Colton Iverson

Hilarious...

I heard that he refused to stop going to class, wouldn't join the laptop theft ring or the "girlfriend physical abuse club." These behaviors and the fact that his father wasn't the former college player of the year and that he WAS physical on the court, left him the odd man out. If only he would have been willing to get drunk and disorderly (occasionally) and be arrested by the Minneapolis police dept. he would still be here!

You know, you are right. Colt was a disruptive force on the team. The least Colt could have done for the team is get some good tats or steal some stuff from Target. You got to get into the flow.

However, I'd suggest that at least part of it had to do with the B10 refs. I've never seen a player singled out by the refs like Colton was this year. Never. He's a big, physical player but the refs picked on him constantly. It didn't help that Tubby didn't protect him. I never saw Tubby work the refs on his behalf. By February it had reached a level of near comic absurdity. You knew as soon as Colton got off the bench the refs were going to blow the whistle and it wasn't going to go his way. The kid couldn't play his game, he lost his confidence and a lot of it was due to blatantly unfair treatment by the refs.

Yes. It's like some NFL offensive linemen who become magnets for drawing flags for holding or false starts and get such a reputation for doing that that it can subliminally play into referees minds and bring the flags out that much quicker. I would say that Colt was definitely marked by refs in the B10, so much so that it got to be ridiculous sometimes. He received NO benefit of the doubt ever when it came to getting fouls called on him, and in fact he may have led the conference in little ticky-tack fouls called on him. Anything even remotely questionable would always seem to be called against Colton. He's a large and physical player and that's his game, and certainly he did earn his share of legitimate foul calls against himself, but a lot of his foul problems came as a result of reputation in my opinion and were not warranted.

Anyway, I don't think it's really appropriate to blame Tubby at this time for Colton's desire to leave. I'm thinking it's very likely that the guy just wanted to go somewhere where he might be able to contribute more and get more playing time, even if that requires the sacrifice of having to transfer out after his junior season. You only get to play college basketball once, so I can't blame him for wanting to make the most of that experience so far as his own personal contribution goes, nor can I blame Tubby for not being able to provide the type of minutes that Colton may have wanted. The reality is that we are a team that is heavy and talented in bigs and front court players, and Colton may have just been lost in that shuffle. If he were a PG or a wing player, then I don't think we'd be discussing this right now, because that's where this team is really lacking in guys who can play.

I'm sure that there were many factors that contributed to the decision, most of which we'll never know. Regardless of circumstances, it doesn't reflect well on Tubby. It's his program and it's his third junior loss in two years.
However, I'd suggest that at least part of it had to do with the B10 refs. I've never seen a player singled out by the refs like Colton was this year. Never. He's a big, physical player but the refs picked on him constantly. It didn't help that Tubby didn't protect him. I never saw Tubby work the refs on his behalf. By February it had reached a level of near comic absurdity. You knew as soon as Colton got off the bench the refs were going to blow the whistle and it wasn't going to go his way. The kid couldn't play his game, he lost his confidence and a lot of it was due to blatantly unfair treatment by the refs.

Word that. Tubby never worked the refs. I used to wonder why the heck he didn't pull a Bob Knight at some of the ridiculous calls going against Colt.

Watching all of these young coaches going deep in the NCAA tourney while Tubby's players leave.

Put me down in the camp that wants to see Tubby accept at least SOME of the responsibility for what's happening in this program - including the transfers, lack of player development, and way too many end-of-game and end-of-season disappearing acts.

Iverson was never going to be a superstar, but I thought he was a serviceable player who probably needed more minutes to get in the flow of the game.

Remember, we're not talking about a guy who sat on the end of the bench for 3 years. We're talking about a player who was a member of the regular playing rotation, started a number of games, and was a key contributor in several victories.

From where I sit, I see a program going backwards, and NO ONE at the U - Tubby, Maturi, Bruinicks (sp), etc - is willing to take responsibility, or even level with the fans and boosters about what's happening. Was Devoe really a selfish s-o-b, or is there another side to the story we're not being told? Likewise with Iverson. 1 or 2 players leaving may be a coincidence - but 5 is too many to be written off. God help me, but I'm starting to agree with Pat Reusse about the state of affairs in the U athletic department.

