Charles Buggs

Perhaps it is just because Tubby used a deep bench but doesn't it seem odd that we have three scholarship players (Mav, Wally, Buggs) who never/rarely see the court?

No, not many teams have more than a 9 or 10 deep rotation.

Not poking fun at you BGA, because you said it, no one is sure on Buggs, Ellenson, and prior to recently McNeil because we hadn't seen them play but a couple minutes at a click. (This is primarily my complete and utter frustration with some people posturing as to whether or not Carlos Morris is going to be a decent player based off of a couple goddamn boxscores.)

All 3 of those guys are exceptionally young and have a lot of time to develop. Ellenson very well could be our starting 3 next year.... Who the hell knows?

And projecting Buggs as a significant contributor in the future off of "a couple goddam" minutes is that different, how? I want everyone to succeed but Buggs came in Saturday and it was striking how different he looked and moved compared to those 4 OS sophomore and freshmen bigs. Skinnier for sure and just not as coordinated. A year in the weight room and working on his skills with this staff, who knows how much he'll improve? Actually, the same thing can be said about Oto, and especially Joey. They seem to be really hard workers. We're not going to see Willie Burton and Richard Coffey, but I look for improvement from both because I think this staff will get the most out of them. I hope you're right about Buggs; come to think of it, not sure why I'm being contrarian with you about him. I think waking up to another 20 below morning is beginning to take its toll.

I absolutely love how as fans we can watch these players from year to year. It's crazy, but you develop a type of bond and affection, and I root for every single one if they are giving the effort.

Speaking of ... I would love to see you right about Wally, but he really is getting to me. Before the game the Gophers gathered around whomever was holding the ball up. Wally, as usual, is last one to the group and, as usual, on the outside. Didn't even attempt to reach in. I know touching a ball before a game isn't going to determine whether you're a player or not, but it's a pattern, and the pattern indicates he's not buying in. Pitino very well could tell him, or already might have, it's either track or work on your basketball skills this spring and summer, not both. Wally's future is high jumping so it might be a convenient way to separate for everyone. The basketball scholarship isn't taken away; Wally made a choice.

Buggs has now logged 2 minutes in the last 15 games and the thread has 4 pages of posts. Pretty funny and I'm right in the mix reading every post.

Nobody knows. All I am saying is that we shouldn't give up on Buggs,

I wasn't clear with my quote, I got what you were saying and was in complete agreement. Especially the part where you put "no one knows", thus me saying I wasnt poken fun at you.... Not clear I get it.

Buggs has now logged 2 minutes in the last 15 games and the thread has 4 pages of posts. Pretty funny and I'm right in the mix reading every post.
i am too lazy to do the stats work-- does this vault him into the team lead over Wally in PPM?

posts per minute

That's because a guy who can shoot, has hops and is about 6'8" tall is intriguing on a team that has trouble putting length and athleticism on the floor. There has been threads a ton longer than this speculating on guys that will never , ever play here. That's the cool thing about a site like this. You can have speculation about the more obscure players that the general public won't discuss and whose names you won't see in the paper.

Martin is 6'10, you must not follow this board very closely.

To be fair, the quote was that he's approaching 6'10". Wouldn't that mean he's probably 6'9"? Not that it makes a big difference, I just don't recall anyone saying he's actually 6'10" right now. Hopefully he will be by the time he gets here, but I have a good feeling about him either way.

To be fair, the quote was that he's approaching 6'10". Wouldn't that mean he's probably 6'9"? Not that it makes a big difference, I just don't recall anyone saying he's actually 6'10" right now. Hopefully he will be by the time he gets here, but I have a good feeling about him either way.

My point is that he is not 6'7. 6'9, 6'9.5, 6'10, whatever he is, it is a big difference than 6'7, particularly for a PF.

Nobody knows. All I am saying is that we shouldn't give up on Buggs, and I'm guessing Pitino isn't, because he has an intriguing package of talents. He's tall, long, athletic, can run and can shoot. Currently his basketball IQ and perhaps toughness under the boards keeps him off the floor. As per my post IF HE DEVELOPS he could be a guy who gets minutes at the 3- which would give us a different look than we currnetly can offer.

As Pitino said before the season started- He watches Buggs at times in practice and says Holy Smokes this guy could play in the NBA someday and then the next minute he says- what the heck is Buggs doing out there. So is he raw? Yeah. Could he develop? Maybe.

Buggs might be a barometer for how successful Richard and staff are at developing players. And, I understand the steps others on the team have taken already this season.

Buggs has the physical attributes - can the staff mold him to be an average to good B10 player?

Time.

Buggs might be a barometer for how successful Richard and staff are at developing players. And, I understand the steps others on the team have taken already this season.

