Complain about a lack of talent all you want

frozengopher

Devious and Conniving Member
Reaction score
... but this comes down to a bullheaded commitment to offensive playcalling that is scarily reminiscent to last year, and a complete and utter lack of execution and discipline. There is no excuse for a deficit like this at the half. There isn't a single building block here; we can't even look at this from an independent perspective and say, "Hey, at least we aren't committing stupid penalties now!" because WE ARE.

I'm at a loss. I can't put my finger on any way to change this crap, from administration to coaching to players. It's all teh suck, and I can't stop watching. Being a Gopher fan should be an entry in the DSM-IV.

Re:

You're right. The play calling is peculiar. In particular, the situational play calling is maddening. It's further magnified by the lack of a concentrated effort to get the ball to Lair, McKnight and Bennett. The stubborn factor is either high or Limegrover's IQ dropped 80 points when he occupied Jedd Fisch's office.

I don't understand why in the first half of every game it looks like we've never played football before and then the second half is usually improved. It doesn't correlate that a coaching staff is able to make mid-game adjustments, but can't prepare a team to open a game.

... but this comes down to a bullheaded commitment to offensive playcalling that is scarily reminiscent to last year, and a complete and utter lack of execution and discipline. There is no excuse for a deficit like this at the half. There isn't a single building block here; we can't even look at this from an independent perspective and say, "Hey, at least we aren't committing stupid penalties now!" because WE ARE.

I'm at a loss. I can't put my finger on any way to change this crap, from administration to coaching to players. It's all teh suck, and I can't stop watching. Being a Gopher fan should be an entry in the DSM-IV.

This.

There is no difference thus far between the Kill era and the previous regime. None. Kill is getting a pass right now because he's a likeable, modest fella. He's also getting a ton of sympathy for his health issues that is deflecting the putridness of this team right now.

There is no difference thus far between the Kill era and the previous regime. None. Kill is getting a pass right now because he's a likeable, modest fella. He's also getting a ton of sympathy for his health issues that is deflecting the putridness of this team right now.

This.

I don't find kill likable. I don't know why. For some reasons Minnesotans hate guys who say we're gonna go win and love guys who say aw shucks we suck.

We don't know at this point whether Jerry Kill will turn this program around but here's what we do know:

The gopher players are not buying what Jerry Kill is selling. If the players were truely buying in I don't think we'd see a team with six penalties on special teams and the worst tackling since Brewster's 1-11 year. If the players were truely buying in I don't think we'd see the regression we've seen so far this season.

Wil the players (this year or in the future) start to buy in? We'll see I guess.

We don't know at this point whether Jerry Kill will turn this program around but here's what we do know:

The gopher players are not buying what Jerry Kill is selling. If the players were truely buying in I don't think we'd see a team with six penalties on special teams and the worst tackling since Brewster's 1-11 year. If the players were truely buying in I don't think we'd see the regression we've seen so far this season.

Wil the players (this year or in the future) start to buy in? We'll see I guess.

+1,000

I agree somewhat, but my biggest disappointment has been the flat-out lack of discipline on offense, defense, and special teams.

What is there to buy into?

Why would these players buy into anything Jerry Kill has to say? All he has done from day #1 on the campus is say how bad these players are and how poor this team is. Its one thing to sell a load of bs like Brewster but Kill has gone the opposite direction telling everyone how terrible this roster is. Some give him props for telling people how it is but I wonder if the players have bought into exactly what Coach Jerry Kill has been saying that they are a terrible team with little chance to win.

I don't find kill likable. I don't know why. For some reasons Minnesotans hate guys who say we're gonna go win and love guys who say aw shucks we suck.

Tom Kelly managed to make it through an entire decade of awful teams with this approach. Of course having two WS rings helped.

You mean - NO LONGER buying into what Kill is selling.

Player's bought Kill's rhetoric hook, line and sinker, just like the fanbase did. But now that they can see the writing on the wall (1 win season), yeah the poop is hitting the fan and people are jumping ship or at least checking out mentally and just going through the motions.

It's odd -- or maybe it isn't -- but the exact same thing happened 2007. Fans ate everything Brewster was selling. Then they turned on him when he couldn't win.

