CFP Rankings: OSU 1, WI 8, PSU 10, Mich 14, Iowa 16, Minnesota 18

CFP Committee: Wisconsin and Iowa have terrific wins over a great team like Minnesota, so they need to be ranked high.

Also CFP Committee: Minnesota is terrible and should be ranked behind Memphis and every other 3 loss P5 team.
I'd laugh at this if it wasn't so stupidly accurate.

So, Minnesota needs Memphis, Oregon to lose to move up 2 spots to at least get a better ranking. Not that it makes a difference in the bowl selection. What happens if Baylor loses and has the same record? Probably stays ahead of Minnesota. But then what if Boise, Cincinnati, and App State win? Do they move up?

Edit: Baylor would have 1 more win.

It would be replacing Rutgers with Michigan St. If you want to put OSU on our schedule, you remove PSU. No west team plays 2 out of the big three of OSU, PSU, and Michigan.

Wisconsin played Michigan and Ohio State this year. Iowa played Michigan and Penn State.

Oregon - loses to a 5 loss team in the middle of a tailspin = drops 8 spots.

Minnesota - loses to a 10 win now 8th ranked team = drops 10 spots.

I guess my math didn't take into account one of the teams having their AD as the committee chair.

I don't have time to check right now but may later:

As related to the CFB Playoff Era:

1.) How many teams have ever dropped 10+ spots?

2.) How many teams have even dropped close to 10 spots this late in the season (say a drop of 6+ spots after Games 10/11/12?

3.) What is the furthest drop ever for a team that loses to a team ranked in the top 10 (or a team that moved in to the top 10 that same week)?

Very curious to know and guessing Minnesota is a MAJOR outlier.

Meh. We deserve the drop. We got our asses kicked to an embarrassing degree. And unfortunately we are going to pay for it with bowl positioning probably. Hopefully it lights a fire under everyone.

What an absolute joke! Something to prove in the Bowl game!!!!!!! I sure hope we play someone ranked higher and throttle them!!! Penn St at home struggles with Rutgers. Michigan gets blasted twice!!!! By 30 plus points? And Iowa??? WTF??? 3 loss Iowa who couldn’t beat Penn St at home? Lost to Michigan. Wisconsin loses to a team outside the top 50!!!! Man I hope Fleck and these players are fired up by this.

Meh. We deserve the drop. We got our asses kicked to an embarrassing degree. And unfortunately we are going to pay for it with bowl positioning probably. Hopefully it lights a fire under everyone.

We deserve one of the largest drops all time for a loss to a Top 12 team?

Like my buddy has said his whole life, college football is the playing for fun League. A bunch of people drinking beer and eating pizza sit around and decide who the best teams are. That’s exactly what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZPI

Oregon - loses to a 5 loss team in the middle of a tailspin = drops 8 spots.

Minnesota - loses to a 10 win now 8th ranked team = drops 10 spots.

I guess my math didn't take into account one of the teams having their AD as the committee chair.

Doesn't have any impact. Suggesting otherwise means you wear a tinfoil hat. Nike money/influence also means nothing.

/s

If you make your bed you have to lie in it.
If you only play three ranked teams and lose to two of then that is what happens.
The schedule is not MN's fault. Losing to IA and WI is.
One can howl at the moon but it is not going to change anything. The outside world does not see things through Fleck's maroon glasses and even might not think Row the Boat is the best thing since sliced bread.

We deserve one of the largest drops all time for a loss to a Top 12 team?
It wasn't just a loss. It was a loss while the most amount of local and national attention has ever been on the Gophers. The magnifying glass was out. So the loss was amplified. Especially with how we lost.

If Michigan and Iowa are ahead of us (which is a joke) we're looking at what, the Pinstripe Bowl? We can't go to the Holiday Bowl most likely.

If you only play three ranked teams and lose to two of then that is what happens.
One can howl at the moon but it is not going to change anything. The outside world does not see things through Fleck's maroon glasses and even might not think Row the Boat is the best thing since sliced bread.

Obviously winning is better than losing. If the resumes around teams around us were more sound, we'd all understand the reason for the drop, but it's not like these other teams have multiple wins against top 20's.

We deserve to drop. 15 would be about right. 18 makes you wonder what the hell the CFP is up to.

Just one example in this thread of the loser mentality that’s surrounded this program. Yeah, we suck, we deserve it, yay Pinstripe Bowl. Pathetic.

Didn’t we have the biggest 1-week gain in CFP history this year? That and a 1-week 10 spot drop. Amazing.

If Michigan and Iowa are ahead of us (which is a joke) we're looking at what, the Pinstripe Bowl? We can't go to the Holiday Bowl most likely.

Basically. I hope we go for 2 every time in our bowl game.

Another loser attitude.

Just one example in this thread of the loser mentality that’s surrounded this program. Yeah, we suck, we deserve it, yay Pinstripe Bowl. Pathetic.
I'm sorry? Fleck has talked about changing the culture. So then win the big game. I'm not saying the season hasn't been a ton of fun. Everything through the PSU game was incredible. But I'm not gunna argue with this drop after we got our ass kicked.

And I also think we will pull a good bowl game. Certainly better than Pinstripe. We have a better story than most of the teams ahead of us. Even if the story didn't end well.

CFP Committee: Wisconsin and Iowa have terrific wins over a great team like Minnesota, so they need to be ranked high.

Also CFP Committee: Minnesota is terrible and should be ranked behind Memphis and every other 3 loss P5 team.

This. Absolutely fu**ing ridiculous.
I still expect them to go to the Outback Bowl or the next one down on the list (which is?). Anything less would be a travesty.

I don't get too worried about Bowl games, but I'm more concerned about the opponent. I'm expecting we'll get some ACC team at this point. The ACC team would be unranked. Probably Virginia.
That would be disappointing.

I'm sorry? Fleck has talked about changing the culture. So then win the big game. I'm not saying the season hasn't been a ton of fun. Everything through the PSU game was incredible. But I'm not gunna argue with this drop after we got our ass kicked.

And I also think we will pull a good bowl game. Certainly better than Pinstripe. We have a better story than most of the teams ahead of us. Even if the story didn't end well.
Yeah, great take. The Gophers lost one game big on the scoreboard. They vastly outgained a currently higher-ranked opponent in an away game during their other loss. They destroyed every other B1G team that was on their schedule, and lost non of their non-conference games. Sounds like they "deserve" such treatment, simply because of a f'd up system where getting absolutely destroyed by the #1 team in the nation raises your ranking while absolutely destroying the #40 team in the nation lowers your ranking. Losing to the #8 team drops you 10 spots. Beating the #18 teams raises you 6 spots. Nonsense.

If it ends up being worse than Gator, lots of folks are not going to be able to "Let It Go".

Top Bottom