Charlotte transfer WR Elijah Spencer commits to Gophers

Here’s to hoping I see a Jack Henderson commitment later today or tomorrow.

I think there is a good chance Spencer and Crooms are #1 and #2, I don’t think Jackson would be ahead of either. Crab could he #2 If he is healthy but I think Spencer is the #1, I think he’s better than anyone we have. And if Wright puts it all together, Jackson could be as low as #5. And if Jackson and Wright both have a great offseason and Crab doesn’t fully recover then Crab could find his way down the depth chart.

A lot of different possible outcome that will be sorted out.

Not sure I'd be so quick to anoint either as top two as transfers from WMU and Charlotte. Jackson is legit. Crab is legit if healthy. Until I see otherwise....those are 1/2 in my mind.

Last edited:

Objectively, why would a player like this pick Minnesota when we have the reputation of running the ball they way we do? Makes me wonder if the new wide receivers have been told that at least some change in offensive philosophy is imminent.

Really excited now for the bowl game to see what AK8 and KC have up their sleeves.
Because Fleck is probably the only coach that could go to this guy and tell him that he put two first round draft picks at receiver into the NFL. Not many coaches can make that claim and most of them that can didn't need this guy.

"Minnesota won't be able to recruit at WR with Fleck as coach" was an all-time awful take.

Fleck hacked his way onto an NFL roster from NIU, he will be able to recruit receivers off that experience alone for the rest of his career. Corey Davis and Rashod Bateman are just gravy.

Also, never once have I heard Fleck say anything other than he wants to run a balanced offense. That would represent no change from the party line.

Last edited:

He closed his recruitment and has retweeted Elijah Spencer's post. Wouldn't be surprised if we hear him rowing the boat by tonight

Wow, you are right.

Henderson earned 2022 Southland Conference First Team All-Conference honors. He earned 2021 Southland Conference Honorable Mention honors.

According to Bemidji Pioneer, 6' 2" 205 pound sophomore strong safety "Henderson had a team-high 90 tackles, seven for lost yards, two sacks, two interceptions and two forced fumbles."

1671404463235.png

Not sure I'd be so quick to anoint either as top two as transfers from WMU and Charlotte. Jackson is legit. Crab is legit if healthy. Until I see otherwise....those are 1/2 in my mind.
I don't think Jackson would have put up the numbers Crooms and Spencer put up if he played in the MAC or C-USA on those teams this year. On3 has Spencer as a 4 star transfer with a 90 rating and Crooms has an 89 rating, the highest a 3 star can get. If Jackson entered the portal I don't think he'd be rated that high. To me, both those guys have established themselves as better college receivers, at least so far.

IMO Wright has a better chance of being ahead of Jackson than Jackson does of being ahead of either of those guys.

I don't think Jackson would have put up the numbers Crooms and Spencer put up if he played in the MAC or C-USA on those teams this year. On3 has Spencer as a 4 star transfer with a 90 rating and Crooms has an 89 rating, the highest a 3 star can get. If Jackson entered the portal I don't think he'd be rated that high. To me, both those guys have established themselves as better college receivers, at least so far.

IMO Wright has a better chance of being ahead of Jackson than Jackson does of being ahead of either of those guys.

See....I don't understand this take. I think Jackson has proven to be a really solid receiver.

I'm starting to think that it was nice knowing you, DJ and Dylan.
I'd be surprised to see Jackson leave he's as talented as either one of the portal transfers. Dylan has huge talent he just needs to be more consistent. Adding two quality WRs to the rosters will increase the competition for sure, it's just a matter of will the Gophers throw more.

See....I don't understand this take. I think Jackson has proven to be a really solid receiver.

I don't get it either. He was our leading receiver last year and the only reason he didn't have better numbers is because we didn't throw it enough. He was good when given the opportunity.

I expected our run pass ratio could be 60-40 next year. Now I wonder if it could be 50-50. Spencer will be a starter before the the OOC games are done.

Why wouldn’t DJ be able to put up those numbers? He missed games and played on a team that rarely passed. We’ve seen him have big games against B1G teams, no reason to doubt he’d put up numbers with a larger opportunity share against worse competition.

Why wouldn’t DJ be able to put up those numbers? He missed games and played on a team that rarely passed. We’ve seen him have big games against B1G teams, no reason to doubt he’d put up numbers with a larger opportunity share against worse competition.
Eh, he could probably put up numbers close to Crooms, 700-750 yards in the MAC. Thinking he’d be able 940 yards and 9 TD’s in C-USA is overstating the difference between the P5 and G5 IMO. I don’t even think a healthy crab would put up those numbers unless it’s for a team that throws 40 times a game.

I’m shocked we were able to get to is guy to come here.
If we can get all the other to stay it’s gonna be a nice camp battle watching unfold. Jackson is legit.
Dylan if he can put it all together is probably our most gifted
I’m team Lemeke all the way.
Crab coming off injury so he is a huge unknown

But adding what we have this off season to the group is about as good of job on the recruiting trail that we could have hoped for….let’s not forget about Hayes either. He is currently our 4th best recruit in the freshman class! And McWillaims will be a name to watch for us as well

Last edited:

Eh, he could probably put up numbers close to Crooms, 700-750 yards in the MAC. Thinking he’d be able 940 yards and 9 TD’s in C-USA is overstating the difference between the P5 and G5 IMO. I don’t even think a healthy crab would put up those numbers unless it’s for a team that throws 40 times a game.
It’s just target share. Charlotte threw it 14 more times per game than we did. WMU six more times per game. I haven’t watched the Charlotte kid yet, but Crooms doesn’t jump out to me as being better than DJ at anything in particular.

I think there is a good chance Spencer and Crooms are #1 and #2, I don’t think Jackson would be ahead of either. Crab could he #2 If he is healthy but I think Spencer is the #1, I think he’s better than anyone we have. And if Wright puts it all together, Jackson could be as low as #5. And if Jackson and Wright both have a great offseason and Crab doesn’t fully recover then Crab could find his way down the depth chart.

A lot of different possible outcome that will be sorted out.
I think Jackson is better than you are giving him credit for. I think all our receivers will be better next year simply because we will present more viable targets to cover. I can see us credibly running four wides in some situations.

Last edited:

The fact that we have picked up two experienced, quality wide receivers, with DJ, DylanW and Le’Meke onboard and ready to excel, does make me think that CrAB—even if he is granted another year of eligibility—might not be ready to start the season at 100%.

Our two pickups seem more capable of turning the simple play into a big play. Short of a jump ball reception here and there, we don't get much.

You may be right about 1 and 2
I think Le’Meke can break a big play. Nice burst. And Jackson is very smooth. We’ve got options this coming year.

Like the waterboy or something?
When I say "I"M WITH TEAM _____" I'm referencing the old YA Twilight series where fans picked what boy they wished the protagonist would end up with. Kinda an indicator for me of semi irrational support for someone ;)

My fandom for Le'Meke is largely a product of one play and might not be entirely rational.... but I"m going with it.

TEAM LE'MEKE!

Top Bottom