Coaching Carousel

I'd be interested in any of the up and coming smaller school guys, who have worked under successful college coaches. Fleck, Willie Taggart, or Jeff Brohm, but they'll have options.

You could say the same thing about Dino Babers last year and Coyle was able to lure him to Syracuse. Coyle was also interested in Fleck last year, but Fleck declined.

Word is he's already tabbed for LSU.....

I want us to hire Urban Meyer on the cheap with a low buyout just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's too bad Mike Sherels became ill, he may have been a great head coach for Minnesota. I would take a look at Bob Nielsen if I was Coyle. No matter what happens, I think Coyle will make a good hire. I just hope he gets a really solid coach who loves it in Minnesota and wants to build it and create his own legacy there. Claeys just doesn't seem to have the passion or intensity needed to rally the troops. He also does nothing to build excitement with the fan base. Lastly, he seems to get out coached.

It's too bad Mike Sherels became ill, he may have been a great head coach for Minnesota. I would take a look at Bob Nielsen if I was Coyle. No matter what happens, I think Coyle will make a good hire. I just hope he gets a really solid coach who loves it in Minnesota and wants to build it and create his own legacy there. Claeys just doesn't seem to have the passion or intensity needed to rally the troops. He also does nothing to build excitement with the fan base. Lastly, he seems to get out coached.

Kind of putting the cart before the horse aren't you. Last I recall, Minnesota has a coach in place already.

How about Jim Carter for HC?
Former player. "M" man. Passionate about Gopher Football. Not <I>too</I> afraid to be in front of the media. Easy to relate to, & rocks a scarf like none other.

Coyle played high school football with Chris Klieman, head coach at NDSU. Klieman played college ball with Jay Johnson. Mind blown.

Riddle me this.

PJ Fleck wouldn't need to change his recruiting circles at all if he came to the U. He knows we offer anyone he offers, so most of the guys he didn't get to commit came here...

Riddle me this.

PJ Fleck wouldn't need to change his recruiting circles at all if he came to the U. He knows we offer anyone he offers, so most of the guys he didn't get to commit came here...

Well done!

I'd be interested in any of the up and coming smaller school guys, who have worked under successful college coaches. Fleck, Willie Taggart, or Jeff Brohm, but they'll have options.

You could say the same thing about Dino Babers last year and Coyle was able to lure him to Syracuse. Coyle was also interested in Fleck last year, but Fleck declined.

Didn't u say he needed P5 experience a few pages ago?

Didn't u say he needed P5 experience a few pages ago?

I did, but I guess it depends on how you view the Big East before it dissolved into the current power 5. Then you could say there were 6 good conferences.

Taggart was an assistant under Harbaugh at Stanford.
Brohm was an assistant under Petrino at Louisville.
Fleck was an assistant under Schiano at Rutgers.

I keep hearing that Jimbo Fisher is not happy at Florida State, he could probably be had for the right money. Someone like Art Briles might fit at Texas or Oregon. Willie Taggert from South Florida might be a good fit at one of those schools. If I'm a midwestern school playing in a P5 conference and I was looking for a coach I'd consider Craig Bohl.

If Fisher goes anywhere it will be to LSU. He is one of the highest paid coaches in college football. No chance he would come to Minnesota.

Coyle played high school football with Chris Klieman, head coach at NDSU. Klieman played college ball with Jay Johnson. Mind blown.

Which one of them knows Kevin Bacon?

I think a (relatively) realistic home run hire could be Bob Stoops. Very similar to Tubby Smith's situation. His welcome has worn very thin at Oklahoma and this year has been another disappointment. It's been a very long time since he won that national title. He could probably get a better job than MN, but maybe he's tired of being in the frying pan.

I think a (relatively) realistic home run hire could be Bob Stoops. Very similar to Tubby Smith's situation. His welcome has worn very thin at Oklahoma and this year has been another disappointment. It's been a very long time since he won that national title. He could probably get a better job than MN, but maybe he's tired of being in the frying pan.

I know a few Iowa fans and it was always their dream for Stoops to come back and coach Iowa. Too bad they just extended Ferentz again...

Pretty sure we interviewed Stoops once, probably when we hired Mase. Or possibly when we fired Mase, and I believe Stoops was an ahole about the whole thing. Someone with a better memory than me can fill us in...

Was he the one who said he did the interview so he could take his wife to MOA?

Pretty sure we interviewed Stoops once, probably when we hired Mase. Or possibly when we fired Mase, and I believe Stoops was an ahole about the whole thing. Someone with a better memory than me can fill us in...

Was he the one who said he did the interview so he could take his wife to MOA?

Stoops was already at Oklahoma when we fired Mason.

<b>I think a (relatively) realistic home run hire could be Bob Stoops. Very similar to Tubby Smith's situation. </b>His welcome has worn very thin at Oklahoma and this year has been another disappointment. It's been a very long time since he won that national title. He could probably get a better job than MN, but maybe he's tired of being in the frying pan.

How did that work out for us?

Bob is at or near the $5 mil a year salary.... not sure he wants to come down from there and pass on his buyout to come here.

How did that work out for us?

Better than Tim Brewster. We'll never know how it might have turned out if his first big recruiting class didn't blow up. I'd certainly be willing to roll the dice on Stoops more than random MAC coach #2.

Bob is at or near the $5 mil a year salary.... not sure he wants to come down from there and pass on his buyout to come here.

These things can always be negotiated. Tubby was one year from a buyout at Kentucky too. I'm not saying Stoops would come cheap, just that he might come.

Also very similar to Tommy Tuberville's situation.

These things can always be negotiated. Tubby was one year from a buyout at Kentucky too. I'm not saying Stoops would come cheap, just that he might come.

Bob I think is contracted through 2020 with raises every year I think ... that's a lot to negotiate / buy out.... to come here.

I would go after a guy that has a winning track record and proven record of coaching up players with lesser talent to beat higher rated teams. With that said - I would go after Craig Bohl. He has cut his teeth in the FBS with Wyoming - now it is time to give him a shot at a program with actual funding and recruiting potential. The guy has been in the 'big game' before and is a proven winner.

Wyoming has sucked donkey dick for the pass two years and there 4-2 this year, I'll pass

"His record as an FBS coach is 10-20. The three years before he got there Wyoming was 17-20. I don't think he's proven anything in FBS yet."

He is year 3 of his rebuilding project at Wyoming and this year they are 4-2 with more impressive wins than Minnesota. I think he has a proven track record of coaching up talent. He is not a 'wacky' scheme guy that can win for a few years until the league catches on or someone that is going to try to win via out-recruiting other schools - neither of those strategies work long term which is why I would give him the shot. As to those that compare him to Kill - there are some similarities but I am much more impressed with Bohl's record and accomplishments. Another year getting Wyoming to a higher level and he will jump to bigger program - I just hope it is the Gophers because I think 7-8 wins is the max TC will ever deliver - even with the favorable schedule this year gifted us.

What impressive wins has he delivered at Wyoming. Don't really care for JVships at NDSU

If Fisher goes anywhere it will be to LSU. He is one of the highest paid coaches in college football. No chance he would come to Minnesota.
Who is suggesting that he would come to Minnesota?

Top Bottom