Cam Christie is entering the Transfer Portal

An ESPN story on the portal featuring Christie in a photograph. It's one of their subscriber stories which I'm not paying for, but they evidently think there's a decent chance Cam goes in the second round if you read the caption.

You can read this story if you (can't believe I'm advocating for this) sign up for the Disney trio bundle. Actually kinda worth it

No way. The coach's team has to perform well enough for him to get a 5th year. Whatever was earmarked or planned for Payne, Hawkins, and Christie has to be spent on the best players he can get. He's only going to get a couple more at most anyway (there are now 10 players in place for next season). Most of the roster will be gone after next season and that should free up a lot of funds.
Really hoping it's all still earmarked for Cam and is the amount he's looking for...

Doogie said yesterday that Cam's NBA feedback has been "lukewarm" so there's a decent chance he will play college basketball next year. It just won't be at Minnesota.
He still technically could return to MN.

This is almost certainly fantasy land and wishful thinking on my part, but I think, generally speaking, if a player says they are going to start the NBA process, it's a no brainer to also enter the portal before the opportunity closes as well. In most cases, the program that he played at has to plan as if the player isn't coming back once he declares for the NBA draft. Hypothetically then the team lands a really good player in the portal at the same position, the guy looking at the NBA may not want to return to that same program now due to a logjam at the position.

Highly unlikely to be the case at MN but it does seem that most guys that test the NBA draft also enter the portal.

I'm not talking about lunch money or a small team stipend.

The #84 rated high school recruit isn't going to get paid in his first year. If they develop and show potential...then they go for the money.

Until we get theses basic facts and common-sense down...no wonder we can't agree on anything in here.

Here's the top 100 2024 recruits.....are you saying that the #84 rated kid in this class isn't getting big NIL $$$$? YOU ARE EITHER NUTS, IN DENIAL OR JUST PLAIN DUMB????

Interesting to note Mercy Miller is at 82 and signed with Houston.....you don't think he got big money? Look at the schools kids that are ranked in that area are committed to....UCONN, Tennessee, LSU, Houston, etc.....those kids are getting big NIL money. SMH

Here's the top 100 2024 recruits.....are you saying that the #84 rated kid in this class isn't getting big NIL $$$$? YOU ARE EITHER NUTS, IN DENIAL OR JUST PLAIN DUMB????

Interesting to note Mercy Miller is at 82 and signed with Houston.....you don't think he got big money? Look at the schools kids that are ranked in that area are committed to....UCONN, Tennessee, LSU, Houston, etc.....those kids are getting big NIL money. SMH
No, I don't think high school kids ranked in the 80's are getting money.

Why would they???

This is almost certainly fantasy land and wishful thinking on my part, but I think, generally speaking, if a player says they are going to start the NBA process, it's a no brainer to also enter the portal before the opportunity closes as well. In most cases, the program that he played at has to plan as if the player isn't coming back once he declares for the NBA draft. Hypothetically then the team lands a really good player in the portal at the same position, the guy looking at the NBA may not want to return to that same program now due to a logjam at the position.

Highly unlikely to be the case at MN but it does seem that most guys that test the NBA draft also enter the portal.
He also put a "do not contact" message on his portal entry. Who knows why, but that seems like it's an advantage for MN, under the right scenario. That scenario would be: a) he opts out of the NBA draft, b) MN hasn't yet gotten his replacement on board, c) other schools that might have been interested have either filled their needs or have exhausted their NIL coffers, d) MN has not depleted their NIL coffers and can offer a decent package, and e) no bridges have been burned.

It's a lot, but not as far out of the realm of possibilities that some seem to think. B is just too big a gamble to wait on - if you find a decent portaler, you have to pull the trigger. However, that might be easier said than done, and two weeks from now, who knows.

He could but he made it sound like he has big $$ offers elsewhere if he chooses not to stay in the draft. Also mentioned the entire Gopher NIL budget is $300-400K and Garcia probably gets a large % of that.

He could but he made it sound like he has big $$ offers elsewhere if he chooses not to stay in the draft. Also mentioned the entire Gopher NIL budget is $300-400K and Garcia probably gets a large % of that.
Yeah, like I said it's probably wishful thinking. But for him just depends on what's most important to him.

He also put a "do not contact" message on his portal entry. Who knows why, but that seems like it's an advantage for MN, under the right scenario. That scenario would be: a) he opts out of the NBA draft, b) MN hasn't yet gotten his replacement on board, c) other schools that might have been interested have either filled their needs or have exhausted their NIL coffers, d) MN has not depleted their NIL coffers and can offer a decent package, and e) no bridges have been burned.

It's a lot, but not as far out of the realm of possibilities that some seem to think. B is just too big a gamble to wait on - if you find a decent portaler, you have to pull the trigger. However, that might be easier said than done, and two weeks from now, who knows.
Yeah there's a chance he comes back maybe a little bit higher than 0% I think many of us have developed the mindset that we have to expect little to nothing so we're not surprised. We can be disappointed though. That's why at this point, if by chance he DID come back, we'd be ecstatic. But if he didn't, whether it's draft or a different school, no big deal.
If he came back, him and Dawson would be options 1a and 1b.

