Carey Woods - Bemidji

Why not just change the name to "University of the Twin Cities". That's what it feels like now anyway. I don't see the connection between the U and outstate MN anymore.

Don't see the connection? Bob has pointed out five or six times for you that there are a handful of outstate kids that are currently committed to the Gophers in this year's recruiting class. You just refuse to acknowledge this point since it completely ruins your argument. Kill and his staff are actually taking the time to scout and recruit the entire state, not just the metro.

Don't see the connection? Bob has pointed out five or six times for you that there are a handful of outstate kids that are currently committed to the Gophers in this year's recruiting class. You just refuse to acknowledge this point since it completely ruins your argument. Kill and his staff are actually taking the time to scout and recruit the entire state, not just the metro.
They've already said they only consider Northern Minnesota to be "outstate" for whatever reason.

I'm sorry there aren't more Big Ten quality prospects in places like International Falls. As a fan of a team in a talent-starved area, I wish there were. I wish we didn't have to go to Florida and compete with 10 other teams for guys that the big programs don't even want. But, we do. That's just the facts. bemidjifan bring up teams like NDSU, but as many people have pointed out, even those teams don't recruit Northern Minnesota nearly as heavily as the Metro and other areas.

Why not just change the name to "University of the Twin Cities". That's what it feels like now anyway. I don't see the connection between the U and outstate MN anymore.

If you don't see the connection, it's your own fault, you are completely helpless.

If you don't see it, then you're blind. Where ever you go in the state, you'll see people wearing University of Minnesota t-shirts and sweaters. There are 40 radio stations that carry Gophers football. Your perception is nothing but a fantasy.

Since Kill got here he's doing a great job in his short tenure recruiting out-state. The people from out-state don't feel a connection anymore because when Brewster took over he basically shunned the out-state area.

I think Kill will recruit all over and focus on the State. He has lots of relationships in the Midwest and we can expect to see a good pipeline from Chicago and Kansas. He is developing solid relationships with the high school coach's in the metro and out state. Brewster talked of recruiting the state but really was only lip service and did not work the state as he promised.

Just remember...Bemidjifan thought Bemidji would destroy Eden Prairie....hows Rocori's boot on the back of your neck feel?

Since Kill got here he's doing a great job in his short tenure recruiting out-state. The people from out-state don't feel a connection anymore because when Brewster took over he basically shunned the out-state area.

That's really not the case either. In Brew's 3ish recruiting classes, he signed Rengel from Sartell and Campion from Fergus Falls (signed Campion twice).

I'm sure i'm missing some people, but I can't think of many recruits from outstate MN that Brew didn't offer that he should have. However, I can think of many guys who Brew didn't offer that he should have from the Metro.

There just isn't very much evidence that Brewster didn't neglected the outstate talent, because during his time, there really wasn't a ton. (It goes in cycles).

Man, I don't agree with that. I've never heard people make fun of UND and NDSU. I've heard they are the best value (tuition-wise) for Minnesota kids because college is so much more expensive in Minnesota, even at the smaller MN schools. I wouldn't have a problem sending my kid to either school. U of M is cost prohibitive for a public school.
Really? The state schools in Minnesota are considered too expensive? Unless UND and NDSU are the price of Community Colleges that is complete and utter BS.

Really? The state schools in Minnesota are considered too expensive? Unless UND and NDSU are the price of Community Colleges that is complete and utter BS.

People need to check sites like the one at Useless News and World Distort before posting the comparisons. The Twin Cities campus has considerably higher tuition than the North Dakota schools, but the cost difference between the North Dakota schools and colleges in the Minnesota State system isn't that much (several hundred dollars per year in most instances).

Note to Carey Woods. Please disregard most everything that has been written in this thread. You are a spectacular athlete and I hope you do well wherever you choose to attend.

Total cost of attendance (tuition, housing, meals) at Bemidji State $15312 (from BSU website), UND is closer to $12000. I think that's substantial. U of M is closer to $20000.

UND actually worked out to be exactly $14000. So cheaper? Yes. But when you include awards from FAFSA, assuming the student applies, the grant a Minnesota resident gets for attending school in Minnesota makes up for it. (If I remember right it was $1500 for me)

I like Woods as a player, would like to see coaches work him out in person?

Would be nice to see Gopher coaches evaluate Woods in person at least get a feel for if he is as talented as he seems. Why not at least work him out in person, have him run
a few drills before making a final call on this guy. I'm sure they have seen tape but doubt he has been evaluated in person. He is tall and fast, and seems raw football wise I think that is why he was offered a preferred Walk-on spot first. I agree if he were from a Metro program he would have a lot more visibility and higher profile as a recruit. Just don't think a lot of D1 programs have even seen this kids tape if he was as focused on basketball as others have said.

