College Football Playoff Rankings

I hardly remember their week one matchup with PSU. The fact is that Mertz isn't very good. The Gophers offense is better.
Yep I was disagreeing PSU is better than the top 3 in the west. Id say at best they'd be tied for 3rd best in the west.

Here's who Alabama has for nonconference: New Mexico st (1-7), Southern Mississippi (1-7), Miami (4-4) and Mercer (6-2 in FBS) so explain to me why Alabama is even in the top 5 or 6 with many dogs on its schedule.
Sagarin has the following:

Ranking / Schedule Ranking:
2 Alabama. 18th 2-1 vs. top 30 teams
25 Minnesota. 57th 0-1 vs. top 30 teams
12 Wisconsin 3rd 0-3 vs. top 10, 1-3 vs. top 30
19 Iowa 8th 1-0 vs. top 10, 2-1 vs. top 30

Sagarin also has Cinci at #6 which is interesting. UTSA is #54 for inquiring minds.

Still don't understand how Alabama can be rewarded every year for playing such a weak non conference schedule.

The fallacy of rankings for a team like Cincinnati is that if I play a poorer team (say the 75th ranked team), I will just fall in the rankings even if I win. And if I play a good team (like the 25th ranked team) and win, I will move up in the rankings.

In Sagarin ratings just for example, Cincinnati would be favored by 28 vs. the 75th ranked team, and favored by 7 over the 25th ranked team.

It's better for Cincinnati's ranking if they beat the 75th ranked team by 30, than if they beat the 25th ranked team by 1. The predictor is what determines how you move up or down. It's not all about who you play and if you win, as it is about how much you win by. Did you cover the predictor.

So yes, you can be ranked high even with a poorer schedule, but you better keep winning decisively.

When I didn't see the Gophers in that first grouping.....I figured that was it. Pleasantly surprised. And while you can't cry over spilt milk.....that Bowling Green game might be what kept us out of the top 10 in these first rankings.
Right. BG really hurt us.

Top Bottom