Clark in the portal

Zack Annexstad staying put is critical. If Tanner Morgan is injured, we have a capable veteran quarterback.
The word on the street is Zack is making his announcement in the next few days.

I still think they ought give the backup QBs some meaningful snaps in a game situation. Having a backup that has some game experience is a good thing. Practice is not the same as a real game situation.
I wouldn't disagree. The point is, Fleck doesn't do it that way. His quarterback plays every game, every down unless unable to play with rare exception during the year of a couple mop up handoffs.

The concern is that either PJ has an attachment to Morgan that is clouding his vision or that he and his staff have not identified QB's very well. This was a huge problem with the last regime as guys would come in and people would get excited and they would exit the program quietly or switch positions.

We have Morgan, who is a great leader and had his moments, but has had some major problems after his high level Wr's left the program, but then the list starts to get worrisome. ZA, Viramontes, Jacob Clark, Kramer. Athan being too new say either way.

Now maybe they have found good QB's and Morgan has just been too good for anyone else to see the field, but watching him last year and this year, that rarely seems to be the case.
You may be right on all of this. I am not looking forward to another year of Morgan but I also have put a ton of time, money and energy into supporting PJ and his staff. I trust them to play the guys they believe give them the best chance to win. I told some non-Minnesota friends yesterday I was looking forward to a new, hopefully dual threat QB for next year. I really thought yesterday was Tanner’s final home start (and what a crazy win that was).

Finally—I think a different OC will be better for Tanner and we could see a closer to 2019 year from him with someone else in charge.

Zack Annexstad staying put is critical. If Tanner Morgan is injured, we have a capable veteran quarterback.
More of a luxury than being critical I think. Kramer and even Athan should be as capable of stepping in by next year.

More of a luxury than being critical I think. Kramer and even Athan should be as capable of stepping in by next year.
I feel bad for Zack if he decides to transfer. But, PJ has to look at grooming the heir-apparent to Tanner Morgan.

You may be right on all of this. I am not looking forward to another year of Morgan but I also have put a ton of time, money and energy into supporting PJ and his staff. I trust them to play the guys they believe give them the best chance to win. I told some non-Minnesota friends yesterday I was looking forward to a new, hopefully dual threat QB for next year. I really thought yesterday was Tanner’s final home start (and what a crazy win that was).

Finally—I think a different OC will be better for Tanner and we could see a closer to 2019 year from him with someone else in charge.

I agree with you. I think PJ cares more about winning than playing a guy he is loyal to. That might almost be scarier though. It would mean they haven't been able to put anyone on this roster than can throw/run better than Morgan.

But who knows maybe Athan has a great off season wins the job and becomes the guy and we have a nice insurance policy in our back pocket with Morgan.

I agree with you. I think PJ cares more about winning than playing a guy he is loyal to. That might almost be scarier though. It would mean they haven't been able to put anyone on this roster than can throw/run better than Morgan.

But who knows maybe Athan has a great off season wins the job and becomes the guy and we have a nice insurance policy in our back pocket with Morgan.
Agreed that if no one can challenge Morgan at this point they need to figure out how to get someone who can. But really they could go 8-4 or 9-3 next year and we’d be looking at the best 4 year run of gopher football in decades—and the down year was during an actual pandemic. Just wild how expectations have changed under Fleck.

I agree. Multiple years in the program, one would hope one of the other QB's on the roster are capable of playing significant minutes.

He used the same line to his team in after the Auburn game a couple of years ago.
Whatever floats their boat, I am totally OK with, not like Fleck is looking for my approval anyway.

I can promise you if Clark was as good as people pretend he might be he would play.
Yeah - no that's totally fair. I think Tanner is by far the best QB on the roster given what we've seen in the spring game and warmups. Just think it's probably not a fair assumption to say that Fleck always has the best player on the field at any given position when we know that's not necessarily true. Exhibit A was Minnesota's punt return game this year.

Yeah - no that's totally fair. I think Tanner is by far the best QB on the roster given what we've seen in the spring game and warmups. Just think it's probably not a fair assumption to say that Fleck always has the best player on the field at any given position when we know that's not necessarily true. Exhibit A was Minnesota's punt return game this year.
I think it's how you define "best".

Brock Annexstad probably didn't give us the best chance to house a PR. But maybe he had the most sure hands and was the best at judging whether or not to field the punt.

The word on the street is Zack is making his announcement in the next few days.
I thought people were saying that he already said he was coming back.

If he ever leaves, this would be the year. He will have a really good chance to start in 2023 and he is one injury away from likely playing a ton. I don't know if he is handed the keys to another P5 program right now.

I think it's how you define "best".

Brock Annexstad probably didn't give us the best chance to house a PR. But maybe he had the most sure hands and was the best at judging whether or not to field the punt.
I'm just not sure how you could have watched this season and then written that.

I'm just not sure how you could have watched this season and then written that.
I'm not saying I agreed with that they were doing, I think he was coached to not catch punts if he had to run more than X yards. I really believe it was coached.

Again, I'm not saying that I think that is smart. I am saying that I believe PJ trusted Brock to do what is coached.

I think for certain spots that is absolutely true good call. QB though not so much ;)

I mean the ultimate example is ZA. He was the original starter and got hurt...he is about as big on the culture as anyone. If PJ was who some people pretend he is Morgan would have been benched the second ZA was healthy again.

Ryan Leaf was drafted over Charles Woodson, Randy Moss, and Alan Faneca. Even over Scott Frost....the man himself! Point is that hindsight is 20/20. Clearly the year of experience and more time to assess the play was enough to convince the staff that he was better than ZA.

On a related note.....I happened to do a little research for this post.....and found out Ryan Leaf's net worth. lol.

I'm pretty sure I have Ryan Leaf beat!
Good lord, does he have his wealth tied up in van that he lives in down by the river?

Love Tanner but PJ should move him to a Grad Asst position- never gonna pay in the bigs. Tanner has hit his ceiling barring a huge OC upgrade. Everyone can get through a tough rebuild year together.

The absolute best punt returners were probably one of the RBs (I could see Irving being terrific there), receivers (CAB or Jackson?) or D backs. With all the skill player injuries this year, it was probably wise not to go that route.

The absolute best punt returners were probably one of the RBs (I could see Irving being terrific there), receivers (CAB or Jackson?) or D backs. With all the skill player injuries this year, it was probably wise not to go that route.
I wondered why they didn't use Dylan Wright back there. Or even Boyd since they essentially burned his redshirt during the first part of the season.

Top Bottom