Would be nice to see Gopher coaches evaluate Woods in person at least get a feel for if he is as talented as he seems. Why not at least work him out in person, have him run
a few drills before making a final call on this guy. I'm sure they have seen tape but doubt he has been evaluated in person. He is tall and fast, and seems raw football wise I think that is why he was offered a preferred Walk-on spot first. I agree if he were from a Metro program he would have a lot more visibility and higher profile as a recruit. Just don't think a lot of D1 programs have even seen this kids tape if he was as focused on basketball as others have said.

I'm 99.9% positive that that is extremely illegal.

I'm 99.9% positive that that is extremely illegal.
Granted this is D2 but I had a friend looking at playing at BSU and they had a day where he and a bunch of other guys went up there and did some lifts and some running. But this could just be for an accurate measurement of 40 time and lifting stats.

Granted this is D2 but I had a friend looking at playing at BSU and they had a day where he and a bunch of other guys went up there and did some lifts and some running. But this could just be for an accurate measurement of 40 time and lifting stats.

Sounds like a camp. Camps are obviously legal. Scheduling a workout for one player is not.

Sounds like a camp. Camps are obviously legal. Scheduling a workout for one player is not.
Ya I guess you could call that a camp. The only thing that made me think it wasn't was it happened in like the dead of winter, but that doesn't really mean anything.

I do agree that he'd be more talked about in general, however, more good Metro players every year get passed over than kids from outstate. The staff would still be able to find him and evaluate him, there are lots of kids from outstate MN who get recruiting attention.

Woods is a talented kid. He is not someone I would have any problem if the U offered him and I would love it if he walked on here. So this isn't an attack on him or his ability. However, he is a 6'0", fast WR....how often does he go against any kind of competition? Andre McDonald was going against kids who will/could play college football every single game.

There just aren't many skill position players in his neck of the woods, so it's hard to judge him. Additionally, he's going to look better than he even is, because there isn't much competition (and he played with a good QB).

Ya I guess you could call that a camp. The only thing that made me think it wasn't was it happened in like the dead of winter, but that doesn't really mean anything.

You are absolutely correct that this does happen at the D2 level. I have personally observed (while playing for a D2 team) and was invited to them. I don't know what the difference in rules are, but D2 does invite players to run, vert, bench, etc.

I guess I should apologize for starting this feud. I just thought it would be great for a kid like Woods to get some scholarship money from U of M. I think a lot of people from northern MN would go to a lot more games if they felt more of a connection with Gopher football. It's supposed to be a statewide program. I guess I'm a little biased, I just think this kid is one of the best athletes to come out of Bemidji in a long while, and maybe the bias in me gets in the way of being objective. Anyway, sorry if I came off as a homer, I guess I am, I just don't see a lot of kids from up here get much attention from the only major college football program in our state. I hope it works out, but if it doesn't, that's ok too. I was just a little taken aback by some of the mean spiritedness from some of you, and I kind of reciprocated in kind. I shouldn't have, I am sorry, two wrongs don't make a right. Anyway, good luck to Woods wherever he goes, and I hope Mr. Kill brings the Gopher program back to the top. Thanks.

I do agree that he'd be more talked about in general, however, more good Metro players every year get passed over than kids from outstate. The staff would still be able to find him and evaluate him, there are lots of kids from outstate MN who get recruiting attention.

Woods is a talented kid. He is not someone I would have any problem if the U offered him and I would love it if he walked on here. So this isn't an attack on him or his ability. However, he is a 6'0", fast WR....how often does he go against any kind of competition? Andre McDonald was going against kids who will/could play college football every single game.

There just aren't many skill position players in his neck of the woods, so it's hard to judge him. Additionally, he's going to look better than he even is, because there isn't much competition (and he played with a good QB).

Exactly. Kids from outstate generally don't play nearly as good of competition so it's more of a risk. It doesn't mean that a guy like Woods can't play for the Gophers. That's why having a good walk-on program is so important. Look at a guy like Jared Abbrederis for wisconsin. You can find some good sleepers with much less risk. Winning will help. I just don't think there are as many high school kids growing up wanting to be Gophers as there are in wisconsin or iowa.

Exactly. Kids from outstate generally don't play nearly as good of competition so it's more of a risk. It doesn't mean that a guy like Woods can't play for the Gophers. That's why having a good walk-on program is so important. Look at a guy like Jared Abbrederis for wisconsin. You can find some good sleepers with much less risk. Winning will help. I just don't think there are as many high school kids growing up wanting to be Gophers as there are in wisconsin or iowa.