I don't blame you, any passionate fanbase in the world would do the same thing if they had to put up with the crap Minnesota fans have had to deal with.

Why would these players buy into anything Jerry Kill has to say? All he has done from day #1 on the campus is say how bad these players are and how poor this team is. Its one thing to sell a load of bs like Brewster but Kill has gone the opposite direction telling everyone how terrible this roster is. Some give him props for telling people how it is but I wonder if the players have bought into exactly what Coach Jerry Kill has been saying that they are a terrible team with little chance to win.

Good point. If my boss told me (and the entire state on Minnesota) how bad I was it would be difficult to get motivated to work for him....

Until we get an 0-line that can block, Joe Montana wouldn't look good. On Def. I cannot figure out why they can't contain and keep things inside. Too many of our guys are catching blocks and not fighting thru. They lock up and the back runs right by them. Either the secondary is STUPID or undiciplined , there is no reason not to read the backside to see if it is a pass or run. Simple high school keys. Not staying in their lanes and staying home and absolutely no leverage or pursuit angles. Stupid penalties on special teams. This is not going to e a short term thing, Vince Lombardi couldn't do much with what they are working with here. There is someyound talent, but we are not going to win with Fr,RS Fr and Sophs. Like it or not this yr and next are not going to be pretty. If Kill is smart he will start building for 2013 and hope people understand. We should show improvement,but wins are going to be few .

I think his message has been something like: we don't have the talent alone to get us where we want to go so we're going to have to work harder and eliminate mistakes to accomplish anything. We have no margin for error so we need to strive for mental and technical perfection.

Maybe you're right. Maybe the players just feel that heck, if we don't have the talent to go to the Rose Bowl why bother with all of the extra physical and mental work?

I'm just saying Jerry Kill has preached and coached discipline and technique since he's arrived and the players have clearly not shown they are on board, so far at least.

You mean - NO LONGER buying into what Kill is selling.

Player's bought Kill's rhetoric hook, line and sinker, just like the fanbase did. But now that they can see the writing on the wall (1 win season), yeah the poop is hitting the fan and people are jumping ship or at least checking out mentally and just going through the motions.

It's odd -- or maybe it isn't -- but the exact same thing happened 2007. Fans ate everything Brewster was selling. Then they turned on him when he couldn't win.

I don't blame you, any passionate fanbase in the world would do the same thing if they had to put up with the crap Minnesota fans have had to deal with.

The diference between now and 2007 is that Brewster was somehow landing some decent recruits which kept the fanbase interested in the future. Kill's first full class is currently ranked dead last in the B10. Now, I'm not a * kinda guy when it comes to recruiting but most casual fans are and that's 95% of the fanbase.

The difference between now and 07 was that at least in 07 when we were getting our butts beaten it looked like we were attempting to give an effort. Our offensive gameplans were MUCH better in 07.

The OC is a joke. How many times can you have short yardage plays and snap it back to the shotgun where the RB needs to go 7 yards for a 1st down? That type of crap is stupid and football 101 unless you have significantly superior personnel.

Its embarrassing that the OC has had this issue multiple times now. That crap play got crushed at the goal-line in one of the earlier games and it got stuffed on 2nd and 1 in this game. Obviously it wasn't the main reason why they lost, just about 9 million other reasons, but the scheme is terrible IMO.

The difference between now and 07 was that at least in 07 when we were getting our butts beaten it looked like we were attempting to give an effort. Our offensive gameplans were MUCH better in 07.

Probably true.

The lack of depth is also pretty glaring, as it was for Brewster, Mason and Wacker. Brewster and Wacker were "dead men walking" going into their last year so their recruiting then obviously sucked. Mason, for whatever reason, didn't seem to really try to recruit his last few years.

Kill has lost Beal and Campion have never played. Stoudermire played with a fracture last week and didn't play this week. Gray is out for this game. Jones has missed time with a concussion. Now after the game Kill said that the two Tackles were either hurt and played or came out with injuries. Couldn't tell which.

Three things though.
1. Brewster, Mason and Wacker's early teams at least gave an effort during their first year.
2. They weren't blown-out until well into the year.
3. How can Kill keep talking about "discipline" when his team keep taking such needless penalties.