Buggs has the physical attributes - can the staff mold him to be an average to good B10 player?

Time.

Like I said, I love Buggs. He's got all the gifts, and all the talent, and he seems like a good attitude guy. Goofy, loves his teammates, is enthusiastic. I want him to be great. I've just never seen a guy look so lost on both ends of the court. He has no idea where to stand, his teammates are constantly pointing where to go for him. I just hope Pitino can simplify the offense and defense to be able to get the most of his undoubted gifts.

Like I said, I love Buggs. He's got all the gifts, and all the talent, and he seems like a good attitude guy. Goofy, loves his teammates, is enthusiastic. I want him to be great. I've just never seen a guy look so lost on both ends of the court. He has no idea where to stand, his teammates are constantly pointing where to go for him. I just hope Pitino can simplify the offense and defense to be able to get the most of his undoubted gifts.

Other than he's tall and he looks like he should be a player I haven't seen the "gifts." He made one wide open baseline jumper against FSU. That's it.

Other than he's tall and he looks like he should be a player I haven't seen the "gifts." He made one wide open baseline jumper against FSU. That's it.

Which, from the standpoint of perimeter shooting, is about the same as Oto could claim last year, and Oto has been starting games for us this year. Players can come along.

I've just never seen a guy look so lost on both ends of the court. He has no idea where to stand, his teammates are constantly pointing where to go for him. I just hope Pitino can simplify the offense and defense to be able to get the most of his undoubted gifts.

Isn't this his fourth system on four years? High school, prep year, tubby, pitino.. There might not be an excuse for being lost much of the time in what appears to be a pretty basic 2-3 zone, but I imagine spending the off season learning a new system is different than improving with the same one. What impact do you guys think that has on a young player?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And what have you SEEN to the contrary... 10 minutes of alleged confused basketball playing with a group he likely got 0 practice time with?

Well, I have seen his gifts. I've seen him in summer league, I've seen him in scrimmages, and I'm comfortable stating that he's a guy with great athleticism (quickness, leaping, straight-line speed), above-average body-control and balance, good hand-eye, and a natural shot. Unfortunately, he's been unable to bring those gifts to bear because of a lack of basketball understanding and physical strength. Will he ever get enough of the latter two to contribute? I certainly hope so, but of course, there are no certainties in basketball.

It is amusing. I simply want someone, anyone to come in, knock the other team's PF into the 1st row for once and grab a couple rebounds.

It is amusing. I simply want someone, anyone to come in, knock the other team's PF into the 1st row for once and grab a couple rebounds.

That pretty much sums it up.

Well, I have seen his gifts. I've seen him in summer league, I've seen him in scrimmages, and I'm comfortable stating that he's a guy with great athleticism (quickness, leaping, straight-line speed), above-average body-control and balance, good hand-eye, and a natural shot. Unfortunately, he's been unable to bring those gifts to bear because of a lack of basketball understanding and physical strength. Will he ever get enough of the latter two to contribute? I certainly hope so, but of course, there are no certainties in basketball.

It's possible that he might just be a late bloomer like Damien Johnson was. When he as a freshman and sophomore I thought DJ would never see the floor beyond the first couple of tune up games but he developed into a much better player by the time he was a senior. With as skinny as Buggs is it may take a while for him to get comfortable with his own body especially if he is still growing or has recently had a growth spurt.

Only because I have ESPN insider and I don't have access to other rankings. Even 3 star guys are rarely starters as freshmen on a hopeful ncaa tourney team, sure you will now name me a few that have but it's probably 10% of them.

So why do you insist on using ESPN's 2-star ranking when he is a 3-star everywhere else?

Buggs is a perfect example of how highlights don't always equate to production. Buggs has the size, the look, the athleticism and the flash to get everyone's attention. Based on his limited playing time, something isn't clicking when he hits the court. It will be interesting to see if another year in Pitino's system turns the light on.

Buggs is a perfect example of how highlights don't always equate to production. Buggs has the size, the look, the athleticism and the flash to get everyone's attention. Based on his limited playing time, something isn't clicking when he hits the court. It will be interesting to see if another year in Pitino's system turns the light on.

Don't tell Howie that.

It's a little interesting we have a thread about not writing off a RS-Fr PF who never sees the floor in which everyone is writing off a true sophomore PF who played 47 minutes in a triple OT game.

Point being, we've got some young guys at the 4. Plus Josh Martin coming in. I would not be in favor of writing anyone off. We are going to be just fine at the 4 spot as guys get older and even better.

How many of you, those who played the actual game of basketball, were written off as a Freshman by your High School coach, and actually became a real contributor by the time you were a Senior because you didn't give up?

It's called patience, Gopher Fans, it's called patience. Time will tell whether or not Buggs will contribute.

Top Bottom