CBS Bowl Projections: Gophers vs Kansas State in Texas Bowl

This season has been so much fun, but honestly this part of things irks me. The Texas Bowl isn't a bad bowl. The Gophers really weren't good enough last year to play in it, but NCAA sanctions bumped them up. Even if they end up in the BWW Bowl, I think the casual fan is going to have no idea that it's a much better bowl than it was the last three times the Gophers went there.

Wait, didn't CBS Sports have the Gophers in the Gator Bowl last week? Then the Gophers win and Michigan loses and the Gophers move down to the Texas Bowl and Michigan moves up to the Gator Bowl.

Wait, didn't CBS Sports have the Gophers in the Gator Bowl last week? Then the Gophers win and Michigan loses and the Gophers move down to the Texas Bowl and Michigan moves up to the Gator Bowl.

I live near Jacksonville, Fl and I listen to a show that discusses the Gator Bowl and team selection they never mention the Gophers. They want a team that will draw a lot of fans so Mich, MichSt, Wisconsin and Nebraska are the only teams discussed. Until the Gophers get ranked and maintain their ranking then they will get some love from bigger bowls.

I think we'll be left out of the Gator Bowl unless we win 1 of the next 2.

Northwestern does travel well at all and look where they have been to for bowl games.

We keep winning and we give them no choice where to send us.

It's all about which fan base travels better. If the Gophers are in the mix for a Jan 1 bowl game unless they have no choice more than likely they will pass over the Gophers because the other schools fans travel.

I understand that Michigan and Iowa have a shot at being picked over the Gophers, but how do we get picked for Gator Bowl and then get dropped two spots after winning and Michigan losing?

I would love the Texas Bowl and a very good chance for the ninth win.

As I've said before, it's entirely dependent upon Wisconsin making that second BCS bowl.

Last week they did. This week they don't. That's the difference. Whatever else people are saying is irrelevant to the changes since last week.

I would be fine with the Texas Bowl. I know that the Gator Bowl is more "prestigious", but the Texas Bowl actually gets MUCH better ratings because it's by itself on primetime ESPN. The Gator Bowl is on early in the morning on ESPN2 against the Capital One and Outback Bowls.

Program visibility matters more to me than some arbitrary New Years Day Bowl distinction, which hasn't actually mattered in over a decade.

Also, Kansas State would be a good matchup, as they are a very similar program under Bill Snyder.

Blitzkrieg
And that's not happening.

You're kidding. Right?

Too early to get whipped up about which bowl we'll be playing in. We won't know anything until the conference championship games are played.

Too early to get whipped up about which bowl we'll be playing in. We won't know anything until the conference championship games are played.

I don't think anyone is getting "whipped up" about potential bowl games. Each is sharing his/her thoughts and wishes in their opinions, which is kind of fun to read, what with all of the different scenarios available.

The Coaching Staff and players have the responsibility for using "one day/game at a time" attitude. Gopher fans have the responsibility of talking about various scenarios.

And it is fun.

GO GOPHERS!!!

I don't think anyone is getting "whipped up" about potential bowl games, each is sharing their thoughts and wishes in their opinions, which is kind of fun to read, what with all of the different scenarios available.

Believe me, I like thinking about the possibilities too. Perhaps the biggest factor outside of what we do in the next two games that could impact where we go is whether OSU plays for the national championship. If they do, every team moves up a bowl. I went to the TX bowl last year and the wife wants to go back because her sister lives in Austin. I'm hoping for something bigger but believe any bowl will be great. This season is a success regardless of what happens from here on out.

And that's not happening.

We should just cancel the games then.

It's not likely we win either one but it also wasn't likely that we'd win four in a row after losing to Iowa and Michigan.

ESPN Bowl Projections:

Gator Bowl vs LSU, BWW Bowl vs Oklahoma

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls/projections

This year. I would honestly almost prefer to get passed up in some of the bowl selections. Give us a matchup that we can win. Then continue to improve and get to one of those better bowls when we are more prepared to face a top 15 program.

The Big 10 needs to start winning bowl games.

This year. I would honestly almost prefer to get passed up in some of the bowl selections. Give us a matchup that we can win. Then continue to improve and get to one of those better bowls when we are more prepared to face a top 15 program.

The Big 10 needs to start winning bowl games.

I would love a Gator Bowl matchup with LSU.

ESPN's mark schlabach projects us gainst LSU in the gator bowl and brad Edwards against Oklahoma in the BWW game, I might note that mark schlabach is projecting only one big ten team in a BCS game so if he was predicting wiscy to make a BCS game like everybody else then he would be projecting the gophers to play in the outback bowl, he has Nebraska in the BWW game and Michigan in the Texas bowl

ESPN's mark schlabach projects us gainst LSU in the gator bowl and brad Edwards against Oklahoma in the BWW game, I might note that mark schlabach is projecting only one big ten team in a BCS game so if he was predicting wiscy to make a BCS game like everybody else then he would be projecting the gophers to play in the outback bowl, he has Nebraska in the BWW game and Michigan in the Texas bowl

So he must be subtly predicting that we beat Wisky!

I think we will travel well with this team. We will not just be a team that barely makes bowl eligible (sp?) but a team on the rise with a 9 and 3 record. (Wisc. will be a w)

ESPN Big Ten Blog projections:

The latest projections:

Rose Bowl Presented by VIZIO, Jan. 1: Ohio State
Capital One Bowl, Jan. 1: Wisconsin
Outback Bowl, Jan. 1: Michigan State
Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, Dec. 28: Nebraska
TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl, Jan. 1: Michigan
Texas Bowl, Dec. 27: Minnesota
Heart of Dallas Bowl, Jan. 1: Iowa
Little Caesars Pizza Bowl, Dec. 26: Not filled

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/88847/big-ten-bowl-projections-week-11-4

Go Gophers!!

I want to slug Rittenberg and Bennett for putting Michigan ahead of us in the pecking order, but I also realize that they are absolutely right about how bowls are very capitalistic, and are only fair when the rules say they have to be.

Plus if anyone questions the Gator Bowl's decision, they have an ace up their sleeve: "It was a close call but Michigan has the Jug, so that sealed it for us."

We must beat either wisc or MSU if we really want to get to a better bowl than Mich or Neb.

Top Bottom