The diference between now and 2007 is that Brewster was somehow landing some decent recruits which kept the fanbase interested in the future. Kill's first full class is currently ranked dead last in the B10. Now, I'm not a * kinda guy when it comes to recruiting but most casual fans are and that's 95% of the fanbase.

But seems like Kill has a lot of "give him a chance" loyalists, just like Brewster did after his 2007 season.

I mean...if Kill was the first guy hired after Mason and what is happening now was actuallly back in 2007 - yeah ok I could see a lot of people saying "lets give him a chance".

But you guys should know better -- I think?! Doesn't this feel exactly like what happened with Brewster all over again, only somehow worse? Or maybe that's what you're trying to say.

I'm just saying - I don't even get why so people here are defending him after what happened with Brewster.

Brewster was given a chance (or 4) and he beat the fanbase over their heads with those chances until it mercifully ended.

My complaint is actually the opposite. When we dobbins the ball out of the spread, I hare when we get a 3rd and short and we pack it in and get stuffed.

I find the hate the spread gets hilarious. I never got the spread either till I was forced to coach in it. It works as well as any other offense. It requires execution just like any other offense.
The OC is a joke. How many times can you have short yardage plays and snap it back to the shotgun where the RB needs to go 7 yards for a 1st down? That type of crap is stupid and football 101 unless you have significantly superior personnel.

Its embarrassing that the OC has had this issue multiple times now. That crap play got crushed at the goal-line in one of the earlier games and it got stuffed on 2nd and 1 in this game. Obviously it wasn't the main reason why they lost, just about 9 million other reasons, but the scheme is terrible IMO.

Until we get an 0-line that can block, Joe Montana wouldn't look good. On Def. I cannot figure out why they can't contain and keep things inside. Too many of our guys are catching blocks and not fighting thru. They lock up and the back runs right by them. Either the secondary is STUPID or undiciplined , there is no reason not to read the backside to see if it is a pass or run. Simple high school keys. Not staying in their lanes and staying home and absolutely no leverage or pursuit angles. Stupid penalties on special teams. This is not going to e a short term thing, Vince Lombardi couldn't do much with what they are working with here. There is someyound talent, but we are not going to win with Fr,RS Fr and Sophs. Like it or not this yr and next are not going to be pretty. If Kill is smart he will start building for 2013 and hope people understand. We should show improvement,but wins are going to be few .

If coach Kill is smart, he will leave the program before the program leaves him.

Good point. If my boss told me (and the entire state on Minnesota) how bad I was it would be difficult to get motivated to work for him....

that probably why denard robinson runs away from us as well as non athletic qb's

that is probably why we literally can't get any push.....they are getting back at kill

that's probably why our non-recruited, used to play offense db's are horrible

it all goes back to what jerry said.......LMAO

My complaint is actually the opposite. When we dobbins the ball out of the spread, I hare when we get a 3rd and short and we pack it in and get stuffed.

I find the hate the spread gets hilarious. I never got the spread either till I was forced to coach in it. It works as well as any other offense. It requires execution just like any other offense.

ah, denard robinson was running the spread today

We also had much less talent in 2007.

This is the most worthless thread ever...worthless effing trolls and idiots. What shocks me is not that you know so little about sports and football in particular but that you all have found this one thread to display your idiocy so proudly.

I completely agree with this. Minnesotans love to be told they are terrible. It amazes me that so many people found Brewster disingenuous, yet find Kill "honest". It is in the best interest of Jerry Kill to say the team is terrible because it buys him time before those who believe in him start demanding wins. Unfortunately for Jerry, he's losing to teams that he does have more talent than and the team appears to be getting worse not better. I don't have an opinion on Jerry Kill's personality because I only know how he speaks in public. Just like any other coach, he has his own strategic reasons for telling the public what he tells them. Do you think Brewster would have gotten killed if he drove around campus in a golf cart drumming up support on the day before he lost to New Mexico State? It's only different because naive people perceive Kill differently and it's bizarre that they liked to be told things are terrible.

Were you at the NIU/MN last year when Coach Kills team owned the Gophers?So has Coach Kill made major changes to his system since then?

The difference in talent between Michigan and the Gophers was light years apart.

Top Bottom