College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

Would love to be able to lure Yale big Danny Wolf into the portal, took an official here coming out of high school. Really like his game as a Sophomore big in the tournament.

High school kids are announcing their transfer intentions on social media now. We're doomed.

Yeah, I wouldn't bank on the 2nd time transfer thing stopping anyone as it seems like it is basically just the wild west at this point and guys can transfer as many times as they want to without having to sit out.

Yeah, I wouldn't bank on the 2nd time transfer thing stopping anyone as it seems like it is basically just the wild west at this point and guys can transfer as many times as they want to without having to sit out.
What is stopping Coyle & Johnson from bringing Timberwolves reserves (or starters) or other pros onto the Gophers?

I say have it ready to go just before the NCAA Tournament starts. Thinking ahead is how to win at anything. Get an NCAA Championship.

Sure contacting a lot of guards? What about the forwards and Centers?
I continue to be baffled by this. One would clearly think the staff at this point knows who is staying/leaving right??

Right now the only logical conclusion is that PP/DG/Fox and at least one of Betts/JOJ is staying and they are very happy with that group plus Grove. Add in most of these kids they've contacted are smaller leads one to think Christie is in and will be in that 34 min a range area. Thus leaving 1 maybe 2 spots open for a pg/sg combo guy, which again is like 90% of the people they've contacted.

Sure contacting a lot of guards? What about the forwards and Centers?
My guess in all this is we just get a really small snapshot in regards to who has been contacted and by what schools.

Also need to keep in mind that a bunch of teams are still playing so there are going to be a lot more guys that jump into the portal over the next few weeks as teams get eliminated and players make their decisions about next year.

I continue to be baffled by this. One would clearly think the staff at this point knows who is staying/leaving right??

Right now the only logical conclusion is that PP/DG/Fox and at least one of Betts/JOJ is staying and they are very happy with that group plus Grove. Add in most of these kids they've contacted are smaller leads one to think Christie is in and will be in that 34 min a range area. Thus leaving 1 maybe 2 spots open for a pg/sg combo guy, which again is like 90% of the people they've contacted.
Even if Garcia, Fox, Payne, Grove....they still need one more Center position guy. Those guys can all play the 4 sure...but not the 5. Payne is the most 5 player but clearly showed at times there were tougher matchups that it would be nice to have another built true Center.

I'm sure they have a very good idea as to who is staying and who is going but I doubt they are 100% certain on all the players. The good news is that with the season over it would seem likely that we will know very soon who is in fact staying and who is going.

The lack of news about contact to big men could certainly be an indication that most of our front court guys are coming back. But could also mean they haven't identified any good fits from the guys currently available or we just haven't heard about the contact that has happened.

Portal recruiting happens so fast I doubt we ever really hear about a good chunk of the communication that happens between teams and players. It isn't like high school recruiting which happens over the course of multiple years so you have a very good idea of who is and who isn't recruiting a particular player.

Even if Garcia, Fox, Payne, Grove....they still need one more Center position guy. Those guys can all play the 4 sure...but not the 5. Payne is the most 5 player but clearly showed at times there were tougher matchups that it would be nice to have another built true Center.
I'm not disagreeing with this at all but last year our backup C option was Wilson, so at this point I just assume if the staff knew the others were all coming beck that they were ok without a true backup C. Now I think that is foolish but again just based off of what we've seen this far its the only logical conclusion I can come to.

Iowa St. appears to have already nailed down a transfer commitment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240325_120631_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240325_120631_Messages.jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 25

Last year when Evans decommitted from Minnesota, I thought there was a link between him and one of the Louisville players (friend? AAU teammate?). Does anyone remember that? I have no idea if this is the guy or not, it's just bugging me that I can't recall.

What is stopping Coyle & Johnson from bringing Timberwolves reserves (or starters) or other pros onto the Gophers?

I say have it ready to go just before the NCAA Tournament starts. Thinking ahead is how to win at anything. Get an NCAA Championship.
I'd say give it a go. They are paid. College players are paid. Players move all the time between the big league and minor league. Let 'er rip!

Top Bottom