Conference Championship Weekend Thread

Alabama
Michigan
Cincinnati
Baylor

We know Ohio State, Georgia, Notre Dame have already lost to teams on this list and by default are not championship teams. I haven’t seen Baylor or Cincinnati play, nor have they already convincingly lost head to head to any of these teams, as OSU, GA, and ND have.

Do the games mean anything, anymore?
They all mattered. Including Baylor having 2 losses. They are out. Georgia in as it should be.

Best case scenario after tonight:
1. Bama
2. Meat-Chicken
3. Georgia
4. Cincy

Avoid an SEC rematch right away, and fulfill the network fantasy of a possible all SEC Semi.
Michigan has a better chance vs GA than AL to disrupt the above opinion.
Doesn’t matter who Cincy plays, they get the snot knocked out of them no matter who they face, and I hope that makes “the powers that be” realize that 8 teams is right for expansion, and there is no reason to make it 12 .

I have no idea what the CFP rankings will be by the end of tomorrow, but there is no way you can convince me that after a full season (earn a shot at a playoff scenario) + conference championship weekend (default round 2 of the playoffs) that there will be a total of 12 teams that truly deserve a shot at being in a playoff. Didn’t win a division in conference? Out. Lost a conference championship game? Out.

You don’t get two bites at the apple.

oh, and Cincy is going to get POUNDED.

Iowegians backed into a championship game they had no business playing, and got ball stomped. Delicious. Me, I’m going to enjoy the replays of jump around and will hopefully be seeing the country music hall of fame in a few weeks. Enjoy the national coverage, Iowa. You earned it.

The semi’s will likely be Bama/Cincy and MI/GA. The committee will avoid an all-SEC semi.
The committee has said hundreds of times they don’t care about a semifinal being a rematch. This is the year to prove that wasn’t a lie.

They all mattered. Including Baylor having 2 losses. They are out. Georgia in as it should be.

Baylor won their conference at the end of the year, defeating the team they narrowly lost to earlier in the year. Georgia was not close to defeating Alabama at the end of the season, not do they have a sparkling resume.

We don‘t already know Baylor is worse than Georgia (certainly could be, but nobody knows for certain head to head, matchups and so on) . We know Georgia is worse than Alabama.

The committee has said hundreds of times they don’t care about a semifinal being a rematch. This is the year to prove that wasn’t a lie.

Georgia has the worst resume and should be 4th, if they’re going to be in, which they shouldn’t. I get the notion everyone had this idea they were the best SEC team this year and therefore “has” to be included in the CFP (because!), but that fake narrative was pretty quickly destroyed early on today.

this might get ugly. This is part of why i never understood the GA love. The O just ain't very good
Georgia is straight up not good on offense.

Wisconsin of the south but the sec east is not as deep as the big ten west

Again, ANYONE that won a conference.

Is this a basketball thing, or?
The playoff has three games to determine the best team in the conference amongst 130 teams who played 12-13 games.

why would we waste one of the spots on a team who has already been proven not to be the best. They lost by 17 on a neutral field. They aren’t the best.

they might be the second best but they aren’t the best so we shouldn’t use one of our 3 spots wasted on a team we already know isn’t the best

The playoff has three games to determine the best team in the conference amongst 130 teams who played 12-13 games.

why would we waste one of the spots on a team who has already been proven not to be the best. They lost by 17 on a neutral field. They aren’t the best.

they might be the second best but they aren’t the best so we shouldn’t use one of our 3 spots wasted on a team we already know isn’t the best

Bingo. How is this not 100% conventional wisdom?

Bingo. How is this not 100% conventional wisdom?
Because the committee has been given a stupid task that is impossible

“Pick the 4 best teams”

it is 100% purely subjective

other metric:
Pick the best 4 team playoff to figure out the best of 130

Because the committee has been given a stupid task that is impossible

Pick the 4 best teams

it is 100% purely subjective

other metric:
Pick the best 4 team playoff to figure out the best of 130

This is objectively and subjectively impossible which is, of course, why the games are played in the first place rather than running 1M computer simulations and declaring a winner.

The whole thing is so dumb it’s almost enough to stop watching. Almost. I hold out hope a rational postseason will emerge but the rumblings don’t sound good.

ACC could legit get left out of the NY6 this year, regardless who wins, since Orange Bowl is a semi this year.

Just shows how mediocre the conf is when Clemson or Florida State aren't at Alabama level.
The ACC still gets an auto bid regardless to 1 of the other NY6 bowls.

MN or WIS would have put up a better fight. I have no real doubt about that. Iowa is good but their offense is just putrid. We had to give them some real gifts to put up the points they did against us. Just a horrible offensive team.
I would have stopped watching it because their O was so bad, but the crowd shots of the forlornly fans of the Pig compelled me - it was like watching a multi-hour train wreck in slow Mo

Pretty sure that Tim Brando and Spencer Tillman are hammered on the call for USC and Cal.

They knew nobody was watching?
Or you had to be at their level to stay up that late, after an all day CFB bonanza, for a meaningless game between 2 crap teams?

i finally found a worse dancer than moi and Elaine Benes - tanks intoxication!

Iowegians backed into a championship game they had no business playing, and got ball stomped. Delicious. Me, I’m going to enjoy the replays of jump around and will hopefully be seeing the country music hall of fame in a few weeks. Enjoy the national coverage, Iowa. You earned it.
I'm starting to think they aren't the #2 team in the nation :ROFLMAO:

Anyone who won a conference
then just autobid it to be the P5 champs and the best G5. 6 team playoff. top 2 seeds get byes.

but, ya know, that isn't what the committee is asked to do. you know that and I know that and there is no way you can put resumes up and put someone else in over them. I agree it's bullshit and in part is due to the conflated view of the SEC (GA is going to have ranked wins where ND doesn't and everyone else has lost twice).

I'm sitting in a Vegas sports
book doing just that very thing, no joke.
Cal capped a pretty good day of action for me, 5-2 on College Football. Still down after a dreadful Wed-Fri. Who would of thought the TWolves could cover against the Nets +8 without KAT?!? Not this guy.

I went to the PAC 12 game on Fri. Amazing setting at the Raiders new stadium, felt like a Utah home game. While about 10,000 short of a sellout, feels like it will be there going forward since that was way more than they were getting in Santa Clara. Maybe the Rams new stadium will put in a bid though.

Why is Klatt talking about avoiding a rematch and in the same breath putting GA at #3. That‘s nonsensical. Georgia should be OUT. We know they are not as good as Alabama. Period. What’s the point?

Because they have only one loss. Aren't many teams of stature left with one loss. if you don't take Georgia, then you have to go down to Notre Dame.

Baylor won their conference at the end of the year, defeating the team they narrowly lost to earlier in the year. Georgia was not close to defeating Alabama at the end of the season, not do they have a sparkling resume.

We don‘t already know Baylor is worse than Georgia (certainly could be, but nobody knows for certain head to head, matchups and so on) . We know Georgia is worse than Alabama.

If they move down to 2 loss teams, then they would have a more difficult decision on who to select. If they stick to one-loss teams, then it's either Georgia or Notre Dame.

then just autobid it to be the P5 champs and the best G5. 6 team playoff. top 2 seeds get byes.

but, ya know, that isn't what the committee is asked to do. you know that and I know that and there is no way you can put resumes up and put someone else in over them. I agree it's bullshit and in part is due to the conflated view of the SEC (GA is going to have ranked wins where ND doesn't and everyone else has lost twice).
Yeah. If Oklahoma state had won they would’ve deserved it over Georgia but Georgia would’ve gotten in.

But it doesn’t matter because ok state lost

Top Bottom