CFP Rankings: OSU 1, WI 8, PSU 10, Mich 14, Iowa 16, Minnesota 18

Strength of schedule seems like pretty objective criteria, especially when combined with W-L records.
Give me how a strength of schedule rank is calculated?

What is harder a schedule with 4 top 10 teams and ten teams lower than 100?
Or a schedule with 12 games between 10-40?

what is the difference between a 12th rated SOS and a 22nd rated? Playing Indiana instead of Nebraska

The Gophers definitely punched above their weight that year. Plus, there was only three teams ahead of them in the standings in conference play. Michigan and Penn State were terrible and Iowa mediocre.

Yeah....odd year. Worth noting that we were still at only eight conference games. The East had OSU and MSU that combined for only one conference loss (MSU to OSU). Wisconsin only had one conference loss....then there were a bunch of teams in the middle. That was the year that we could have beaten Wisconsin to win the west at 6-2 (they ended up getting spanked 59-0).

What set us apart was our win over Nebraska. Tied us up at 5-3 in the conference. However, they were 9-3 and we were 8-4. We did play an excellent TCU team for one of our *good* losses. Maybe spanking Michigan helped. Maybe the head to head got us there. Possibly the Citrus Bowl was just throwing us a bone. Buffalo Wild Wings IS headquartered in MN after all.

I feel like they have about 5 or 6 different criteria and just apply it whenever it defends a ranking. See below. They can spin it anyway they want. “It was a close loss” can be changed to “bad loss” for the same game.

Yup. It’s a joke.

I hope they expand the playoff to 12 or 16 and 10 of the bids come from objective criteria like winning a conference (like every other college playoff system in every sport and level of football).
If they are all up for grabs that means 100% of bids are based off of subjective criteria. Rather than judging what happened we judge what hypothetically would happen with an FPI metric
Rather than judging what happened we speculate what would’ve happened if Memphis’ opponents records were 84-60 instead of 73-71.

you can make any statistic say anything you want it.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics

I can’t see an expanded playoff ever granting more than one auto-bid to the whole G5.

Sickening that we might end up in another toilet bowl. I thought we were New Year's Day for sure.

I agree though, had to win 1 of those 2 games against our border rivals. No excuse not to if you want to be thought of as a top 10-12 team

Sickening that we might end up in another toilet bowl. I thought we were New Year's Day for sure.

I agree though, had to win 1 of those 2 games against our border rivals. No excuse not to if you want to be thought of as a top 10-12 team

The bowls have agreements with the conference. I can't believe the conference would allow a team in a three-way tie for second place slip multiple spots below lower standing teams.

I can’t see an expanded playoff ever granting more than one auto-bid to the whole G5.
Neither can I. Which is a shame.
I think Memphis, cinci, and App State would all be the second best team in the ACC this year.
I think all 3 would have a chance to win the pac 12.

Neither can I. Which is a shame.
I think Memphis, cinci, and App State would all be the second best team in the ACC this year.
I think all 3 would have a chance to win the pac 12.
I actually think that Cinderella teams in major bowl/playoff games make for more compelling TV, but the TV execs study their viewership history/statistics intensely and the data must disagree with me on average.

I would hope the rankings help people realize that Minnesota didn't accomplish some of the subjective things many have posted that they did this year. They didn't "change the perception of Minnesota football" for example an there definitely is some "same old Gophers" still there. Everyone was justifiably ecstatic over the win against Penn State, but the quality of play from the team drastically diminished after that high point. It's clear that the committee, fair or not, views the Penn State win as a fluke and the Wisconsin performance as the "real Minnesota". If the University can finally get the message that losing to rivals is an embarrassment and everything possible needs to be done to change it, then the committee did Minnesota a favor by their ranking which really doesn't have a justification in fact/logic and only in perception. Losses have consequences and every Minnesota fan should have expected a harsh drop after losing the way the Gophers did on Saturday. Top 10 teams don't lose at home in that manner with everything on the line. There was so much on the line on Saturday, including national perception of where this program really was and it looked like a program that simply got a fluke win and played an easy schedule on Saturday. I disagree with that assessment, but I can't blame someone who doesn't watch every game from drawing that conclusion either.

Iowa has one quality win just like Minnesota, but one more loss. More importantly, Iowa could have lost to Illinois and Nebraska the past two weeks. There is no explanation for them going 3-0 in their last 3 games that doesn't include a lot of luck. The Gophers trounced both Illinois and Nebraska. In no way do I believe Minnesota deserves to be ranked above Penn State, despite the head to head win, but that same logic should apply to Iowa as well. The only reason it doesn't is because of the stigma Minnesota still has to overcome. I have no doubt Minnesota was better than Iowa and never should have lost that game. Again, it just shows how important not choking down the stretch this year was.

I'm curious as what this line is based on: "If the University can finally get the message that losing to rivals is an embarrassment and everything possible needs to be done to change it, ...." What has not been done over the past three years to change our losing to our rivals?

as far as the bowls, MN is helped by some of the restrictions on repeat appearances by the same team. So even if they get slotted a little lower, they could still wind up in the Outback because they haven't been there and other teams have been to that bowl in recent years.

From "College Football News" -
3. Outback Bowl vs. SEC
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan or Northwestern, if possible.

Literally every bowl projection I've seen has Minnesota in the Outback. The agreements pointed out by short ornery is a big reason why. You are just about guaranteed that bowl.

It is a great bowl in a great city with a relatively new NFL stadium. Have fun!

I'm sorry, but anyone who actually watched all the games, knows that Mn vs Wi, played in Miami would be WAY different than the game played last week. No bowl games are played in the snow, so that game was almost irrelevant, at least when it comes to bowl games figuring out who they want. The Minnesota crowd all showing up on game day in a blizzard basically, said a lot. My guess is bowl games will figure Minny to travel better than Iowa or Wisc or PSU THIS year. Does this mean they will get a Rose Bowl invite? Well, that would be a hard argument to make. So probably not. But I wouldn't be surprised if UMn got picked ahead of PSU and Iowa this year. Of course it wouldn't shock me if that didn't happen.

Top Bottom