your class in your field and got offered a plum job…..if when you go to this job you just sit at your desk and troll gopher hole and other sports sites take 2 hr lunches how long you think they will keep you on ?????? or are you entitled to that job due to your talent you showed previously

From a year ago but- Interesting read speaking of 'Bama (and recently Bielema). Once of the positions 'Bama is heavy at is RB, it is rumored in the OP article that Tyren Jones is the most likely back to "transfer". Jones is referenced in the article as one of last years top recruits for them. Thought it was a good read a year after the fact. Fits here with both this thread and the Ragnow thead (with regard to Arkansas recruiting). Sorry if already posted.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/6/39..._medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom

When you sign on the dotted line as a kid ….. you have signed up to be at every workout, not to miss class, to be at practice , to work when no one is looking ………..so as the be the best and work your way up the roster and contribute
if these high end talent kids didn't put the work they don't deserve to keep their scholarship…. just as you may have graduated top of your class in your field and got offered a plum job…..if when you go to this job you just sit at your desk and troll gopher hole and other sports sites take 2 hr lunches how long you think they will keep you on ?????? or are you entitled to that job due to your talent you showed previously

Uhm...you're not very good at this. Maybe you should stick to your bison sites.

From a year ago but- Interesting read speaking of 'Bama (and recently Bielema). Once of the positions 'Bama is heavy at is RB, it is rumored in the OP article that Tyren Jones is the most likely back to "transfer". Jones is referenced in the article as one of last years top recruits for them. Thought it was a good read a year after the fact. Fits here with both this thread and the Ragnow thead (with regard to Arkansas recruiting). Sorry if already posted.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/6/39..._medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom

That's hard to read when they paint fat bert in such a positive light when we all know he's a fraud and a drunk ahole.
He's sold other people's success at wisky better than I ever would have thought though. I bet Chryst has a hard time recruiting when Builimia's taking credit for his offense and for Bostad's O-linemen.
$EC football is the reason the NCAA doesn't/can't crack down on the shady recruiting stuff, too much money down there, too much power lies in those programs' continued success.

This is clearly crummy and shouldn't be allowed, IMO. However, it's ironic that there's a thread on the basketball board about whether we can sign two more kids and assurances that a 'scholarship will be made available' if we can get them both. Everybody does it once in a while. Alabama is just one of the worst offenders. And there's really no excuse for doing it in football, IMO.

I think this is a crappy way to treat players . Having said that, I obviously feel bad for the first players this happens to with any coach, but for every player after that, you are on notice. If future recruits want to go to Alabama (and there are lots of good reasons to want to go there) having seen that this is what Alabama does, I am not going to shed any tears if it happens to them because they knew the risks, and chose to roll the dice.

Agreed.

What makes you think that the players being forced off the team skipped workouts, classes, practices, or any other school or team function? I agree that if this is the case.......the school shouldn't have to commit to the player. I've seen nothing to suggest that this is the case.

The Bama Way, from the comments section:
A kid has been in the program for two or three years. He hasn’t seen the field and has clearly been passed on the depth chart by someone younger. Coach sits him down and advises him that it would likely be in his best interests to transfer to another school where he has a better chance at seeing the field, and even helps him find a landing spot.

What an asshole that coach is, eh?

This comment by the Alabama fan would make sense if the player wasn't forced out. If Saban goes to the kids and says that he doesn't think he'll see the field and if he wants to look elsewhere to play, Saban and the other coaches will help him, then I see no problem with it. But to go to someone and say you're done here....oh but I'll "help" you look elsewhere doesn't make him look like a great guy like this post is making it seem.

Top Bottom