Campbell has high potential

It is the daily so take it for what it is worth but this section doesn't make sense to me.

But Thompson also said he knows replacing a force like Hageman will be tough.
Campbell, who’s often compared to Hageman, might be the player with the greatest chance of having such an impact.
“I don’t try to think about it too much,” Campbell said. “I’m just focused on bettering my game right now.”
Campbell, listed at 225 pounds, will need to add a few dozen pounds to have a Hageman- or Clowney-like impact on the gridiron.

I can't recall hearing Campbell compared to Hageman outside of this article, and frankly that makes very little sense since they are built totally differently and don't play the same position. The Clowney thing makes a little sense because they are both undersized for their position but Shede was certainly not undersized to play the DT position. All that aside Campbell is definitely a guy that will be counted on to have an impact this season because LB is a little thin on experience with the guys that graduated.

I thought Campbell looked a little green last year and does have a lot of potential, but I was far more impressed with Damien Wilson. That guy was a stud and has a great chance to be All-Big Ten this year.

It is the daily so take it for what it is worth but this section doesn't make sense to me.

Campbell, who’s often compared to Hageman, might be the player with the greatest chance of having such an impact.
“I don’t try to think about it too much,” Campbell said. “I’m just focused on bettering my game right now.”
Campbell, listed at 225 pounds, will need to add a few dozen pounds to have a Hageman- or Clowney-like impact on the gridiron.

I can't recall hearing Campbell compared to Hageman outside of this article, and frankly that makes very little sense since they are built totally differently and don't play the same position. The Clowney thing makes a little sense because they are both undersized for their position but Shede was certainly not undersized to play the DT position. All that aside Campbell is definitely a guy that will be counted on to have an impact this season because LB is a little thin on experience with the guys that graduated.

I believe Kill said athletically, Campbell is similar to Hageman and could warrant an early draft selection.

Campbell was the real deal from what I saw at practice. I think the LB core this year is going to be the best we've had in some time.

I thought Campbell looked a little green last year and does have a lot of potential, but I was far more impressed with Damien Wilson. That guy was a stud and has a great chance to be All-Big Ten this year.

I said at the beginning of the season last year that how far the Gophers went would hinge a LOT on how good Damien Wilson turns out to be. He turned out to be better than I think anyone ever hoped for, along with the other LB's also.

I agree, Campbell looked lost last season, a lot. But this year, I would say the Gophers hopes hinge a lot on how far he develops, along with perhaps the emergence of Poock. Might be too much to hope for a major impact from; Dixon, Laster, Lynn?

It would be GREAT to get the same contribution from big Harold Legania next year that the Gophers got from Roland Johnson last year, who knows. Needless to say, a few guys have to step up at DT.

I'm excited, to say the least. I think the defense will be improved, both from an increase in depth and an increase in offensive efficiency.

he compared his potential and freak athleticism and tools to Ra'Shede. He never actually said that they had similar styles.

I am hoping to see Devondre have a similar season to what Ra'shede did in 2012 or what Theiren did last year. I expect about 10 TFls and at least 5-6 sacks. I think he has a lot more potential as a pass rusher then Theiren, Ra'Shede or DL Wilhite have.

I also thought Campbell looked great last year. He's a pretty big dude, but where he really impresses me is with his speed. That kid can fly.

I said at the beginning of the season last year that how far the Gophers went would hinge a LOT on how good Damien Wilson turns out to be. He turned out to be better than I think anyone ever hoped for, along with the other LB's also. I agree, Campbell looked lost last season, a lot. But this year, I would say the Gophers hopes hinge a lot on how far he develops, along with perhaps the emergence of Poock. Might be too much to hope for a major impact from; Dixon, Laster, Lynn? It would be GREAT to get the same contribution from big Harold Legania next year that the Gophers got from Roland Johnson last year, who knows. Needless to say, a few guys have to step up at DT. I'm excited, to say the least. I think the defense will be improved, both from an increase in depth and an increase in offensive efficiency.

Granted it was only the third practice but I was impressed with Laster and Dixon. Athletic and seemed to be in the right place.

He is ranked as the 32nd best OLB in the 2016 draft so he is definitely on their radar.

No one's ever questioned Campbell's athletic ability or potential. The 800lb elephant in the room though, is has he gotten any better at taking on B1G blockers & tackling powerful running backs because that's what limited his impact last season.

He said himself that he's up 15 lbs since last season and hopes to gain another 5 to 8 lbs to reach his next season playing weight. He seems well aware of what may be limiting him.

Yeah hoping Cambell can turn on the intensity level this year, he looked quite passive in run support. It was his first year though coming into the big ten, looking for a jump in his play this year, we will need him.

Campbell's grasp of the game is that of a 10th grader at best.

He has no idea what he's doing. He barely knows how to tackle, for one.

THIS IS GOOD.

I think Campbell is the kind of kid that is just an athletic mismatch if he can get strong enough to play against power teams. If not he will still be good against spread teams like NW and Illinois.
The improvement in the quantity of good athletic talent at LB and DB is startling versus where we were before Kill. Lynn, Dixon, Laster and Wipson all look like guys who can be players in the future and we are not counting on any of them to start this season. I thought Dixon looked really thin from his HS tapes, and he is still not anything close to thick, but he does not look skinny. Laster just looks like he needs lots of reps. He can move and he will get a lot bigger. Lynn looks a lot bigger and I think he will get a lot bigger yet. Both he and Laster look like they have frames big enough to add a lot more good weight. By the way N Rallis is an absolute brick and he still moves well. Tough kid.
When you watch Johnson, Travis, Thompson, Levine, Murray, McGhee and Myrick running around out there you can see that all of them are better athletes than anybody but the best one or two players we had at DB before Kill got here.
If they had allowed full contact on Thursday, about four Gopher TEs or WRs would have been led or carried off the field. They would have been absolutely laid out.
I do worry about out DT play, but if we can fill that hole we should be pretty good on D.
H Ekpe looks big enough to play DE against power B1G teams which I have always thought is tough for guys the size of Amaefula.

Glad to hear he is putting lbs. He looked more like a DB than a linebacker last year especially wearing #26.

Glad to hear he is putting lbs. He looked more like a DB than a linebacker last year especially wearing #26.

Yeah, I would say the Sumo diet would be great for Campbell. He looked like Austin Hollins in pads last year. I wonder if we might see Pooke, Wilson, and Lynn a lot against the bigger B1G teams?

Yeah, I would say the Sumo diet would be great for Campbell. He looked like Austin Hollins in pads last year. I wonder if we might see Pooke, Wilson, and Lynn a lot against the bigger B1G teams?

Everyone that is ready to play will play. These coaches love to rotate players. But I agree we could see a heavier dose of some players depending on the situation/opponent.

Everyone that is ready to play will play. These coaches love to rotate players. But I agree we could see a heavier dose of some players depending on the situation/opponent.

I expect plenty of rotation and these guys to really tear it up on special teams. The best we have been at LB in decades.

Top Bottom