CONGRATS ALABAMA ON YOUR 8 CUTS!

The Bama Way, from the comments section:
A kid has been in the program for two or three years. He hasn’t seen the field and has clearly been passed on the depth chart by someone younger. Coach sits him down and advises him that it would likely be in his best interests to transfer to another school where he has a better chance at seeing the field, and even helps him find a landing spot.

What an asshole that coach is, eh?

Look.....you could say that it is in a players best interest to move to another program.....but the player should have a say in the matter. Forcing a kid out, who could have accepted other offers out of high school, is a far cry from a mutual decision on both ends. To argue that this is ok, is to say that running someone over in your metaphorical truck is acceptable as long as you win.

This publicity is really gonna hurt Bama's recruiting.

I fail to see how giving someone a free ride at college for three years is so terrible. We truly live in an entitled society. I would have loved to get three years of my education paid for by riding the pine for the Gophers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The point is that the player and their family trusted that the coach would look out for them. It is the coach's fault if he misjudged the talent level of the player. He was promised a scholarship and most likely could have gone anywhere in the country if Bama was offering him.

I fail to see how giving someone a free ride at college for three years is so terrible. We truly live in an entitled society. I would have loved to get three years of my education paid for by riding the pine for the Gophers.

When a kid commits to a school, he commits for 4 or 5 years, not 1 year. The school should not be able to only commit to a recruit for 1 year when he is unable to do the same to the school (without limitations).

He was asked/begged to go to the school to earn his degree. I have no issue with the situation if coaches recruited kids by implying that they will have a scholarship until they get passed on the depth chart. That is simply not what happens. It's not entitled for a kid to expect the school to hold up to their end of the bargain. You can't compare yourself to these athletes. It's supply and demand, multiple schools offered to pay for their educations and Bama welched on their end of the bargain.

Furthermore, it remains awful because these kids will have to sit out if they want to transfer to D1 school. The coach (who made the promise and then backed out) doesn't have to sit out a year of coaching. When coaches are allowed to do this, the only person who is not being forced to live up to his end of the bargain is the player. It's disgusting.

I think the NCAA needs to step in on this one. I think once you promise a kid a scholarship it is his unless he does something like breaking the law.

He was asked/begged to go to the school to earn his degree. I have no issue with the situation if coaches recruited kids by implying that they will have a scholarship until they get passed on the depth chart. That is simply not what happens. It's not entitled for a kid to expect the school to hold up to their end of the bargain. You can't compare yourself to these athletes. It's supply and demand, multiple schools offered to pay for their educations and Bama welched on their end of the bargain.

Furthermore, it remains awful because these kids will have to sit out if they want to transfer to D1 school. The coach (who made the promise and then backed out) doesn't have to sit out a year of coaching. When coaches are allowed to do this, the only person who is not being forced to live up to his end of the bargain is the player. It's disgusting.

I agree on the point about kids having to sit out a year. If a kid is getting forced out he should be able to go wherever and play immediately.

Are scholarships really for four/five years or is that just something that's assumed?

False promises are a part of life. Can't tell you how many times I've been promised something by an employer that hasn't come to be. If a school has a legal obligation to cover a kid for four years that's a different story, IMO.

Classy move. It's not too late J.C., get out while you can.

I agree on the point about kids having to sit out a year. If a kid is getting forced out he should be able to go wherever and play immediately.

Are scholarships really for four/five years or is that just something that's assumed?

False promises are a part of life. Can't tell you how many times I've been promised something by an employer that hasn't come to be. If a school has a legal obligation to cover a kid for four years that's a different story, IMO.

A scholarship is sold by the coaches as 4/5 years and it's thought of as gospel by players. They choose schools based upon their major and certain programs (if they need to switch schools half way through, what does it matter how good MNs business school is?).

I agree, broken promises are part of life. However, people who routinely break promises to benefit themselves are absolute scumbags. That's all we are saying.

That is total Bull$hit in bold.

Bob is spot on.

Alabama is only acting in the interest of football and not education. The reason for a college is education and then football (not necessarily 2nd). At what point will this hurt recruiting? Is there a smoking gun here? Sure looks suspicious like a lack of institutional control.

It's also real life. Someone who doesn't perform to management's standards is replaced. Someone who escalates their salary by staying with a company for period of years is replaced by someone who can maybe do the job almost as well but much cheaper.

Each case is individual but in the Alabama instances it's likely "disgusting" because of the blind greed to win.

Scholarahips are awarded on a yearly basis. I however agree with the point that unless they arent making grades or breaking the law, there should be sone form of responsibility carried by the coaches.

A scholarship is sold by the coaches as 4/5 years and it's thought of as gospel by players. They choose schools based upon their major and certain programs (if they need to switch schools half way through, what does it matter how good MNs business school is?).

I agree, broken promises are part of life. However, people who routinely break promises to benefit themselves are absolute scumbags. That's all we are saying.

Fair points.

I already did by bolding what I did. I called BS, you say to me "elaborate". I call BS.

