Civility

vagopher

Reaction score
I’m an infrequent Gopherhole poster, but a long-time member. For some time, I’ve been disappointed by what I perceive as a significant decline in civility and an increase in coarseness in member posts. In a recent thread, posters broke out into off-topic
squabbles laced with profanity and name-calling. This seems to be becoming more the norm than the exception. Going forward, I would hope that we could disagree without becoming disagreeable. As we approach the New Year, perhaps we could all strive to be more civil. We are, after all, Minnesotans, and we have a reputation of being “nice”. I’d like to see us live up to that reputation.

I’m an infrequent Gopherhole poster, but a long-time member. For some time, I’ve been disappointed by what I perceive as a significant decline in civility and an increase in coarseness in member posts. In a recent thread, posters broke out into off-topic
squabbles laced with profanity and name-calling. This seems to be becoming more the norm than the exception. Going forward, I would hope that we could disagree without becoming disagreeable. As we approach the New Year, perhaps we could all strive to be more civil. We are, after all, Minnesotans, and we have a reputation of being “nice”. I’d like to see us live up to that reputation.
F*** you a******.

(sarcasm)

Actually agree with the OP and am surprised that the GopheHole Staff is delisting or at least temporarily suspending certain posters....again, all for back and forth but personal attacks, swear words, etc...not what I believe we Gopher fans should be involved in

Lol God forbid people swear....personal insults should never be tolerated yes, there's nothing wrong with swearing in general unless you are a priest or something.

I understand the point of the OP.

Personally, the thing that I most dislike about 'the Hole' is when two posters decide to hijack a thread by having one of these endless back-and-forth arguments that never settles anything. I don't know how to police that, other than asking posters to use PM's if they want to turn a thread into a grudge match.

and again, opinions may be good or bad. they are not 'right' or 'wrong.' opinions are just that - one person's point of view.

We have banned posters for this very reason - be it constant bickering, name calling, etc. We aren’t perfect but do the best we can and will always strive to get better.
I have been on this board for a long time. This type of stuff is by far worse than its ever been.

Like PJ says, you have to improve on your best. Maybe its time GH takes the step.

You can chalk most of it up to the Off-Topic Board. People learn who each other really are over there and it spills over to the normal boards.

Thanks for this post. I have not been on GH as long as many other posters but the level of negativity and rudeness has definitely gotten worse. In general, many people have forgotten or choose not to separate I don't agree with your opinion from I hate you. Civil discourse has deteriorated and my hope is we can all be honest to see where we are contributing to this problem. Go Gophers !

If I was a moderator, I would ban literally everyone and then enjoy conversing with myself in game threads.

If I was a moderator, I would ban literally everyone and then enjoy conversing with myself in game threads.
Funny. That's what I do when I'm drinking. Converse with myself except, falsely, I think other people actually care.

We have banned posters for this very reason - be it constant bickering, name calling, etc. We aren’t perfect but do the best we can and will always strive to get better.
Don't like banning in most cases. If you don't like bickering don't take the bait. Citidiot's comments were more intelligently crafted than most posted here.

Top Bottom