Cam Christie to the Clippers

Good news, he got drafted. But lots of people had him end of 1st or top of 2nd, so 46 is lower than expected. Hopefully, the Clippers connection is a good thing.

Press release from the U of MN:
MINNEAPOLIS – University of Minnesota men's basketball standout guard Cam Christie was drafted by the LA Clippers as the 46th overall pick in the 2024 NBA Draft Thursday night. The Arlington Heights, Ill., product became the 55th player in Golden Gopher history to be selected in the NBA Draft.

Christie, who was a Gopher freshman in the 2023-24 season, is the first Minnesota player to be drafted since Daniel Oturu in 2020 when he was the 33rd overall pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves (he was subsequently traded to the New York Knicks; the Knicks traded Oturu to the L.A. Clippers). Christie is also the fifth Gopher to be drafted since 2000 and marks Ben Johnson's first NBA drafted player as head coach.

"Congrats to Cam and his family on fulfilling a lifelong dream," head coach Ben Johnson said. "Credit to him and the work he's put in to be where he is today. The Clippers are getting a high character winner who will work his tail off every day to improve as a player. I cannot wait to watch his NBA success and I am proud he is part of our Gopher family."

Christie ranked second on the team in scoring in the 2023-24 campaign when he averaged 11.3 points and 30.1 minutes played. Christie shot 40.3 from the field and 39.1 from beyond the arc. He ranked first on the team in three-pointers attempted (179) and second in three-pointers made (70). The rookie has also established 119 rebounds, 74 assists, 11 blocks, 21 steals, and 373 points.

Playing in 33 games in the 2023-24 season, Christie started in 26 of them and scored in double digits 21 times, including a six-game Big Ten streak. Christie was also a two-time Big Ten Freshman of the Week. Christie was the first Gopher freshman to land a spot on the Big Ten's All-Freshman Team since Amir Coffey in 2017.

Christie became the first-ever Golden Gopher drafted by the LA Clippers. Christie was drafted at the age of 18, turning 19 next month. Christie is tied with Pittsburgh's Carlton (Bub) Carrington for the youngest collegiate player drafted this season.

Christie also joins the same organization as Gopher alum Amir Coffey (2016-19), who just completed his fifth NBA season this past year and has played in over 250 games.

Yawn - the kid needs to learn how to play defense - if anyone watched the Indiana State game will know how poor this kid on the defensive end - can’t handle BIG yet alone NBA

Thankfully it is a small percentage of posters here but it is pathetic that there are people in this thread taking shots at Cam.

A player for the Gophers just got drafted by an NBA team. That is a great thing for the kid and the program.

Congrats to Cam and very happy for him and his family. Landed with one of the best coaches/staffs in the league
LOL still on about the coaching. They really know how to put a ball through a hoop very well. And their nutrition program is top notch I suppose.

Thankfully it is a small percentage of posters here but it is pathetic that there are people in this thread taking shots at Cam.

A player for the Gophers just got drafted by an NBA team. That is a great thing for the kid and the program.
Nobody is taking shots at Cam.

But we shouldn't be forced to enjoy it when our players leave too early. You have to perform mental gymnastics to find the good in it.

Kind of a bummer he fell so far, and I'm sure he'd tell you the same.

Not only is it harder to command guaranteed money that far down into the 2nd round, but CBJ & the program would also have benefitted from a 1st round spot.

But we shouldn't be forced to enjoy it when our players leave too early. You have to perform mental gymnastics to find the good in it.
A non one and done program and getting one can have nothing but positive long term impact on the program. Many on this site don't give any credit to Johnson but at the very least he put Christie in a position to succeed, something that competent leaders do.

LesBolstad and Holereader absolutely took shots at Cam in this very thread.

No mental gymnastics needed to find the good in a player getting drafted into the NBA. The NBA has the G League for development of the guys who don't want to be in college but are not yet fully NBA ready.

Oturu got close to $3 million from the Clippers a little higher in round 2. Cam needs a good summer league.

5 gophers total drafted since 2000? My god that seems low. What was the total from the
Mychal Thomson, Mark Olberdibg,, Ray Williams, Kevin Mchale, Randy Bruer, Jim Peterson, Trent Tucker, Voshon Leonard, Willie Burton, John Thomas, Sam Jacobson, Bobby Jackson, Quincey Lewis are 13 I can name off the top of my head. The program was good from 1975 to 2000.
5 gophers total drafted since 2000? My god that seems low. What was the total from the previous 25 years?

Oturu got close to $3 million from the Clippers a little higher in round 2. Cam needs a good summer league.
Even though a better draft position than Cam, Oturu played in only 33 nba games totaling < 100 minutes and < 50 points. If he got the total $ 3mm, good for him. Even though Cam was drafted there's no guaranteed contracts. He'd have to work in a regular job for 20+ years to make what a NBA rookie could make with their first contract, so probably a smart move.

Even though a better draft position than Cam, Oturu played in only 33 nba games totaling < 100 minutes and < 50 points. If he got the total $ 3mm, good for him. Even though Cam was drafted there's no guaranteed contracts. He'd have to work in a regular job for 20+ years to make what a NBA rookie could make with their first contract, so probably a smart move.
Good analysis. I think the difference between Christie and Oturu is that Christie has one A+ skill (shooting) while Oturu was more well-rounded but really didn't have a single calling-card skill. Oturu was also a bit of a tweener in the size department. Christie is a tall (and lanky) wing. I'm old and back in the 1960s and 1970s, guys with Oturu's profile was that of a classic power forward. 4s are just bigger now and the only way a guy Oturu's size succeeds at that position is if he has an A+ skill (usually scoring) that can make for a mismatch.

Yawn - the kid needs to learn how to play defense - if anyone watched the Indiana State game will know how poor this kid on the defensive end - can’t handle BIG yet alone NBA
And you coach what team exactly?

I love how bitter some around here are...some of you are just sad.

Congratulations to Cam, going to live his dream. I always thought those saying 1st round (some even early 1st) were way over their skis.

Top Bottom