Red flag to me: Colton's dad, who seems to be old school, salt of the earth, tells him last year that he needs to finish what he started. This year, he is the one announcing that Colton received a release. Something very dysfunctional going on around the team.

Red flag to me: Colton's dad, who seems to be old school, salt of the earth, tells him last year that he needs to finish what he started. This year, he is the one announcing that Colton received a release. Something very dysfunctional going on around the team.

Either that, or Colt just wasn't getting enough playing time and he and his dad figured it wasn't going to change.

I completely agree with Jamiche's post on Iverson's foul issues. It was comical for awhile to see Colton whistled for everything, then it became infuriating when it continued. I think it traces back to the "elbow" that occurred in his sophomore season. During his junior year, especially during Big Ten play, anything that remotely resembled physical play was whistled on Colton.

Thanks and good luck Colton

It was fun seeing Colton dance as he was introduced at Tubby’s Time this year and I want to thank him for his three years as a Gopher. I don’t understand why people are so intent on wanting to blame someone for Colton’s leaving. Logically if Colton leaves and goes to a good basketball school he will sit out the 2011 season and then play in 2012. He gets one more year to develop NBA skills to go along with an NBA body. At worst he gets one more year of free college; it makes a ton of sense for Colton.
The real topic in my mind is how Tubby is going to use Colton’s scholarship. Can Brooks recover from his ACL tear, if he can will he be able to play this year or will he have to red shirt with his injury? What about McDaniel? What are other options…

It was fun seeing Colton dance as he was introduced at Tubby’s Time this year and I want to thank him for his three years as a Gopher. I don’t understand why people are so intent on wanting to blame someone for Colton’s leaving. Logically if Colton leaves and goes to a good basketball school he will sit out the 2011 season and then play in 2012. He gets one more year to develop NBA skills to go along with an NBA body. At worst he gets one more year of free college; it makes a ton of sense for Colton.
The real topic in my mind is how Tubby is going to use Colton’s scholarship. Can Brooks recover from his ACL tear, if he can will he be able to play this year or will he have to red shirt with his injury? What about McDaniel? What are other options…

Very good post. He got plenty of playing time. His head was not in the game this season. When he missed to cover Novak at the end of that game, I told myself that Colt was done. I was so mad watching OSU-UK game last night. UK has a very untalented center that Killed OSU on by himself. Why were our big guys so soft around the basket with all the talent that they had? We will see Ralph sitting on the bench a lot next season. He may start at the begining of the season but will be replaced toward the middle. You are right, Colt did the best for himself and us. I look forward to seeing Ralph play better or sit on that bench.

Go Gophers

Good luck to Colton wherever he goes, I hope that he does great wherever it is and will support him the same way I support Paul Carter.

That said, I feel like this is best for both sides.

For everyone who wants to bash Tubby, only one of these players transfered due to problems with the "system" ... (Cobbs)

remember last winter when the rumors of mass transfers from the gophers we're coming from everywhere, well, the four guys who we're seriously considering leaving last year we're Devoe, Trevor, Cobbs, and Colton.
What changed, we'll basically when Nolen went out and Devoe stepped in and the Gophers went on the big run to the tourney. That kept Devoe around for another 9 months with the expectations that he would be the starting lead guard this year, not Nolen, and when practice started and it was the same situation as the previous year, devoe's attitude was in the tank and we know how that worked out. Cobbs was mad that he didn't get an increased role when Nolen went out and was frustrated by Tubby style and homesick, Trevor obviously was a special case of not being allowed to play, and Colton was pretty similiar to Devoe in that his strong play in the last 3-4 weeks of the season and BTT helped give him confidence that he could play at this level. I have no doubt that had Colt not had that little run of strong play that he would of left after last season, same goes for Devoe.

Here is the dilemma, IMO, and why we have so many transfers due to playing time / role on the team.

Tubby has recruited a lot of 4-star guys on this team, a lot of good classes. He can only start 5 of them.

