Can we call this a signature win?

Solid win for sure. Beat a good NW team on the road without our head coach. Great win but definitely NOT a signature win for the program.

I agree with some of the other posters......signature win comes next week against Huskers right?!!!

I agree with some of the other posters......signature win comes next week against Huskers right?!!!

When we win, it'll be a chorus of "Martinez didn't play" or "Martinez isn't back from his turf toe".

I think a signature win is beating a good team when they're good. Not a beat up team like NW is. Great win, but not program changing.

+1 Without Mark and Colter...

This is an absurd question. It's a nice win, but we beat a non top 25 team without their two best players.

Lets celebrate the win with some perspective.

Injuries are not a separate entity. It is a direct part of the game, whether a jammed finger or a knee injury. Minnesota was more healthy and had more players to make more plays. To try to unlink the two is folly.

I'm going to answer before reading the rest of the thread. NU played really poorly today. But in the end, our boys went out there and won a game they were a 12.5 point dog in. Road games in the Big Ten are hard to win and we did it. I'm going to say no, it's not a signature win because this game doesn't declare "We're here!". It's a solid win, which I'm estactic over and puts a bowl game solidly back in the picture. Very proud of the team and the effort today.

We haven't beaten NW in our last four meetings. They were also at home. Have we suddenly been a world beater on the road? This was a solid win.

Did Northwestern play poorly on their own, or because the Gophers played well on defense? How did we get to this place where the Gophers only can win if their opponent played poorly. I think Minnesota forced NW's offense to play the way they did. Great job by Claeys. NW 6 of 16 on 3rd down.

This is not a signature win per se, but a possible turn in the road. Kill's system works because of his people--coaches and players. This is just another brick in the wall.

I view it as an important win - not a signature win. It adds a "brick" to what will likely be a slow process of building a competitive program.

I think is is a good win. It may be a signature win for the players on the team, giving them the confidence to go even farther, but it is not a signature win for the program.

You could tell the players brought a little more intensity on defense and it felt like the U was going to win from the start. I had a few doubts with the very predictable and conservative play calling to start the game and when NW was took advantage of some missed tackles to score the first TD. But the guys rallied back. Good win.

Great win, could change the season, which could change the program. Unfortunately, it is not a signature win for the fans/recruits/country. Wisconsin would be a signature and rivalry win, Michigan State might be a signature win. Outside of that, we will not be favored, and any win is a good win, but they would not be 'signature,' not even Nebraska, thought it could turn heads.

I think is is a good win. It may be a signature win for the players on the team, giving them the confidence to go even farther, but it is not a signature win for the program.

You could tell the players brought a little more intensity on defense and it felt like the U was going to win from the start. I had a few doubts with the very predictable and conservative play calling to start the game and when NW was took advantage of some missed tackles to score the first TD. But the guys rallied back. Good win.

Firmly agree that it seemed the Gophers were ready to win this game right from the outset - just felt good. Honestly, felt that if Limegrover's ultra-conservative 1st half gameplan had been even, simply, merely "conservative", the Gophers would have blown NW out. Was very frustrated that the opportunity to blow out NW right from the gate wasn't utilized. Happy the decision to hold the team back didn't cost the victory.

NU has struggled and were missing some key offensive weapons. Do we see this as a signature win or just a nice win and step forward?

not a signature win, however, it should catapult us into the top ten in the country. probably come out at No. 7 on Monday.:cool:

Just another thing we disagree on, Green Grover. Dark Side of the Moon is a top 10 rock classic for albums.

Yup...doesn't change my opinion.

When I was in high school, there were so many people trying to beat me over the head with "the school's" versions of great music that I rejected it altogether. I would be just fine never hearing Floyd, The Grateful Dead, CSNY, Skynard, or anything like it ever again.

It drove me to punk, reggae, ska, and other alternative music, and I'm happy with that. I don't want to change anyone's love of their favorite music, whatever it might be. I'll be happy listening to my choices without trying to force it on other people.

No, but a big win given our underdog status and the previous two games. As to NW missing key players, how many games did we play with our best out (Decker, Gray)? Things even out. It was a very nice win and makes a bowl a real possibility.

