Coaching Carousel

Reaction score
At the end of this year, there could be job openings at LSU, Oregon, Notre Dame, Texas, Auburn, and USC.
Texas A&M, Tennessee, and Penn State appear safe, for now.
Are there enough quality coaches to fill these jobs? Assuming Tom Hermann and PJ Fleck get two of those jobs, who are the other candidates for these high profile jobs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Dungy

Amen. Bring in Dungy to save his alma mater.

The Dungy jokes aren't remotely funny. Once and for all, please stop.

I might just call each one of those fired coaches and look no further.

The Dungy jokes aren't remotely funny. Once and for all, please stop.

Joke? You don't want Dungy? He is a Minnesota guy. He would come here.

I'm ready to hop on the carousel at season's end.

At the end of this year, there could be job openings at LSU, Oregon, Notre Dame, Texas, Auburn, and USC.
Are there enough quality coaches to fill these jobs? Assuming Tom Hermann and PJ Fleck get two of those jobs, who are the other candidates for these high profile jobs?

Some guys who will be available with good resumes would be the guys who just got fired from those schools plus coordinators at schools not mentioned plus FCS coaches plus former head coaches and coordinators not in the game at the current moment plus NFL coordinators and position coaches.

If Gus Mahlzan gets fired I would be very interested. Was one quarter away from a national title...has struggled to replace the quarterback the last two years but is one of the more innovative offensive coaches in the game. Is a power run coach which suits itself well to Minnesota weather.

I keep hearing that Jimbo Fisher is not happy at Florida State, he could probably be had for the right money. Someone like Art Briles might fit at Texas or Oregon. Willie Taggert from South Florida might be a good fit at one of those schools. If I'm a midwestern school playing in a P5 conference and I was looking for a coach I'd consider Craig Bohl.

I keep hearing that Jimbo Fisher is not happy at Florida State, he could probably be had for the right money. Someone like Art Briles might fit at Texas or Oregon. Willie Taggert from South Florida might be a good fit at one of those schools. If I'm a midwestern school playing in a P5 conference and I was looking for a coach I'd consider Craig Bohl.

Also Bob Nielsen or N Iowa guy or NDSU guy.

What's going to keep any Gophers coach who has success in Minnesota? It would be great to find that Coach who would like to stay at Minnesota even if successful. Any coach who has success at Minnesota will have multiple offers from better football schools. Need to find someone who loves the area and the state. Otherwise we rent a Coach for 3 or 4 years.

What's going to keep any Gophers coach who has success in Minnesota? It would be great to find that Coach who would like to stay at Minnesota even if successful. Any coach who has success at Minnesota will have multiple offers from better football schools. Need to find someone who loves the area and the state. Otherwise we rent a Coach for 3 or 4 years.

Rather than trying to find a coach who will "stay" we should find a coach good enough that someone else wants to take from us and then worry about keeping them later

Rather than trying to find a coach who will "stay" we should find a coach good enough that someone else wants to take from us and then worry about keeping them later

Not sure how WI did it, did Alvarez have any connections there? But besides, it seems like they did just fine with assistants. I was hoping Chryst would have more success at Pitt and somehow not come back to WI. But if we lose a top coach, maybe keep the coordinator like WI does?

I'm chuckling to myself. This is such a defeatist, Minnesotan-esque attitude. It's the NCAA football equivalent to asking the ugly girl to the prom because we are scared the pretty girl will bail on us. Let's take our chances with the program being built up to the point where a Minnesota coach is actually a viable helmet school candidate.

Not sure how WI did it, did Alvarez have any connections there? But besides, it seems like they did just fine with assistants. I was hoping Chryst would have more success at Pitt and somehow not come back to WI. But if we lose a top coach, maybe keep the coordinator like WI does?
After you are settled in at a place you don't necessarily just want to leave unless it is perfect.

Dantonio hasn't left MSU
Tiller never left Purdue
Patterson hasn't left TCU
Took forever for Peterson to leave Boise

Joke? You don't want Dungy? He is a Minnesota guy. He would come here.

Trestman

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Trestman makes as much sense as Lovie Smith. Failed Bears bowl!

I'm surprised no one mentioned Les Miles.

I have seen concerns from Gopher fans about Mason, Brewster, Kill, Monson, Tubby, and Pitino all having so much success that they leave here for a better job. Four of them were fired for poor performance, one is closer to being fired than moving on to a better job, and one left for medical reasons. If we get to a spot where our biggest concern is that a coach of our football or basketball team has done so well that a blue blood came and hired him away, that is a problem I will gladly accept.

I have seen concerns from Gopher fans about Mason, Brewster, Kill, Monson, Tubby, and Pitino all having so much success that they leave here for a better job. Four of them were fired for poor performance, one is closer to being fired than moving on to a better job, and one left for medical reasons. If we get to a spot where our biggest concern is that a coach of our football or basketball team has done so well that a blue blood came and hired him away, that is a problem I will gladly accept.
+1,000.

That is like a few years ago when some basketball fans said they wouldn't want Tyus Jones because he was going to be a one-and-done. I would love to have one winter where we had 2-3 one-and-done players and actually compete.

I would die for us to have a coach who was so successful that Texas, Ohio State, Florida, LSU, USC, etc came and wanted our coach. The program would no doubt be in great shape and would make us appealing for the next coach.

I remember when Kill had the Gophers going folks were wondering about someone eventually stealing him.... I kept thinking that would mean Kill would continue to do better and I'd be happy to take that chance.

I would go after a guy that has a winning track record and proven record of coaching up players with lesser talent to beat higher rated teams. With that said - I would go after Craig Bohl. He has cut his teeth in the FBS with Wyoming - now it is time to give him a shot at a program with actual funding and recruiting potential. The guy has been in the 'big game' before and is a proven winner.

Rumor has it, Trestman is about to be fired by the Ravens.

I don't think we need to worry about only finding a Coach who loves the state and the area so they will stay here. They are compensated rather handsomely to pretend they do. Besides...Wasn't Lou Holtz the last Coach who left the Gophers for Greener pastures? It's not like that been a problem for us. Just win, Baby!

Top Bottom