Chris Monter Q&A: Wally Ellenson Shines In Front Of Gopher Coaches

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Wally Ellenson, a 6-foot-5, 195-pound rising senior wing from Rice Lake (Wis.) High, is one of the top players in the Midwest in the Class of 2012. Ellenson shined this past week at the Best Buy Summer Classic as a member of Minnesota Pump N Run AAU program and Gopher coaches Saul Smith, Tubby Smith and Ron Jirsa watched him play. He scored 30 points in one game, making six 3-pointers. GopherHole.com caught with Ellenson this week to learn the latest on his recruitment.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1445

As indicated by Chris, Wally played very well this past weekend. He really stood out as compared to his pump n run teammates. He is very aggressive and his hustle is infectious. Wally has a very complete game as he can finish inside and shoot the 3. He is a very good passer, an excellent rebounder and is incredible filling the lane on a fastbreak. His dunks certainly gets the fans out of their chairs. Wally is a good on ball defender and also provides great help defense with his jumping ability. I hope the Gophers extend an offer as he would be fun to watch in maroon and gold.

According to Mark Miller Wally picked up an offer from Nebraska

From @WisBBYearbook: "Oklahoma State offered Wally Ellenson of Rice Lake."

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like Wisconsin is giving Wally another look as well. I've been a huge Ellenson fan for over a year and was really hoping the Gophers we're going to offer but have been very frustrated with the way they have gone about recruiting him. It's really hard to get a good read on exactly what MN thinks of him, I think you would get four different answers if you asked all the coaches. Much like Leuer, MN could of had him locked up months ago but now will have to fight for him if they ever do offer. Very frustrated with this staff right now.

Sounds like Wisconsin is giving Wally another look as well. I've been a huge Ellenson fan for over a year and was really hoping the Gophers we're going to offer but have been very frustrated with the way they have gone about recruiting him. It's really hard to get a good read on exactly what MN thinks of him, I think you would get four different answers if you asked all the coaches. Much like Leuer, MN could of had him locked up months ago but now will have to fight for him if they ever do offer. Very frustrated with this staff right now.

Apparently Wisconsin was looking at Henry Ellenson today and not Wally although I wouldn't be against UW going after him (as a UW fan). It does sound like a situation where if UW wanted Wally, they probably would end up getting him though.

This doesn't make me happy to read. I only got to see one of his games at the Best Buy Classic last week, and there were a number of coaches I spoke to that were watching his game to scope him out. I too liked his game a lot.

If you can't tell what MN thinks of him, I'm guessing he can't. It would be really tough for us to decide we want him, and get in at the last minute (or even after all this time) and exepct to get him.

Apparently Wisconsin was looking at Henry Ellenson today and not Wally although I wouldn't be against UW going after him (as a UW fan). It does sound like a situation where if UW wanted Wally, they probably would end up getting him though.

This staff's inability to extend offers is maddening. I can't take it anymore.

Because it appears to me the issues are related, I'll post this info in this thread. If I understand Ryan James tweets, it seems like Jodan (no R) Price has been tearing it up in St Louis. I think the staff is looking for one wing and onc center in this class and that right or wrong, they have a few wings on their board ahead of Ellenson.

Tweet from Chris Monter:

"Head coaches Tubby Smith of Minnesota and Bob Huggins from Wrst Virginia are among those watching Wally Ellenson lose a heartbreaker 45-44"

Go Gophers!!

Anytime you hear a recruit be compared to Tayshaun Prince it has to be assumed that he is on Tubby's wish list. Tayshaun Prince seems to be the poster-child of the Tubby Smith type player.

I know absolutley nothing about Ellenson, but I have to believe if a guy is remotely similar to Prince (as Price seems to be) that Tubby is going to make him his #1 choice.

Prince was fun to watch. You can ask UNC fans. They do remember him very well.

Go Gophers

Gophers lack of movement on Ellenson is another sign of a staff with limited ability to be proactive. In comparison, there is only 1 athlete on the current squad who can match Wally's athleticism and not one player on the roster who has the package of athleticism and scoring ability.

I'm sure there will be youtube video soon of a dunk Ellenson had in a game yesterday that saw him rise OVER the top of a player attempting to take a charge on the attempt. Heard it was the most impressive dunk of the summer from a guy who attends many of the top national events. I heard Taylor was in the crowd but as is the case with most of HIS recruiting efforts, he most likely had to be informed by the WV, Oklahoma, Duke, NC, Marquette etc staff who pay attention to the game. Put the cell phone down every once in awhile and pay attention.

Multiple 30 point games against top competition in the summer, top level athlete, decent defense (growth area) and nice 3 point percentage yet no offer. Makes you wonder what the staff is looking for of what Wally lacks.

I can't remember the last time I saw a white player with that type of athleticism.

It's my opinion Wally is a better athlete than Bauer but not as good of a defender. Wally high jumps nearly 7' from what I've read.

You can't offer during the tournament. That's coach K's fault here. Gonna be tough to prove this allegation.

Top Bottom