Which is why camps are huge in evaluating players. In a camp, for any sport, coaches can set up drills and situations where they can evaluate exactly what is important to them, speed aptitude, coachability, etc. If a player is evaluated on just film and is not involved in track, the coaches are guessing based on the talent level of the players on the field, not a standard. Not to say that all players who sign attend the U camps, but it is easier to evaluate against known standards than unknown. That leads to the risk. Metro kids are probably more likely to attend the U camps, so when a player competes against someone who was at camp , there is a somewhat known commodity.

Which is why camps are huge in evaluating players. In a camp, for any sport, coaches can set up drills and situations where they can evaluate exactly what is important to them, speed aptitude, coachability, etc. If a player is evaluated on just film and is not involved in track, the coaches are guessing based on the talent level of the players on the field, not a standard. Not to say that all players who sign attend the U camps, but it is easier to evaluate against known standards than unknown. That leads to the risk. Metro kids are probably more likely to attend the U camps, so when a player competes against someone who was at camp , there is a somewhat known commodity.

You see more metro kids at the U camps because there are more good players in the metro. However, every year we have a lot of outstate kids at our camps. Woods problem is that he is outstate (so lack of competition) and didn't attend the camps. It makes it tough, and is the basis for a lot of the initial arguments on this thread on why he is "riskier" than the average recruit.

Those kids come in and compete just like the metro guys.

I guess I should apologize for starting this feud. I just thought it would be great for a kid like Woods to get some scholarship money from U of M. I think a lot of people from northern MN would go to a lot more games if they felt more of a connection with Gopher football. It's supposed to be a statewide program. I guess I'm a little biased, I just think this kid is one of the best athletes to come out of Bemidji in a long while, and maybe the bias in me gets in the way of being objective. Anyway, sorry if I came off as a homer, I guess I am, I just don't see a lot of kids from up here get much attention from the only major college football program in our state. I hope it works out, but if it doesn't, that's ok too. I was just a little taken aback by some of the mean spiritedness from some of you, and I kind of reciprocated in kind. I shouldn't have, I am sorry, two wrongs don't make a right. Anyway, good luck to Woods wherever he goes, and I hope Mr. Kill brings the Gopher program back to the top. Thanks.
One thing you need to know, there are no partial scholarships in FBS football or Division 1 basketball, it's all or none.

Hey - no need to apologize for being a homer. :) I was stoked to see Heifort join up at the U - and would love to see Woods sign, too (assuming they're both men of good character). And I'm still hoping that Mollberg finds a way to join up, too.
And, I agree with you, as someone from Bemidji, I felt pretty much no connection to the U of M. When I went to undergrad at Madison, I didn't understand when people said there was a rivalry between Minnesota and Wisconsin. As I told my friend, "I don't hate people from Wisconsin. I hate people from the Twin Cities." (Since then, I've come to love Minnesota; also, I never went to a Badger football game). I don't know how to resolve this, but I think it'd be great if they could find a way to draw more northerners to the U.

Someone can correct me if I'm off-base, but it seems to me that 2012 commit Eric Murray is an example of the importance of camps to securing an offer. Murray came to the Gophers' 2011 summer camp as a WR and the coaching staff flipped him over to defense and lined him up at CB against Andre McDonald. Murray competed well and earned an offer.

The difficulty in gauging Woods is that he's been playing basketball during the summers (and there's nothing wrong with that), but if he had come to the U's summer camp and blown the doors off a few guys with his speed, he could have possibly found himself in the same boat as Murray.

I'm torn on the summer camp aspect. Of course, I'm almost 60 and when I was growing up, summer wasn't for going off to a camp in the effort to get an athletic scholarship. We were kids being kids. The reality is different today and I'm not going to dog Woods for making the decision he made, but it's made the next step difficult for those trying to decide whether or not to offer him a scholarship. Let me make it clear, it's not Woods' job to make life easier for college football staffs, it's just that he hasn't exactly made life easier for himself in the process.

I agree with you 100% 50poundhead, you can't really blame a kid for playing another sport at the time of the camps. However, it does create a problem where kids aren't able to showcase themselves, especially in an era (like today) where every scholarship is important. Kill said it best, if you make a mistake on signing the wrong recruit, you live with it 4 years.

For HS kids, it's too bad that's come to this. However, it's probably a good thing for college football because it makes recruiting less of a crap shoot.

I will say that the camps are in the summer so that kids who want to play basketball or hockey and HS baseball will usually be able to play all 3 sports and STILL attend the camps. Kids who choose to plays summer basketball rather than attend the camps are (in a small way) choosing to showcase themselves for a possible basketball scholarship rather than a football scholarship.

PS: You're right about Murray, it was something like a week after the camp, they offered him. It's a similar situation with Foster Bush (when Kill was at Northern Illinois). He wasn't really on anyone's radar and Kill offered him after a camp. The impressions from the camp must have been so compelling that Bush (along with Jones) switching to MN was one of the first things Kill and his staff did when they were hired here.

Top Bottom