As Tubby's best floor leader and defender, you better believe Al is starting.
As Tubby's best shooter and senior, you better believe Blake is starting.

That's two spots taken, three left.

Rodney Williams is going to start. He is Tubby's Tayshaun Prince here and perfect physically for the ball line defense. He is going to start.

Trevor Mbakwe is going to start.

Ralph Sampson is the only player besides Blake who could hit a jump-shot outside of 15 consistently. He is going to start.

So that gives you,

4-Star Devoe Joseph on the bench
4-Star Colton Iverson on the bench

when Al got hurt, Colton got to start and the line up was not working. Fans on here even demanded change and Tubby granted it, causing a huge dip in PT for Colton.

Now look at next year, top 150 recruit Mo Walker, Redshirt freshman EE, Trevor back and Ralph back, and Colton still won't have a starting spot, maybe not even a 6th man spot.

Devoe next year would have Andre Hollins, Joe Coleman, and Austin Hollins and he likely won't see much of a different role either, although I would imagine he would have at least started next year.

My point being, when you recruit all 4-star guys (as many want Tubby to do and as he largely has done) they can't ALL start and play 40 minutes. Someone has to accept a lower role or be willing to work very hard to take a spot. Very few guys hyped like that in High School want that lower role.

...when Al got hurt, Colton got to start and the line up was not working. Fans on here even demanded change and Tubby granted it, causing a huge dip in PT for Colton.

Good thing Tubby was paying attention to the 'fans on here' and made the necessary adjustments:rolleyes:

Here is the dilemma, IMO, and why we have so many transfers due to playing time / role on the team.

Tubby has recruited a lot of 4-star guys on this team, a lot of good classes. He can only start 5 of them.

My point being, when you recruit all 4-star guys (as many want Tubby to do and as he largely has done) they can't ALL start and play 40 minutes. Someone has to accept a lower role or be willing to work very hard to take a spot. Very few guys hyped like that in High School want that lower role.
I think you are vastly overrating the Gophers' talent.

Consensus 4-star players under Tubby:
Sampson, Mbakwe, Williams, Joseph (gone), White (gone).....Andre Hollins might be after the final rankings are done.

Everyone else was not a consensus 4-star. Some were highly rated by one recruiting service, but ONLY one recruiting service. So possibly four 4-star players out of the current 12 scholarship players (including Mbawke as of the current moment) does not seem to be "all" and "a lot."

If 4-star players don't want to play behind other 4-star players, how do teams like Michigan State and Ohio State not lose half of their roster each year to transfers?

>>At just what point will Tubby be held accountable for all of these defections? <<

Fair question to begin asking. So what's Tubby's staff good for?

Best of luck to Colton. Not sure how this will effect the squad next year, but I am definitely nervous about it given all that's happened in 2011.

I think you are vastly overrating the Gophers' talent.

Consensus 4-star players under Tubby:
Sampson, Mbakwe, Williams, Joseph (gone), White (gone).....Andre Hollins might be after the final rankings are done.

Everyone else was not a consensus 4-star. Some were highly rated by one recruiting service, but ONLY one recruiting service. So possibly four 4-star players out of the current 12 scholarship players (including Mbawke as of the current moment) does not seem to be "all" and "a lot."

If 4-star players don't want to play behind other 4-star players, how do teams like Michigan State and Ohio State not lose half of their roster each year to transfers?

MSU lost Chris Allen and Korie Lucious due to transfer.

Tubby wasn't going to sit Nolen, a 4-year player or Blake a 4-year player, so that leaves starting jobs to Williams, Sampson, and Mbakwe ... Joseph and Colton were the odd guys out.

MSU has players who are 4-5 star freshman, do you think if they are not starting by their junior year they will be very happy?

Colton got a bad break by having Trevor come to the team. If Trevor isn't here, he starts every game this season.

Devoe wanted Al's spot, and he didn't get it, Al was a senior and wasn't going to sit. Devoe probably would have started next year, his transfer may have been a bad choice in that regard.

The correct way to recruit like this, is to replace a position when your current guy is going into his Junior year and have the new guys sit two years and then come in, unless they are that good right away to play.

