Can we call this a signature win?

Very good point, ornery.

I have a different definition of a "signature" win. IMHO, a signature win is like a signpost or marker that says "the team has turned the corner" or "better times ahead." It's the game you look back at and say, "that was the turning point of the season."

And that sometimes has to be judged in retrospect. If the Gophs go out and beat Nebraska next week, I think you could argue the NW game was a signature win, because it set the stage for the next victory.

On the other hand, if the Gophs get their butts handed to them by Neb, then clearly the NW game was not a "signature" win - in retrospect, it becomes an anomaly, because it was not a harbinger of better things to come.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I could be crazy.........(and why do they keep telling me to take these pills................)

Who is saying that? I see some people in here getting all defensive about the reaction to the win and trying to make it seem like everyone is not giving the team credit. I don't see that at all. Northwestern's offense is not the same without Colter under center, there is no disputing that fact. However that does not change the fact that the win yesterday was clearly the best win of the season to date.

The general sentiment I see in here is that it was a good win on the road against a quality opponent. Apparently that is not good enough for some though who think everyone should be over the moon and banging their chest after the awesomeness that was yesterday.

It was a great win for the team, hopefully it springboards them to more wins down the stretch. People kept saying over the past few weeks that we should not attach too much significance to one loss, the same goes for a win. I don't see people calling this a bad win, anyone that would say that is nuts because any Big Ten win is a good win.

NW had the unfortunate schedule of back to back formidable foes. Their remaining games are against Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan, Michigan State, and Illinois. They are 4-3 now, but can still potentially finish 9-3 or 8-4. So, don't count them out. On the other hand, we are hoping a 6-6 or a 7-5 is attainable to get the Gophers to a bowl game.

Some may not say that the NW game is a signature win, but you have to give the Gophers as a team more credit. NW injuries or not, that was a pivotal win.

Yes on road this qualifies especially with their homecoming ing and they needed win also !

NW had the unfortunate schedule of back to back formidable foes. Their remaining games are against Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan, Michigan State, and Illinois. They are 4-3 now, but can still potentially finish 9-3 or 8-4. So, don't count them out. On the other hand, we are hoping a 6-6 or a 7-5 is attainable to get the Gophers to a bowl game.

Some may not say that the NW game is a signature win, but you have to give the Gophers as a team more credit. NW injuries or not, that was a pivotal win.

Agreed. I don't think a 7-5 regular season mark is out of the question. After the Iowa and Michigan games.....I was wondering if there were anymore wins on the schedule. We will need to see the defense play like they did yesterday and the offense find a spark.

Homecoming games suck. Who cares, unless you are the Homecoming King and Queen at High School.

Let's not forget, CARRIE was crowned Prom Queen.

As has been pointed out a lot of this hinges on your definition of a signature win but I think people are viewing the game basically exactly like the section quoted in bold. I just don't know that this win has any far reaching implications for the program that would typically be associated with a signature win. It was just a good win over a quality opponent in conference play, what I can't figure out is why saying that is offensive to a handful of fans on this board.

Who is saying that? I see some people in here getting all defensive about the reaction to the win and trying to make it seem like everyone is not giving the team credit. I don't see that at all. Northwestern's offense is not the same without Colter under center, there is no disputing that fact. However that does not change the fact that the win yesterday was clearly the best win of the season to date.

The general sentiment I see in here is that it was a good win on the road against a quality opponent. Apparently that is not good enough for some though who think everyone should be over the moon and banging their chest after the awesomeness that was yesterday.

It was a great win for the team, hopefully it springboards them to more wins down the stretch. People kept saying over the past few weeks that we should not attach too much significance to one loss, the same goes for a win. I don't see people calling this a bad win, anyone that would say that is nuts because any Big Ten win is a good win.

Good win for the Gophers but its just a win. NW is 0-3 in the Big Ten.

Good lord, no this is not a signature win. Northwestern is 0-3.

We beat a banged up Nerdwestern team that is winless in the B1G by 3 points

If beating an 0-3 Conf NW team without its 2 Top Playmakers on Offense is a signature win then the bar has been dropped horrifically...

A few examples..

There picked to win the division and had the best bowl showing last year so yes this was one on the road !

Top Bottom