Cashius McNeilly & Emanuel Miller (Texas A&M) both in the portal

You're right, we dont know and that's also part of the larger mystery...potential pain point.

We're not really sure what system Ben is going to use and for all we know, it's ones where the skill of the players he has committed so far make his system work.

One thing that kind of bugs me a bit is that some have mentioned we dont want athletes, we want shooters/players with high bbal IQ. I have no research to back this up, but it sounds like Northwestern
Obviously you have not listened to the Thorson interview. Or the Johnson interviews...

Nobody said we do not want athletes. They said we do not want recruits that are only athletes and that have no basketball skills. That is a major difference.

What's interesting about this tweet (to me) is that in the follow up doogie writes:
Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP

17h
I don't have full details. Passed along what two people so far have told me.

The initial tweet he mentions Sean02MTM, so I don't know if that's one of the two people who have "told him".

However, if you search the history of Sean02MTM, the only recent mention of Jamie McN is the below tweet from 4/7:

In a different tweet that same day he answers a question about the hire:

His reply to that tweet was:
Sean Paul
@Sean02MTM

·
Apr 7

Replying to
@Milkmytits1
Wouldn’t have reported it if I didn’t feel confident

No mention of coach McN, that I see since 4/7.

So...who really knows.
Thanks for the sleuthing. As a new poster who has watched this board for years, I have two observations: one, no one here (for years!) seems to think Doogie is a reliable source and no one--as far as I have seen--has indicated that they even know who Sean Paul is, let alone how credible he is.

And yet, for weeks it seemed to be assumed that McNeilly and the two transfers coming here was a done deal. I thought there had to have been some other source and/or actual proof for everyone to believe the story.

What I (and y'all) have seen from a genuine journalistic source is that the 'Eagle' from near A&M reports that McNeill is gone from A&M and that the Star & Trib is reporting that he is headed here.

Am I correct that only Doogie is reporting that McNeill is NOT coming? If so, why are we to believe that any more than his usual reporting? And, was there actually additional support for the original story, or was this all just a Doogie rumor (supported by 'some guy', Sean Paul) to begin with?!?

Guys, like I said before:

It took Buzz 4 MONTHS to move his VT staff to A&M. That staff included McNeilly.

If it took Buzz 4 Months to get the move done, then it seem reasonable that it may take awhile for the U to get McNeilly on board.

Just because it is taking some time does not mean it is not going to happen. But, of course that will not stop the same Anti-Ben group to again criticize the direction we are going....

No need to compare BJ to Buzz as far as assistant situation. If you're going to compare, you need to look at the overall average of time it takes for new coaches to fill their staff, because it's easier to find an outlier.

Either way, I think by end of May we'll have a complete staff and team maybe mid June

Thanks for the sleuthing. As a new poster who has watched this board for years, I have two observations: one, no one here (for years!) seems to think Doogie is a reliable source and no one--as far as I have seen--has indicated that they even know who Sean Paul is, let alone how credible he is.

And yet, for weeks it seemed to be assumed that McNeilly and the two transfers coming here was a done deal. I thought there had to have been some other source and/or actual proof for everyone to believe the story.

What I (and y'all) have seen from a genuine journalistic source is that the 'Eagle' from near A&M reports that McNeill is gone from A&M and that the Star & Trib is reporting that he is headed here.

Am I correct that only Doogie is reporting that McNeill is NOT coming? If so, why are we to believe that any more than his usual reporting? And, was there actually additional support for the original story, or was this all just a Doogie rumor (supported by 'some guy', Sean Paul) to begin with?!?
Well said. Doogie saying it is not going to happen is disappointing but certainly doesn't make it a done deal because he has been wrong many times before. He is very plugged in but I highly doubt his sources are high enough up to be 100% certain.

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Until there is a concrete destination for McNeilly and the players in question there is always a chance they still end up here.

It was long speculated that BJ was Doogie's Gopher Basketball source while he was an assistant. So the logic is Doogie's info on Gopher stuff now is coming directly from the head coach.

Obviously you have not listened to the Thorson interview. Or the Johnson interviews...

Nobody said we do not want athletes. They said we do not want recruits that are only athletes and that have no basketball skills. That is a major difference.
So what is the system then? What kind of offense will they be running? I have not yet seen anyone definitively state what that will be yet. Is the plan to assemble the roster and then figure it out? What did their interviews tell you? Seems like they completely laid it out from they way you put it above.

Guys, like I said before:

It took Buzz 4 MONTHS to move his VT staff to A&M. That staff included McNeilly.

If it took Buzz 4 Months to get the move done, then it seem reasonable that it may take awhile for the U to get McNeilly on board.

Just because it is taking some time does not mean it is not going to happen. But, of course that will not stop the same Anti-Ben group to again criticize the direction we are going....
1) Did McNeilly personally cause the 4 month delay? If so, then really good info. If not, completely irrelevant to point out other than to let us know how long it took BUZZ to do that.

