Colton Iverson

Crap...Now who am I going to blame?

Wow. I did NOT see that coming. Seems kind of a stupid move for Colton, but I am not too pleased about these migrations time after time.

Good move for him and the team. Too many trees and he's not getting enough PT. Also, Colton is a foul machine, even when he doesn't. The refs in the B10 have him nailed. He needs to get to another league and start somewhere so he can develop properly. We got too many big guys. This will not hurt the team at all.

Henry Brooks has his open scholly now.

too bad though understandable. He has alot of potential but what a horrific year he had. At the end of his sophomore year, I thought he had a chance at the NBA. He needs a coach who will let him play even if he fouls out. I also thought the refs were brutal to him last year.

Good move for him and the team. Too many trees and he's not getting enough PT. Also, Colton is a foul machine, even when he doesn't. The refs in the B10 have him nailed. He needs to get to another league and start somewhere so he can develop properly. We got too many big guys. This will not hurt the team at all.

Henry Brooks has his open scholly now.

Sad but not surprising, I suppose. Colton had a very tough season, and by the end had really lost confidence, especially on offense. I am not as confident as you that he is easily replaceable. Seniors are seniors, and I would be surprised if Mo is ready to play right away, and I will still be surprised if we see Trevor back. Losing Colton takes away a banger, which is needed in the Big Ten. It also forces Ralph inside more, which is not his strength. The hurry it up pressing game looks much more likely now.

I prefer to see guys tough it through and grow rather than bail, but there is probably more to the story. This is not addition by subtraction. I have violated my own rule of not responding to tweets. It's Friday afternoon, I guess.

I'm sorry to see Colt leave. I feel for him and understand where he's coming from. I always thought he didn't get enough time to really get into the flow of the game and show what he's capable of. I'll always appreciate how much he helped in our run in the Big-Ten tourny last year and I wish him well. Hopefully he has a big senior season wherever he ends up. It would be interesting to see him team up with Wolters. Good luck Colt.

According to lakesbison, he might be able to make it at NDSU.

I speculated about Colton possibly leaving privately, but I am still surprised that this is happening. If the Gophers lose Mbakwe too, they will return ZERO proven toughness down low. It's a strange thing for a player to leave with just one year remaining and we've had essentially two guys decide to do just that.

I'm sorry to see Colt leave. I feel for him and understand where he's coming from. I always thought he didn't get enough time to really get into the flow of the game and show what he's capable of. I'll always appreciate how much he helped in our run in the Big-Ten tourny last year and I wish him well. Hopefully he has a big senior season wherever he ends up. It would be interesting to see him team up with Wolters. Good luck Colt.

I concur. I really wish him well and don't blame him. He needs to go somewhere we he can start and play the most he can. We just have too many bodies in the paint as is.

However, if losing Colton means we can get Henry Brooks, I think it'll be an overall plus for the team. It'll increase our athleticism quite a bit.

Sad but not surprising, I suppose. Colton had a very tough season, and by the end had really lost confidence, especially on offense. I am not as confident as you that he is easily replaceable. Seniors are seniors, and I would be surprised if Mo is ready to play right away, and I will still be surprised if we see Trevor back. Losing Colton takes away a banger, which is needed in the Big Ten. It also forces Ralph inside more, which is not his strength. The hurry it up pressing game looks much more likely now.

I prefer to see guys tough it through and grow rather than bail, but there is probably more to the story. This is not addition by subtraction. I have violated my own rule of not responding to tweets. It's Friday afternoon, I guess.

+1. Always hate to lose an experienced senior.

That's a shame. I think we need to start questioning how Tubby deals with and teaches these kids if we haven't already. Colton has a lot of skills and he never got better. Now instead of wanting to finish his senior year here, he is going to leave. That tells you how he feels about the situation. How many more guys is Tubby going to drive away before he completely loses his allure?

This is getting sad.

Colton seems like a good kid, but I think we are jumping to conclusions that Tubby failed to develop some sort of immense skill-set. Perhaps Iverson never really had the skills to be a Big Ten center? Most of his good games, if not all of them, came against undersized front lines.

Having that that redshirt year could really serve him well a la Jeff Hagen.

