College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

Here's the pitch: Gophers won two Big Ten games in 2022-23 and nine Big Ten games last year. That was the biggest jump in wins of any team in the conference. They were competitive in most games. They have some solid Big Ten talent returning.

That's a huge improvement and a sign the team is on the right track.
Ok a good start but I think you know you will need more than that.

Sometimes the players are interested in opportunity instead of money-only.
Yeah, some in here act like players will always go to the highest bidder. But there are other factors involved beyond just the pay for play check.

Yeah, some in here act like players will always go to the highest bidder. But there are other factors involved beyond just the pay for play check.
The players visit the campus for SOME? reason?
Money offers can be transmitted by mail, phone or text messages.

I wonder if, at some point, a number of these farm club colleges in lower leagues will get tired of seeing their best player leave every year and just begin to reduce the budget for the sport or kill it all together. On the other hand, if they are making money on it, they may well continue on.

I wonder if, at some point, a number of these farm club colleges in lower leagues will get tired of seeing their best player leave every year and just begin to reduce the budget for the sport or kill it all together. On the other hand, if they are making money on it, they may well continue on.
Interesting take. I doubt it. Basketball is basically a pretty inexpensive sport. I think Hodger said a while back that the tracks run both ways. They lose good players but they are also gaining with fringe power 5 guys dropping down. I think middling big programs might be at higher risk.

But eventually some schools will bag it all in favor of real education. Maybe a rush to D3?

Ive thought this too. Has to be frustrating to see your best guys leave every year.

They are the equivalent of a Jr College. The coaches will get paid to develop young talent and work to move up like they've always done.

The thing is that teams like Minnesota could easily fall in that category if $$$ isn't available in NIL.

We've brought in more talent than we've lost.
Yeah so far there's still hope. For us maybe keeping most of our best players.

But I don't like the thought of Ohio State, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, & Nebraska buying very good proven players every year.

Mashburn transferring to Temple is a head scratcher. The Mountain West is a better conference so I don’t know what he gains by transferring. NIL dollars at Temple?

Top Bottom