CBS Bowl Projections: Gophers vs Kansas State in Texas Bowl

I took a peek at airfares for these places on/around the dates of the bowls and all are in the $500 ballpark. Wish it was a little cheaper! Although Dallas is "only" a 14 hour drive.

I know we supposedly don't travel well. How many opportunities have we had a chance to go to a good bowl game and be on the uptick. Does anyone know how we traveled in 1999 to the Sun Bowl or first trips to the Music City or Insight Bowls?? I have a feeling if we got the Gator or BWW Bowls, we'd travel well.

I took a peek at airfares for these places on/around the dates of the bowls and all are in the $500 ballpark. Wish it was a little cheaper! Although Dallas is "only" a 14 hour drive.

We did a road trip to South Padre Island a few years back....24+ hours, so 14 to Dallas is cake lol

I spent the day buying ALL the kool-aid in town..

Okay, what if we beat Wisconsin? It's home. We have two weeks to heal and scheme.
We get some help...Nebraska loses...Michigan State loses one to somebody. And after beating Wisconsin,
we do the before unthinkable and beat Michigan State too. We win the head to head tie breakers.
We play Ohio State and they laugh at their good fortune and we live the dream and beat Ohio State.
We go to the Rose Bowl and win!

Have you even considered the possibility?

I think you probably have to be delusional to consider it or write it but it is possible. (And we don't play for two weeks, ha)
And it is pretty fun to think about if even for just a second. Then for 5 seconds...then for...

I know we supposedly don't travel well. How many opportunities have we had a chance to go to a good bowl game and be on the uptick. Does anyone know how we traveled in 1999 to the Sun Bowl or first trips to the Music City or Insight Bowls?? I have a feeling if we got the Gator or BWW Bowls, we'd travel well.

The team was 7-2, best team in 10 years and we still couldn't sell out the stadium, or at least a lot of people that had tickets didn't go, and this is not a 100, 000 seat stadium, it is not even an 80, 000 or 70, 000 seat stadium, it is a 50, 000 seat stadium we we still couldn't manage do do it, now the weather would be a lot better in Florida but still

How about the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl in Detroit - it just a 90 minute flight?

I think this could only happen if Northwestern gets bowl eligible (which is still possible, they're favored against Michigan this week and still have Illinois on the schedule, who hasn't won a Big Ten game since 2011 or something), and then the better bowls choose Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, and Northwestern teams, which could all have equal or worse records than we do, over us. I know the whole "Minnesota doesn't travel well" meme has been going around the board lately, but I really doubt that we're so bad that a bowl would take a 6-6 Northwestern team over an 8-4 Minnesota.

As a student who did not plan on doing any traveling this year or in the future, I must say that I plan on traveling to this bowl game as long as it is the Gator Bowl or above. Many friends and fellow students have stated the same. This is just a fun team to watch and if we are in a well renowned bowl game we will see more students than ever travelling. Could we get blown out by a top tier SEC or Big 12 team at the game? Sure we could but it seems that this team can compete and stick with 98% of FBS teams on any given day. Give us a decent bowl and the fans will come.

One of my good friends has a parent that lives down in florida. I am going to try and set up a visit.

Weren't there fifteen thousand Gopher Fans in Vegas last year for the UNLV game?
It was an impressive turnout.

Weren't there fifteen thousand Gopher Fans in Vegas last year for the UNLV game?
It was an impressive turnout.

Well, that was more an excuse to party in Vegas. Even the "allegedly" teetotaling BYU fans have been notorious for letting loose and more or less ignoring their Mormon ideals when the Cougars played at UNLV.

I'd love to see the Gophers play in the Gator or Capitol One Bowl.

I think this could only happen if Northwestern gets bowl eligible (which is still possible, they're favored against Michigan this week and still have Illinois on the schedule, who hasn't won a Big Ten game since 2011 or something), and then the better bowls choose Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, and Northwestern teams, which could all have equal or worse records than we do, over us. I know the whole "Minnesota doesn't travel well" meme has been going around the board lately, but I really doubt that we're so bad that a bowl would take a 6-6 Northwestern team over an 8-4 Minnesota.

jNW travels worse than anyone. They have worse home attendance than anyone as well. Not enough alumni.

Not sure where to put this, but I was curious what people think about the MSU-NU game next weekend. If we want to have a shot at the division, both teams have to lose once (MSU has to lose once before we play them, i mean) , and obviously we have to win out. Do we want MSU to lose? I would argue that NW is a tougher game for them than either of NU's other games. On the other hand, from a strictly numbers standpoint, MSU would only have one other chance to lose, whereas NW has two.

Not sure where to put this, but I was curious what people think about the MSU-NU game next weekend. If we want to have a shot at the division, both teams have to lose once (MSU has to lose once before we play them, i mean) , and obviously we have to win out. Do we want MSU to lose? I would argue that NW is a tougher game for them than either of NU's other games. On the other hand, from a strictly numbers standpoint, MSU would only have one other chance to lose, whereas NW has two.