And pray tell, how do you possess such an intimate knowledge of my life?

And pray tell, how do you possess such an intimate knowledge of my life?

Look, Jesh. you claimed something that I called BS. It is up to you to elaborate why I called your BS on it.

I don't know one intimate thing about your life but when you claimed promises made to you by employers and those promises were not kept, I called you on it. You have top prove your claim, sir.

Look, Jesh. you claimed something that I called BS. It is up to you to elaborate why I called your BS on it.[/]

I don't have to prove jack to you. I think almost everybody can say the same. If life has been all sunshine and roses for you, and nobodies ever made false promises to you I say congratulations.

Now can we please get back to discussing football and stop with the personal attacks?

Bob: "A scholarship is sold by the coaches as 4/5 years and it's thought of as gospel by players. They choose schools based upon their major and certain programs (if they need to switch schools half way through, what does it matter how good MNs business school is?).

I agree, broken promises are part of life. However, people who routinely break promises to benefit themselves are absolute scumbags. That's all we are saying."

Totally agree but two things since we are talking Alabama only. 1. Scholarships are year to year by rule. 2 There is a story every single year of Alabama doing exactly this same thing. The person chose to go there eyes wide open. They just said that won't happen to me.

When a kid commits to a school, he commits for 4 or 5 years, not 1 year. The school should not be able to only commit to a recruit for 1 year when he is unable to do the same to the school (without limitations).

Exactly. These players are not committing to the schools wondering where they will play the next year. Many of these kids assume that the school will be their home for the next four or five (maybe more) years. If they are Alabama scholarship players......they likely had a number of other offers at schools that wouldn't nudge them out.

It's also real life. Someone who doesn't perform to management's standards is replaced. Someone who escalates their salary by staying with a company for period of years is replaced by someone who can maybe do the job almost as well but much cheaper.

Not true for a government job, and probably not true for a lot of union jobs, but for the most part true.

There is a story every single year of Alabama doing exactly this same thing. The person chose to go there eyes wide open. They just said that won't happen to me.

Bingo. That could never happen to me! I'm on the fast track to the League!!

If life has been all sunshine and roses for you, and nobodies ever made false promises to you I say congratulations.

Totally agree but two things since we are talking Alabama only. 1. Scholarships are year to year by rule. 2 There is a story every single year of Alabama doing exactly this same thing. The person chose to go there eyes wide open. They just said that won't happen to me.

Nobody is trying to say that Saban should be locked up. Simply saying that this is a crumby way to treat players that chose your school over others. I don't see how either of you can justify this as acceptable.

Jeshurun: I don't believe for one second that you didn't feel slighted by a broken promise from an employer. Also......what kind of promise are we talking about? A promise of the same capacity as being booted off a team and out of a school?

Does each school have their own scholarship document? If so, what stops them from putting in language that renews a scholarship on an annual basis rather than a 4 or 5 year period of time. Thus, there would be a mutual agreement between the athlete and the university when the players signs the LOI and be understood by both parties.

Players can choose to transfer at any time as well which could leave the school in a bind so it couid work both ways.

Nobody is trying to say that Saban should be locked up. Simply saying that this is a crumby way to treat players that chose your school over others. I don't see how either of you can justify this as acceptable.

Jeshurun: I don't believe for one second that you didn't feel slighted by a broken promise from an employer. Also......what kind of promise are we talking about? A promise of the same capacity as being booted off a team and out of a school?

Of course I've felt slighted. But I think it's true that an individual is responsible for what promises they choose to believe. Let the buyer beware. I think that type of personal responsibility has gone missing in our society.

I've lost several thousands of dollars in raises and bonuses that were "promised" (not in any sort of contractual or legally binding way) but not delivered. I'm just saying this is part of life. Sometimes people aren't even trying to screw you over, situations change. Maybe you didn't perform as well as they'd hoped. Maybe there's an economic downturn. I think sheltering these college kids from all that could possibly set them up for a bigger and harsher dose of reality later on. And these aren't employees IMO - they are students getting free tuition, board, tutors, etc to play a game.

That's just my opinion and nothing I can prove. And I'm willing to concede that I could be wrong.

The reason we "pretend" to care about these poor souls being shown the door in Tuscaloosa is because they chose that school over ours and we wish we were the ones legally cleaning house for our next class full of five-star recruits.

Look, Jesh. you claimed something that I called BS. It is up to you to elaborate why I called your BS on it.[/]

I don't have to prove jack to you. I think almost everybody can say the same. If life has been all sunshine and roses for you, and nobodies ever made false promises to you I say congratulations.

Now can we please get back to discussing football and stop with the personal attacks?

Yes that was an out of the blue attack. Is dr don aying employers are always white knights with the best of intentions.

I have been party to and aware of other's situations where eg dependent medical insurance was cut with promises of raises to offset the shortfall (that never came) and working condition promises, workloads that were not exactly accurate. I'm sure this is widespread depending on the management.

Not sure of the rationale for the attack on jeshurun?

Top Bottom