Charlotte transfer WR Elijah Spencer commits to Gophers

A 3 star recruit coming out of high school, 6' 1" sophomore Elijah Spencer was the 2021 Conference USA Freshman of the Year for Charlotte.

His high school team won four straight titles and undefeated in 50 games.

1671393933719.png

Where does this WR room rank in the Big Ten next year behind OSU?

Spencer, Crooms, Crab, Wright, Jackson, Brockington, MBS*

And that makes not even counting BSF and the other TE’s and RB’s.

Where does this WR room rank in the Big Ten next year behind OSU?

Spencer, Crooms, Crab, Wright, Jackson, Brockington, MBS*

And that makes not even counting BSF and the other TE’s and RB’s.
I'm starting to think that it was nice knowing you, DJ and Dylan.

I'm starting to think that it was nice knowing you, DJ and Dylan.
I’d like to think they’ll stay but MBS and possibly the younger guys could bolt.

And worst case scenario if either do leave, Spencer and Crooms are probably an upgrade anyways so it’d still be a net gain.

I’d like to think they’ll stay but MBS and possibly the younger guys could bolt.

And worst case scenario if either do leave, Spencer and Crooms are probably an upgrade anyways so it’d still be a net gain.
I'm not talking leaving necessarily........just getting beat out.

This is one of the bigger commits of the Fleck era and probably the biggest transfer he’s ever landed.

Just a massive commitment. Had SEC interest.
Objectively, why would a player like this pick Minnesota when we have the reputation of running the ball they way we do? Makes me wonder if the new wide receivers have been told that at least some change in offensive philosophy is imminent.

Really excited now for the bowl game to see what AK8 and KC have up their sleeves.

Objectively, why would a player like this pick Minnesota when we have the reputation of running the ball they way we do? Makes me wonder if the new wide receivers have been told that at least some change in offensive philosophy is imminent.

Really excited now for the bowl game to see what AK8 and KC have up their sleeves.
I think the coaching staff is just realistic. They don’t have Mo anymore, and even tho our young backs look promising, they’re not All Americans (at least not yet). Athan is the best offensive weapon we have, so they’ve decided to surround him with help. Next year should be a hell of a lot of fun to watch if these kids are as good as advertised.

I think the coaching staff is just realistic. They don’t have Mo anymore, and even tho our young backs look promising, they’re not All Americans (at least not yet). Athan is the best offensive weapon we have, so they’ve decided to surround him with help. Next year should be a hell of a lot of fun to watch if these kids are as good as advertised.
Good teams evolve to their strengths. Nice job bolstering the WR room by PJ and the staff.

We have a couple young RB's that could have a bright future. Now more depth on the outside.

Yes, surrounding AK with help. I know it's a receiving thread, but it sure would be nice to get a damn good transfer offensive lineman. We didn't pass block overly well last year.

A good passing game should help the running game ...

Because we have a different QB ... and no longer have an All-American RB.

Lots of depth here. Think Crab and Jackson are #1 & #2. We'll see if we can utilize Wright's downfield ability. MBS should have his snaps reduced heavily. Will be interesting to see how the 3/4 slots shake out.

Lots of depth here. Think Crab and Jackson are #1 & #2. We'll see if we can utilize Wright's downfield ability. MBS should have his snaps reduced heavily. Will be interesting to see how the 3/4 slots shake out.
Some of this makes me wonder about CRAB. He had a damn severe knee injury.

I think there is a good chance Spencer and Crooms are #1 and #2, I don’t think Jackson would be ahead of either. Crab could he #2 If he is healthy but I think Spencer is the #1, I think he’s better than anyone we have. And if Wright puts it all together, Jackson could be as low as #5. And if Jackson and Wright both have a great offseason and Crab doesn’t fully recover then Crab could find his way down the depth chart.

A lot of different possible outcome that will be sorted out.

I think there is a good chance Spencer and Crooms are #1 and #2, I don’t think Jackson would be ahead of either. Crab could he #2 If he is healthy but I think Spencer is the #1, I think he’s better than anyone we have. And if Wright puts it all together, Jackson could be as low as #5. And if Jackson and Wright both have a great offseason and Crab doesn’t fully recover then Crab could find his way down the depth chart.

A lot of different possible outcome that will be sorted out.
Our two pickups seem more capable of turning the simple play into a big play. Short of a jump ball reception here and there, we don't get much.

You may be right about 1 and 2

Top Bottom