2) If you come into a thread about players that we didn't sign after the news breaks about not signing them, it's probably not likely to be super positive. Just sayin...

So what is the system then? What kind of offense will they be running? I have not yet seen anyone definitively state what that will be yet. Is the plan to assemble the roster and then figure it out? What did their interviews tell you? Seems like they completely laid it out from they way you put it above.
It'll be a kick-@ss offense....

What kind of system did Pitino run? Do you expect them to get out a white Board and start drawing up plays? Such a strange critique of a generic answer at a press conference.

What kind of system did Pitino run? Do you expect them to get out a white Board and start drawing up plays? Such a strange critique of a generic answer at a press conference.
What was the critique, I was simply asking questions. Multiple interviews were mentioned or did you not read what I was replying to? We are well beyond the opening press conference at this point. Pitino ran a lot of high ball screens and allowed a lot of iso play. He emphasized 3 point shooting and discouraged it at the same time lol and at least claimed getting to the foul line was a big part of their strategy. See that wasn't very hard and I know next to nothing about basketball compared to Johnson. Since you have predicted the highest amount of wins next year from this team in that other thread, seems like you may know something johnboy?

What was the critique, I was simply asking questions. Multiple interviews were mentioned or did you not read what I was replying to? We are well beyond the opening press conference at this point. Pitino ran a lot of high ball screens and allowed a lot of iso play. He emphasized 3 point shooting and discouraged it at the same time lol and at least claimed getting to the foul line was a big part of their strategy. See that wasn't very hard and I know next to nothing about basketball compared to Johnson. Since you have predicted the highest amount of wins next year from this team in that other thread, seems like you may know something johnboy?
How many of these things did Pitino mention during his first month on the job? Or did he mention a generic "we're going to push the pace" and press like every other coach in the country?

The offense will be gritty and the defense will also be gritty; what else does one need to know?

How many of these things did Pitino mention during his first month on the job? Or did he mention a generic "we're going to push the pace" and press like every other coach in the country?
So did you listen to those interviews? Seems like you would rather simp for the new coach than actually provide any insight on why you have projected them to win more games than anyone on this board. Please quiet all the doubters, I would love for you to share something that might actually do that. Johnson could literally say anything at this point to satisfy. He did say he wants shooters, so I guess that is something?

So did you listen to those interviews? Seems like you would rather simp for the new coach than actually provide any insight on why you have projected them to win more games than anyone on this board. Please quiet all the doubters, I would love for you to share something that might actually do that. Johnson could literally say anything at this point to satisfy. He did say he wants shooters, so I guess that is something?
What are you asking me? I predicted they win more games than last year and I stand by that. I don't think I need to know what type of offensive system they are going to run because that's not really a big thing in basketball. You adopt to your players like every coach will say in America. I asked you a simple question about what coaches say during introductory periods about offense and defense and you didn't answer. For example Porter Moser said he's going to create offense through defense as his offensive philosophy. Is that a better answer?

What are you asking me? I predicted they win more games than last year and I stand by that. I don't think I need to know what type of offensive system they are going to run because that's not really a big thing in basketball. You adopt to your players like every coach will say in America. I asked you a simple question about what coaches say during introductory periods about offense and defense and you didn't answer. For example Porter Moser said he's going to create offense through defense as his offensive philosophy. Is that a better answer?
"So did you listen to those interviews?" Exactly what I asked as that is what I was addressing when you replied to me initially. The interviews with Johnson/Thorson that have followed the intro press conference which I was asking alchemy2u about. I was asking because he said "Obviously you have not listened to the Thorson interview. Or the Johnson interviews..." as he was replying to this statement,"We're not really sure what system Ben is going to use and for all we know, it's ones where the skill of the players he has committed so far make his system work." He made it sound as if they went further in depth on what is going to be run. Do you follow now? And yeah, creating offense through defense would be something. At least you can get an idea that the coach is looking for high level defenders that can score in transition.

according to sources. source: doogie and his "anonymous sources"

Notice it's sources, as in plural. The Star Tribune sports editor will require Marcus Fuller to have more than one source when he reports something. It doesn't make it correct, but he has two sources telling him the same thing. FWIW, this shouldn't be confused with most of the internet Twitter garbage people love to believe.

The intense interest in assist coaches is fascinating.

Per one of BJs interviews: "were going to play a winning style of basketball"

so maybe super kick @ss offense?
That should give us a leg up on the schools that don't play a winning style.

Gritty-@ss offense?

I’ll be happy if BJ is willing to go zone a half dozen possessions a game. If nothing else to confuse the opponent’s O for 5-10 seconds. Pitino’s unwillingness to do this drove me nuts. 2nd only to our PG leading the country in dribbles every year.

Top Bottom