As to where he'll transfer, SDSU seems like the obvious fit. Hometown team, definite playing time, and a nucleus of Wolters, Jordan Dysktra, and Iverson could make for a pretty solid tournament-caliber team. If I'm a Jackrabbit ran, I'm trying not to cream in pants at this news.

this team selldom looked good without iverson being involved. Tubby has messed up big time with his silly substitution patterns and lack of patience and confidence in a guy like iverson. A potential asset has been tossed aside like an old newspaper. Color me no longer sold on tubby smith. The evolving door is more than a little disturbing.

Colton seems like a good kid, but I think we are jumping to conclusions that Tubby failed to develop some sort of immense skill-set. Perhaps Iverson never really had the skills to be a Big Ten center? Most of his good games, if not all of them, came against undersized front lines.

Then why did Tubby and his staff recruit him in the first place if he didn't have the skills to be a Big Ten center??

We've seen the flashes, the double-doubles. The skill set was there. He NEVER had any consistency or confidence. He never developed. Maybe that's on his work ethic?

To me, I'm not going to blame the teenage kid. Its on the coaching staff to get the best out of these kids and to put them in the best positions to succeed.

Tubby never did that.

Best case this is b/c of Tubby's love for Mo, and perhaps colton saw elliot developing and already taking his minutes next year...

Then why did Tubby and his staff recruit him in the first place if he didn't have the skills to be a Big Ten center??

We've seen the flashes, the double-doubles. The skill set was there. He NEVER had any consistency or confidence. He never developed. Maybe that's on his work ethic?

To me, I'm not going to blame the teenage kid. Its on the coaching staff to get the best out of these kids and to put them in the best positions to succeed.

Tubby never did that.

Because recruiting is hardly an exact science and coaches miss sometimes. If he had better skills, the consistency would be there. There isn't any blame to assign. He just wasn't that great.

Having that that redshirt year could really serve him well a la Jeff Hagen.

As to where he'll transfer, SDSU seems like the obvious fit. Hometown team, definite playing time, and a nucleus of Wolters, Jordan Dysktra, and Iverson could make for a pretty solid tournament-caliber team. If I'm a Jackrabbit ran, I'm trying not to cream in pants at this news.

Wrong, Plinnius. USD in Vermillion is only 20 miles or so from Yankton.

I agree with what has been said, the good and bad games, strange minutes and so on. It does seem that half the time this season when his minutes were down for a game, it was due to foul trouble. He could get 2 fouls quicker that any one at the start of a game.

Still a loss, does that mean that Eliason was that good in practice that he was expected to take time as a redshirt freshman?

At just what point will Tubby be held accountable for all of these defections?

Another highly recruited player who didn’t reach his potential and/or defected

I agree with the bolded - IF Trevor is not back. If Trevor comes back him and Ralph make a perfect high/low duo....but if TM is gone I would have really liked to see Colt and Ralph on the floor together quite a bit next year.

Colton's dad played at USD and Yankton is very close to Vermillion. I see that as a natural landing spot for him.

I'm hearing that Colorado State is a strong possibility along with the Dakota schools. Northern Iowa doesn't have any scholarship available, but if something changes, they could be in the mix.

Chris Monter

Because recruiting is hardly an exact science and coaches miss sometimes. If he had better skills, the consistency would be there. There isn't any blame to assign. He just wasn't that great.

Whatever little confidence he had coming in from Yankton was completely ruined by his knee-jerk minutes and stunted development.

A 6'11'' big, with a decent skill set...I'm sorry, the coaching staff HAS to get more out of him than what they got. He displayed the ability to dominate at times.

It is too bad it didn't work out, but don't try to turn him into something he never was. He has 13 double digit scoring games in his career, he scored 0 points in a game 12 times. He had 10 or more rebounds in a game 4 times, 0 rebounds 3 times.

Colton was the best Tubby could get when Tubby first got here. Not all recruits pan out and have All American careers. I wish Colton the best wherever he goes. That big guy can work anywhere he wants, if HR Departments don't disqualify him because he is too tall. (That can happen). I hate HR Departments.

Colton was a liability due to the fouls and turnovers. The refs in the B10 are killing him. He can't breathe without fouling. It's killing his game.

He had some flashes of offensive execution, but let's face it, playing time is limited in his spot. Tubby is not going to play Iverson 35 minutes a game. We have way too many other big guys that need PT too. This is good for Colt and the team.

Top Bottom