Can we get a list of all the posters who thought Claeys was the right hire?

I was and am a Claeys supporter. The danger when promoting any coordinator to head coach is everyone's responsibilities shift and there are growing pains that may or may not be correctable. I think we're seeing some improvement under Johnson, the jury is out on Bart (too soon), and we've regressed under Sawvel on D and the DBs may not be getting the hands on coaching they need, similar to Limegrover unable to effectively coach the O line while being OC.

Given our propensity to give up the big play we may need to reexamine our feast or famine philosophy on D. Are we predictable on our blitzes? Are we containing? Should we play coverage more and incorporate spys on running QBs on critical downs? we are a gambling defense and we are losing too much right now against competent offenses. That, and some personnel decisions could go a long way to stabilize things.

I support Claeys as he was only option with our AD situation.

I have concerns about the hiring of our replacement coaches on defense. I worry his loyalty on defense will be like Kill's was on offense.

If I'm AD I cut ties if we don't win 8 or more games. Recruiting seems to be taking a step back even with new facilities coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm AD I cut ties if we don't win 8 or more games. Recruiting seems to be taking a step back even with new facilities coming.

Unfortunately I don't think recruits are dazzled by practice facilities currently under construction. And I agree with your overall analysis, but think Claey's is likely safe at 7-5 as well.

Most of those big passing and scramble plays were on the DL for losing contain and having an undisciplined and ineffective pass rush. There aren't many d backs at any levelcathan n cover guys for 7 seconds man to man in the scramble drill.

Pretty much agree. I think that the dline should have been instructed to stay in their rush lanes, not to be concerned with sacking their QB (it was clear that they were not going to get to him), just keep him in front of them, prevent him from stepping-up in the pocket where he made those long throws, or from taking off on a run. OK, easier said than done, but by trying to sack the QB they were just taking themselves out of the play. Without Devers in there sacks will be rare, rare, events. I pretty much agree with having to cover people for 7-seconds, but that one 3rd down pass (QB was backing up when he threw it and it was a real floater) should have been intercepted instead of completed for a 1st down. Safeties lick their chops at at such passes, it was like a beach ball in the air.

College football is a great partly because each game matters so much. That being said, I think some folks are over reacting to a tough loss. This team is going to be okay. Support the team and enjoy the games as much as you can.

I liked the decision to hire Claeys. I wish he would show a little more fire and passion but I am not in the locker room, team meetings etc....so I am not sure of his demeanor around the kids. I think he is still learning on the job and if that is the case, then I have some patience right now. What is most important is that he still has the backing of the payers and the staff, I can only assume he does at this point.

I also think if Poock stays healthy yesterday we win that ball game. As frustrated as I was yesterday, I am over this morning and look forward to better days ahead. I still think we can be a 9-3 team this year.

Problem is that it's the 6th year of a rebuilding program, with an easier schedule, and the defense is worse than the last few years, plus we still don't have a top level B10 QB. We could be underdogs in every game except those with Rutgers and Purdue - not where we thought we would be.

I'll gladly post. I think he was the right hire at the time and I still think he was the right hire at the time. Kept together a very good recruiting class and deserved the opportunity. Do I have a problem with firing him at the end of the season if things continue as they have been, absolutely not. Love how fans like the poster think MN can just take its pick of coaches. You make the change this year if necessary, not last year, especially with no AD. It's obvious from your post you are one of the ones who does not understand Gopher Football.

I'll gladly post. I think he was the right hire at the time and I still think he was the right hire at the time. Kept together a very good recruiting class and deserved the opportunity. Do I have a problem with firing him at the end of the season if things continue as they have been, absolutely not. Love how fans like the poster think MN can just take its pick of coaches. You make the change this year if necessary, not last year, especially with no AD. It's obvious from your post you are one of the ones who does not understand Gopher Football.

Nice post!! You are 100% spot on with everything you said!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I see, you don't think the coach should be fired because of his first loss - you think the coach should be fired because that first loss by 3-pts, in OT, on the road, to a team that was favored, makes it obvious he will lose several games. Yeah, that sounds better.

+1
OP is maybe the dumbest poster on this site. And the competition is stiff.

Agree, if you're giving up when we've just started the 2nd Quarter of the Season and we are 3-1. I would like to find anyone who thought that 7-8-9 wins this season wouldn't be an expected result this season. Still very much on track for that. We are in the 6th year of this program and the biggest difference from 6 years ago? We have a chance to compete in every single game we play.

BS question that speaks of bias built right into it.

Claeys is the right hire. Sick of the cry babies around here. Buy your tickets. Cheer the team on. Repeat ad infinitum. Any questions? Seems simple enough.

100% behind the hiring of coach Claeys and I still am a solid supporter

Team Claeys. Rediculously phrased topic. Doesn't even deserve the time for more than an 18 word response.

What other option was available besides hiring Claeys? It isn't like we have a long bench of coaches wanting to come here. Isn't like we have a long history of successful coaching hires. Isn't like we had an AD to make the hire. This threat is stupid.

Here's something I quickly calculated (somebody can correct me).

In our last 14 conference games, we are 4-10.

That's the same as Illinois.

Look at the big picture trend. It's bad! Really bad!

I think they should all post in this thread so we can identify them. It will be a very clear display of who understands Gopher Football and who doesn't.

I support Claeys and the current coaching staff.
I support the Gophers.

Here's something I quickly calculated (somebody can correct me).

In our last 14 conference games, we are 4-10.

That's the same as Illinois.

Look at the big picture trend. It's bad! Really bad!

It's been five years, I'm ready to rebuild again. :)

We could lose every game the rest of the season and would still say he was the right hire for the circumstances we were in at the time. I'm a little concerned but it is still very early. Lots of season left.

It's funny to me when some act like if you aren't as pissed off or concerned as them, then you don't want to win as much. Or the famous "you're ok with mediocrity" argument. I love this program just as much as anyone and want to see them win. Doesn't mean I need to fly off the handle after every loss.

Regardless who the coach is or any new hire the first thing I would suggest is that no one ever talks to big Chip Soggns at the Tribune, what a jerk. Under no circumstances should the Tribune have a press pass to any interview room or press conference. None. They aren't going to write any thing positive, so don't give them any opportunity to talk to any coach or athlete. None.

Regardless who the coach is or any new hire the first thing I would suggest is that no one ever talks to big Chip Soggns at the Tribune, what a jerk. Under no circumstances should the Tribune have a press pass to any interview room or press conference. None. They aren't going to write any thing positive, so don't give them any opportunity to talk to any coach or athlete. None.

You mean he didn't toss up any softballs to coach Claeys?

We could lose every game the rest of the season and would still say he was the right hire for the circumstances we were in at the time. I'm a little concerned but it is still very early. Lots of season left.

It's funny to me when some act like if you aren't as pissed off or concerned as them, then you don't want to win as much. Or the famous "you're ok with mediocrity" argument. I love this program just as much as anyone and want to see them win. Doesn't mean I need to fly off the handle after every loss.

Couldn't disagree more. Our fan base is way too accepting of losing and content with moral victories against the big boys. If we don't win 9+ games this season, when will it happen?

BS question that speaks of bias built right into it.

Claeys is the right hire. Sick of the cry babies around here. Buy your tickets. Cheer the team on. Repeat ad infinitum. Any questions? Seems simple enough.
While I also think Claeys is the right hire, I do think we need a couple excellent recruiters. I get the feeling we are competing with the MAC for players in our recruitment.

Top Bottom