Colorado game vs Texas A&M (week before Gophers) moved to Mile High

Pretty sad move for Buffs fans. Boulder is a unique environment. Guess they are trying to make some extra money from A&M fans coming in

Will be bummed if our game gets moved to Denver.

Will be bummed if our game gets moved to Denver.
Highly unlikely that they would move two games off campus and out of the season ticket package in the same year, much less in back-to-back weeks.

Pretty ambitious schedule for a Pac12 team. One from the SEC and one from the Big10
Yeah.
So their schedule (I assume)

9 pac games
Texas A&M
Minnesota
Colorado state

would be a fun schedule. But kind of a gauntlet

Yeah.

9 pac games
Texas A&M
Minnesota
Colorado state

Northern Colorado in lieu of CSU (who they typically played in Denver in the Rocky Mountain Showdown). 26,000 more seats vs Folsom. They’ll play this game only there.

Are the Buffs expected to be good this year? Will we be able to have full attendance by the fall of 2021?!

Just wondering (if anyone knows, for some reason): what is the benefit to Colorado in doing this? Are they getting a nice payday from the Empower Field, plus perhaps a cut of overall ticket sales, to move the game there? The stadium in Boulder is pretty big, so I'm guessing it's not a thing of where they need a bunch more seating?

Just wondering (if anyone knows, for some reason): what is the benefit to Colorado in doing this? Are they getting a nice payday from the Empower Field, plus perhaps a cut of overall ticket sales, to move the game there? The stadium in Boulder is pretty big, so I'm guessing it's not a thing of where they need a bunch more seating?

I believe they feel like if A&M fans are willing to travel and buy the additional 25,000 tickets that playing the game in Denver affords, they can make some extra money. Its a pretty wack move, IMO. But college football is not big in these parts, so some interesting decisions happen. I'm sure they feel like they will get some more Denver people as well, who would not normally go up to Boulder for a game.

Imagine the uproar if the gophers played at us bank against a bigger opponent like this.

Imagine the uproar if the gophers played at us bank against a bigger opponent like this.

I would love it... assuming it would be considered a neutral site game and not taking the place of a home game. In fact, I hope the Gophers do this ASAP.

Are the Buffs expected to be good this year? Will we be able to have full attendance by the fall of 2021?!
They are a solid program. They just hired the Stanford Strength Coach (2007-19) that was part of Stanford's recent success.

" Turley previously spent more than 12 years as a head strength coach at Stanford, from 2007 to 2019. "He was part of three Pac-12 titles, five New Years Six bowls and produced 42 draft picks and nine pro bowlers while at Stanford," Thamel wrote in a tweet. "

How would it not take the place of a home game?
Right. There's no way Colorado isn't replacing a home game with this Denver game.

Obviously Colorado isn't the exact same situation as Minnesota, Washington, or Pitt. Boulder would be something like driving up to St Cloud, from Mpls. So I can see the appeal of it in that sense: 1) giving the Denver alumni a closer game, and 2) giving more people a chance to see a game that normally would not drive to Boulder for whatever reasons.

Highly unlikely that they would move two games off campus and out of the season ticket package in the same year, much less in back-to-back weeks.

Why would moving the game to Denver also mean taking it out of the season ticket package? I am sure the Texas A&M game will be part of it.

Yeah.

9 pac games
Texas A&M
Minnesota
Colorado state

Colorado is scheduled to play Northern Colorado next year, not Colorado St.

It is stupid for Colorado to do it unless their return trip to A&M is also at a neutral site

From the brief article I googled on FBS Schedules, Colorado was supposed to go to Texas A&M in 2020, but that contest at College Station was cancelled due to Covid. Moving the 2021 game to Denver is essentially a compromise.

Last edited:

From the brief article I googled on FBS Schedules, Colorado was supposed to go to Texas A&M in 2019, but that contest at College Station was cancelled due to Covid. Moving the 2020 game to Denver is essentially a compromise.

That’s makes a TON of sense

Colorado is scheduled to play Northern Colorado next year, not Colorado St.
I just assumed they played every year. Surprised they don’t.

Still an absolute gauntlet schedule but at least they get one cupcake

I just assumed they played every year. Surprised they don’t.

Still an absolute gauntlet schedule but at least they get one cupcake

They also get to play Arizona, gawd awful last year and I doubt Jedd Fisch fixes that in Year 1. On the flip side, they do play majority of the teams expected to be solid in the Pac 12. ASU, Ore, USC, UCLA, Utah & Wash are all on the slate Colorado (plus Cal & Ore St).

From the brief article I googled on FBS Schedules, Colorado was supposed to go to Texas A&M in 2019, but that contest at College Station was cancelled due to Covid. Moving the 2020 game to Denver is essentially a compromise.

Fair enough.

So they wouldn't do it normally, which makes sense.

Playing an "away" game vs Colorado St at Empower, would make sense in normal times.

Top Bottom