I brought up the question mainly because Coach Kill has mentioned that in year three of the programs he's coached at has produced a signature win for him. I don't consider this game to be a signature win, but if Coach Kill is to keep his record in tact we should look to see a signature win. What game, besides Wisconsin, would be considered a signature win by the time the B1G season comes to an end?

not a signature win, however, it should catapult us into the top ten in the country. probably come out at No. 7 on Monday.:cool:

I brought up the question mainly because Coach Kill has mentioned that in year three of the programs he's coached at has produced a signature win for him. I don't consider this game to be a signature win, but if Coach Kill is to keep his record in tact we should look to see a signature win. What game, besides Wisconsin, would be considered a signature win by the time the B1G season comes to an end?

Of the 5 remaining games I think Wisconsin and Nebraska would qualify for sure. Michigan State might as well because there is a good chance they will be playing for the Legends division championship. Penn State and Indiana would both qualify as nice wins but similar to Northwestern, not signature wins.

Ok this is the flip side to the don't jump off the cliff mentality after a loss. We beat a banged up Nerdwestern team that is winless in the B1G by 3 points. There is nothing about this performance that is signature material.

What team in the B1G wouldn't of been 0-2 after playing Ohio State and @ Wisconsin? Some posters are saying, "big deal, we beat a winless B1G team." There wouldn't be ONE team in the B1G who would of had a different record than 0-2 after playing the aforementioned schedule.

Season changing win for sure! We needed this one bad. Go gophers!!

Good answer. Winning this game puts us in a spot where we can reach a bowl game by beating Indiana OR Penn State (two very beatable opponents), and could get to 7 wins for the first time in Kill's tenure by beating both of them or by pulling off a big upset.

Losing this game puts us in a position where we still need two more wins, and nobody likes our chances of getting there. I know a lot of people refer to this as overreacting, but in a 12 game season, one game makes a big difference.

Never good enough. jNW was viewed as better than MSU all year (will be at year end too), but now that we beat them it is no big deal and MSU would be a better (signature) win? We beat a team that was ranked 15 2-weeks ago, on the road, 12 pt underdogs, but because they lost to tOSU and WI and dropped out of the rankings it becomes a "nice" win and no more BUT MSU would be? jNW is a much better team than MSU. Period.

By the reasoning on Gopherhole - if you lose to the Gophers you can't be good enough to count as a signature win for the Gophers.

What team in the B1G wouldn't of been 0-2 after playing Ohio State and @ Wisconsin? Some posters are saying, "big deal, we beat a winless B1G team." There wouldn't be ONE team in the B1G who would of had a different record than 0-2 after playing the aforementioned schedule.

Who is saying that? I see some people in here getting all defensive about the reaction to the win and trying to make it seem like everyone is not giving the team credit. I don't see that at all. Northwestern's offense is not the same without Colter under center, there is no disputing that fact. However that does not change the fact that the win yesterday was clearly the best win of the season to date.

The general sentiment I see in here is that it was a good win on the road against a quality opponent. Apparently that is not good enough for some though who think everyone should be over the moon and banging their chest after the awesomeness that was yesterday.

It was a great win for the team, hopefully it springboards them to more wins down the stretch. People kept saying over the past few weeks that we should not attach too much significance to one loss, the same goes for a win. I don't see people calling this a bad win, anyone that would say that is nuts because any Big Ten win is a good win.

We should control our reactions after a loss, but there's no reason to damper our excitement after a win.

i was just being silly and giddy with the win. not taking a shot a you in the least. very legitimate question.

Never good enough. jNW was viewed as better than MSU all year (will be at year end too), but now that we beat them it is no big deal and MSU would be a better (signature) win? We beat a team that was ranked 15 2-weeks ago, on the road, 12 pt underdogs, but because they lost to tOSU and WI and dropped out of the rankings it becomes a "nice" win and no more BUT MSU would be? jNW is a much better team than MSU. Period.

By the reasoning on Gopherhole - if you lose to the Gophers you can't be good enough to count as a signature win for the Gophers.

what does the "j" stand for in "jNW"?

I have a different definition of a "signature" win. IMHO, a signature win is like a signpost or marker that says "the team has turned the corner" or "better times ahead." It's the game you look back at and say, "that was the turning point of the season."

And that sometimes has to be judged in retrospect. If the Gophs go out and beat Nebraska next week, I think you could argue the NW game was a signature win, because it set the stage for the next victory.

On the other hand, if the Gophs get their butts handed to them by Neb, then clearly the NW game was not a "signature" win - in retrospect, it becomes an anomaly, because it was not a harbinger of better things to come.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I could be crazy.........(and why do they keep telling me to take these pills................)

Top Bottom