Absolutely believe you have to root for MSU to lose to Nebraska this weekend.

Nebraska still has to travel to Happy Valley (where PSU is much more difficult than at home) and hosts Iowa. Northwestern is 0-5 in league play for a reason - they're just not that good.

ithink we cheer for nebraska but there is no way they are going to win. Im predicting a shut out. That MSU defense is damn good.

ithink we cheer for nebraska but there is no way they are going to win. Im predicting a shut out. That MSU defense is damn good.

MSU's defense is lights out, but in retrospect, they have played basically no one.

Their FBS competition, by record:

7-3 Notre Dame
6-3 Michigan
6-4 Iowa
4-5 Indiana
3-6 Illinois
2-6 South Florida
1-8 Purdue
1-9 Western Michigan

Granted, they could actually beat Iowa and Michigan (something we couldn't do) so that's a feather in their cap. But regardless, Nebraska is shaping up to be their toughest test of the year, and it's on the road to boot. Would not be surprised if this ends up "closer than the experts think."

Well, that was more an excuse to party in Vegas. Even the "allegedly" teetotaling BYU fans have been notorious for letting loose and more or less ignoring their Mormon ideals when the Cougars played at UNLV.

I'd love to see the Gophers play in the Gator or Capitol One Bowl.

Years ago there was a joke about BYU fans and the Las Vegas Bowl. It went "What's the do the Ten Commandments and a $100 bill have in common? During Las Vegas Bowl week, BYU fans don't break them."

As for the Gophers being in a bowl, I'm thankful we're even having the discussion. Not too long ago, it felt like we'd be home for the holidays this year. Given that we went to the BW3 Bowl (in a previous sponsorship guise) in 2006, 2008, and 2009 when it was squarely a middle to low end Big Ten bowl game, going again in 2013 wouldn't feel special and up to the standards of the season, even if the game is now technically #4 in the pecking order. The BW3 Bowl is played at 9:15 Central, admittedly on a Saturday night, after three lesser bowl games that day. There are also full NHL, NBA, and men's college hoops slates that day with the Timberwolves and Gophers playing, not to mention hype for the last day of the NFL regular season the next day with the Vikings playing the last ever game at the Metrodome.

With Capital One unlikely, I'd like to see us in the Outback or Gator Bowls on New Year's Day. A New Year's Day game with everyone focused on football would feel like more of a reward. The Texas Bowl would feel like a major disappointment. All this progress to return to the same low end bowl as last season.

I've been to the Gator Bowl before with some buddies from college who had a rooting interest, I was more just along for the ride and because I'd never gone to a bowl game before. Jacksonville isn't the most amazing city in the world, but it was a fun trip. We did Jacksonville Beach for New Year's Eve and enjoyed ourselves quite a bit. The game was also pretty fun, but the stadium is pretty lacking. I'd certainly take going to the Gator Bowl, it's worth the journey even if Jacksonville isn't an overwhelmingly sexy destination.

Hey Hey...that's my home you are speaking of and yes, it is a dump, but I'm still hoping the Gophers come here for the Gator Bowl

I recently spent 4 days in Jax Beach and downtown Jacksonville for work. Not the worst place I've been to in Florida by a long shot.

That MSU defense is damn good.

Seriously?

I mean last week, they gave up 391 yards rushing.

What's that?

Pardon me, I was just handed a note.

Oh, I see...My apologies. MSU has given up 391 yards rushing this year. I think that works out to about 43 yards a game.

Oh...they are also #4 in passing yards allowed @1,501 over 9 games, 167/game.

Projected to play either LSU or Oklahoma? Can't complain about that. Would be nice to see us play in a new years day bowl.....but I see why the Texas bowl would be better. The Gator bowl won't get as much attention. I'm still hoping for the new years day bowl however.

I would say it's hard for Gopher fans to travel well when we have too many fans refusing to attend home
games because we wear an american flag pattern on our helmet logo for veterans day.

When we get rid of that dooshbag mentality (or just get rid of those dooshbags),
then and only then will we be worthy...

I would say it's hard for Gopher fans to travel well when we have too many fans refusing to attend home
games because we wear an american flag pattern on our helmet logo for veterans day.

When we get rid of that dooshbag mentality (or just get rid of those dooshbags),
then and only then will we be worthy...

You're really obsessed about this, aren't you? There was one person who said he might not attend. Everyone else just thought that such events were getting to be in bad taste, getting away from a day of somber commemoration that Armistice Day/Veterans' Day used to be.

I'm partial to the Kansas State matchup. My wife was a cheerleader there and I think that game would be my only hope to ever travel to a bowl game!

Top Bottom