College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

The "dead period " is do dumb. You really think kids and coaches and collectives aren't talking? At this point just open it up European soccer style. Useless to have rules that no one follows
They are allowed to talk; just not any in person in a dead period.

Well...I guess the Illini have a pretty strong NIL program in place. You either get busy organizing NIL funds or you aren't going to get really good players.
$1,000,000 for AJ Storr.

But I just saw on some other threads here...guys saying that the most important thing is coaching.

This shouldn't change anyone's position on Johnson. What can he do? Work through it and find players to compete from lower levels. Not only do other similar P6 programs have the same issue, many mid major programs get constantly poached every year. And yet the ones with good coaches still put together better rosters than BJ has done here.
We have a good roster. If it stays intact.

We shouldn't obsess over Ben's first 2 years after inheriting an empty roster.

Some of you on this board are unreal. Ohh woe is us, we have nothing and poor CBJ he's just the best but he's just got no advantages let him stay. Are you that ignorant? Are we Duke KU UK etc, nope. Are we NIL giants like Texas Miami or USC nope. Are we going to consistently be a top end team like Purdue or Tennessee nope. That's fine, but some of you act like we are IUPUI or Coppin St. My God we are in the Big Ten and in a huge market. We should absolutely expect more! Does it suck when a Payne or others leave, sure, but that's life in the NIL world. I'm sure Howard wasn't enthused Hawkins left to come to a bigger school, they still figured it out and made the tournament again this year. Stop with this little engine that could thing and giving the coach excuse after excuse. He's playing the same poker game as everyone else and I bet he's got a far better hand than average. He's just getting terribly outplayed and some seem to not understand that.
Here's another one. Obsessed over Ben's first 2 years.

You're 110% correct leib0039, this falls entirely on CBJ & his coaching staff. There were far too many games this year where he was so out-coached and the product on the floor didn't adjust. There will always be programs within the conference and NCAA that will have more financial resources, but CBJ needs to adapt and have contingency plans when players hit the portal. The fact that some fans are willing to move the goal posts because CBJ's roster is a turn-over nightmare, is just plain sad and we wonder why we are the laughing stock of other fan bases. I'm not saying you need to go hire a Coach K or Jay Wright, but after 3 garbage years with CBJ the future is not going to positively change. If you want to compete, hire a coach and staff with some actual experience...
I've been trying to not make more Clem analogies...but you're forcing me to.

They always said Clem was a hard-nosed coach...slow it down, defensive minded. But lo-and-behold...all of a sudden...out of nowhere...when we finally put together a great team...we look to run and push the ball up the court as fast as possible at every opportunity.

If everyone returns and we add a good player or 2...all of a sudden Ben will be a good coach.

Have you seen the coaches of some of the most successful BB & FB programs? The big money programs.

Some of them have the personality of a doorknob.
If there is even an ounce of truth regarding your comment (there isn't, of course), the approach certainly hasn't worked out very well for Ben.

If you suffer from insomnia, throw in a CBJ interview and say hello to Dreamland.

I've been trying to not make more Clem analogies...but you're forcing me to.

They always said Clem was a hard-nosed coach...slow it down, defensive minded. But lo-and-behold...all of a sudden...out of nowhere...when we finally put together a great team...we look to run and push the ball up the court as fast as possible at every opportunity.

If everyone returns and we add a good player or 2...all of a sudden Ben will be a good coach.

Everyone already isn't returning...are you ok? Don't you remember you were telling us all how it wasn't Ben's fault players left because money is all that matters. Money we supposedly don't have according to you...which should have helped players return...even though it didn't.

Keep bringing up Clem...it makes your arguments look worse every time since now the analogy doesn't even work. 2nd round of the NIT /= Sweet 16.

At least you have your excuse for next year already teed up though.

If there is even an ounce of truth regarding your comment (there isn't, of course), the approach certainly hasn't worked out very well for Ben.

If you suffer from insomnia, throw in a CBJ interview and say hello to Dreamland.
IITC Bud Grant was a big talker also?

I thought I'd try to bring back this thread to its original purpose: highlighting portal transfers. I swear if someone posted a Mothers' Day thread here it would quickly disintegrate into another extended squabble about Ben Johnson.

This guy just entered the portal from Indiana State. He's from a suburb of Chicago and would be a one-year player. He was good against us in the NIT game.

Jayson Kent

I thought I'd try to bring back this thread to its original purpose: highlighting portal transfers. I swear if someone posted a Mothers' Day thread here it would quickly disintegrate into another extended squabble about Ben Johnson.

This guy just entered the portal from Indiana State. He's from a suburb of Chicago and would be a one-year player. He was good against us in the NIT game.

Jayson Kent
Bring him on! Quality wing type player who can shoot based on what I saw of him.

Jayson Kent
Takes very very little to get threads off track here. Any thread that gets beyond a page or two is bound to have pages worth of content with no connection at all to what the thread was supposed to be about.

Will be interesting to see how soon the UCONN and/or Purdue guys jump into the portal fray. Guessing neither school will see massive defections but in this current climate they are bound to see at least a couple.

Should've just taken the Indiana St coach! He's got a lot of quality transfers that'd be great here
Honestly that is going to become a rebuild strategy. Pick a coach from a successful mid major who can bring a bunch of players with him.

Should've just taken the Indiana St coach! He's got a lot of quality transfers that'd be great here

There are three Indiana State players that entered today: the one you mentioned, one I mentioned above, and Ryan Conwell. All of them are good players.

This guy, Anthony Dell'Orso from Campbell, entered the portal within the last 24 hours. I think he entered the portal last summer but ended up returning to Campbell. He's a sophomore SF/G.

He was Big South All Freshman, Rookie of the Year, and All Big South Tournament last season. Campbell switched to the Colonial Athletic league this season and was second team all conference there. Averaged 19.5 pts per game.

He would be hard to get because he's better known at this point than most mid-major underclassmen.

Anthony Dell'Orso

Another guy who would be perfect for us that we undoubtedly have no shot at 😔

Bud Grant would suck at college recruiting in 2024. Even if it weren't an absurd comparison it doesn't do Ben any favors.
Bud Grant would suck at college recruiting in 2024. Even if it weren't an absurd comparison it doesn't do Ben any favors.
The comparison was about the low level of discourse from BJ curing insomnia…. Bud wasn’t noted for being verbose.

This guy, Anthony Dell'Orso from Campbell, entered the portal within the last 24 hours. I think he entered the portal last summer but ended up returning to Campbell. He's a sophomore SF/G.

He was Big South All Freshman, Rookie of the Year, and All Big South Tournament last season. Campbell switched to the Colonial Athletic league this season and was second team all conference there. Averaged 19.5 pts per game.

He would be hard to get because he's better known at this point than most mid-major underclassmen.

Anthony Dell'Orso
Really interesting player. Competent shooter, good rebounder for his position, and draws fouls. Seems like the kind of player who could compete with Mitchell, and if he doesn't win the battle, spell both Mitchell and Christie. Of course, who knows what kind of role he's seeking.

Top Bottom