Devoe came when Al and Blake were going to be sophomores and sat behind them for 3 years and was frustrated.

Colton came in at the same time as Ralph and got passed up by Trevor, who was just better and was also the same "class" as he was.

MSU's freshman will have sat one year, two max, and now be ready to start.

I am sad to see colt go as a gopher fan. But as a fan of colt, I think it could be a good move for him to go to a smaller conference he could dominate on offense and on the boards. I had stated earlier a team like Northern Iowa could get 12pts, 8 reb out of colt.

I am sad to see colt go as a gopher fan. But as a fan of colt, I think it could be a good move for him to go to a smaller conference he could dominate on offense and on the boards. I had stated earlier a team like Northern Iowa could get 12pts, 8 reb out of colt.

He could go high division 1 if he finds the right team. A team that lacks inside strength but has outside shooters would do well to grab Colton. He played out of position this year because of Mbakwe. He also doesn't work that well in a crowd. But give him some shooters and he will get some chance to be isolated as well as get some junk baskets. Look at Harrelson of Kentucky. He's a lot like Iverson. A year ago he averaged about 2 minutes a game and this year he's vital to Kentucky's success.

Agreed on Harrelson, he has a decent shot and ball handling, besides his toughness. He is a little more nimble than colt too. But definitely someone to thrive to become. Harrelson may have earned himself a nice paycheck. He looks like a good backup center in the NBA.

Iverson's future is still undecided. He sent a long e-mail to his hometown daily newspaper, the Yankton Press & Dakotan. Here's a link to the story in today's P&D: STORY LINK

“It was very tough, I have built such good relationships with the players and coaches here so it wasn’t easy when the time came to tell them,” Iverson said in his email.

:confused::confused::confused:

I am begining to think Gopherhole doesn't know everything ...

:confused::confused::confused:

I am begining to think Gopherhole doesn't know everything ...

I wouldn't look too hard into what he writes in a farewell email that he knows everyone is gonna see. And he didn't have to necessarily dislike all of his coaches, perhaps only a couple....just sayin lol.

Personally I just think the guy didn't like his fit with the program, whether justified or not, and didn't like how he was handled as far as playing time and how he was used. More power to him, hope he can find what he wants for his senior year.

I wouldn't look too hard into what he writes in a farewell email that he knows everyone is gonna see. And he didn't have to necessarily dislike all of his coaches, perhaps only a couple....just sayin lol.

Personally I just think the guy didn't like his fit with the program, whether justified or not, and didn't like how he was handled as far as playing time and how he was used. More power to him, hope he can find what he wants for his senior year.

Agreed on the second part. I believe Cobbs transfered because of Tubby (and other reasons), I don't think the others did. I think Colton left because he wanted more playing time and didn't see himself getting past Trevor, especially with his foul troubles keeping him on the bench.

As far as his e-mail, I am not in his head nor do I know the dealings of his everyday life. Therefore, the only thing we have to go off of as fact is what he says is true. If he didn't have a good relationship with coaches, then he could have just left that part out.

That's a shame. I think we need to start questioning how Tubby deals with and teaches these kids if we haven't already. Colton has a lot of skills and he never got better. Now instead of wanting to finish his senior year here, he is going to leave. That tells you how he feels about the situation. How many more guys is Tubby going to drive away before he completely loses his allure?

This is getting sad.

+1 .... Great point Dirk. Player development should be a real and concern and not be overlooked as many fans have done. How many players have improved since Tubby and his staff have been at the helm? What improvement have any Big Men and post players shown? Are there any coaches that can help develop the big players on the present staff?
Not only can't we shoot the 3 point shots but we can't defend the 3 point shots. Do we have any 3 point shooters on the squad now or any coming in next year? Correct me if I am wrong , but I don't think there are any. Hoffarber was the only one and he is gone. There is a kid from Elgin-Millville ( I think ) whose name is Olstad. I heard he is planning on attending Concordia in St. Paul. He is certainly someone who can shoot 3 pointers. The coaching staff needs to be scrutinized in their recruiting and player development once they get here in my opinion.

Top Bottom