Garcia gets more than that entire budget. So the number is off.

8. Cam Christie, 6-6, SG, Fr., Minnesota Golden Gophers

Christie could opt to keep his name in the NBA draft, projecting as an early-second-round pick. The smooth freshman averaged 11.4 points and shot better than 39% from 3.

This is all the article said. ESPN+ and Disney+ are part of the Hulu bundle, love ESPN+ for college football and basketball, love Disney+ for Star Wars and Marvel, and my daughter loves it for all that other stuff 👍

pretty sure Hercy and Mercy nil deals have more to do with Master P and less to do the the schools they chose for bball.

Cam has been officially invited to the NBA Combine in Chicago next week.

Attachments

• IMG_4260.jpeg
    IMG_4260.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 11

Whatever Ben is doing is not having enough money to compete with the blue-blood schools. If/When Christie comes back to NCAA he will go to a program with some serious cash for him. That is just the way that college basketball is now. Hell, we would all act the same way if we were 20-year olds in college who were given the opportunity to get serious cash. I can't fault him but it hurts to see that this is the way college basketball is now. This is just the landscape now
Who are the Blue Bloods that Ben is competing against? hahahahahaha

Ben has not and will not ever be able to compete against Blue Bloods.

Ben recruited Christie away from Michigan State, Illinois and several Blue Bloods so your quote is pure bullspit!
hahahahahahahahahahaha OK, whatever you say. BTW, what's it like living in lala land?

hahahahahahahahahahaha OK, whatever you say. BTW, what's it like living in lala land?
Probably similar to you living with your head up your ass, except I can breathe better..

Pretty disappointing to read the juvenile comments posted here. People can’t even be classy towards each other when they are fans of the same team, but just have different opinions. It’s just a small example of the problem we have nationally.

honestly, I would put the odds of Christie returning to MN at about 3%- and that might be stretching it. I won't say Zero chance, because theoretically there is always a chance, but realistically, it looks as if Christie is thinking NBA all the way. If he isn't drafted, then he has the portal as a fall-back position. in which case it comes down to how much NIL he is offered and from whom. If it is a question of who offers the most money, MN is not winning that fight.

so ironically, for all the Ben bashers, it's possible that the only chance of Christie returning to MN hinges on Christie liking the current Coach.

again, odds are very low, but if Christie said he was coming back to MN because of the coach, there would be people on this board running out to buy adult diapers, because there would be a lot of pants-shitting going on.

honestly, I would put the odds of Christie returning to MN at about 3%- and that might be stretching it. I won't say Zero chance, because theoretically there is always a chance, but realistically, it looks as if Christie is thinking NBA all the way. If he isn't drafted, then he has the portal as a fall-back position. in which case it comes down to how much NIL he is offered and from whom. If it is a question of who offers the most money, MN is not winning that fight.

so ironically, for all the Ben bashers, it's possible that the only chance of Christie returning to MN hinges on Christie liking the current Coach.

again, odds are very low, but if Christie said he was coming back to MN because of the coach, there would be people on this board running out to buy adult diapers, because there would be a lot of pants-shitting going on.
I am conflicted on Ben- that said, I would guess that Christie returning here would be related to three things:

1. He doesn't get assurance he needs from NBA scouts to stay in the draft
2. He likes Ben
3. He thinks Minnesota is more likely to feature him and position him for the pros than others (we certainly did this past year).

The more I see of this situation the more I am convinced that Caam and his family chose Minnesota in the first place for reasons 2 and 3 and that playing in a featured role early was more important than winning big. If he returns to college ball, I don't think Minnesota has to win the money battle but we have to be in the ballpark. The bigger money at stake is NBA money for the future. Is it better to go to a top 20 club and risk getting only 20 minutes or is it better to get 32 minutes at Minnesota?

He either needs to stay in the draft or come back to MN. Transferring to a new coach/team with uncertain usage would be a very risky move for Year 2.

I am conflicted on Ben- that said, I would guess that Christie returning here would be related to three things:

1. He doesn't get assurance he needs from NBA scouts to stay in the draft
2. He likes Ben
3. He thinks Minnesota is more likely to feature him and position him for the pros than others (we certainly did this past year).

The more I see of this situation the more I am convinced that Caam and his family chose Minnesota in the first place for reasons 2 and 3 and that playing in a featured role early was more important than winning big. If he returns to college ball, I don't think Minnesota has to win the money battle but we have to be in the ballpark. The bigger money at stake is NBA money for the future. Is it better to go to a top 20 club and risk getting only 20 minutes or is it better to get 32 minutes at Minnesota?
Every player that has put their name in the portal you have held out hope that they'll return. They haven't and they're not going to. If Christie plays college basketball next year, it won't be at MN. Doogie made it clear he put his name in the portal because he has big $$ promised elsewhere if he chooses to pull out of the draft. If he had any intention of playing for the Gophers again, he wouldn't have gone into the portal.

He either needs to stay in the draft or come back to MN. Transferring to a new coach/team with uncertain usage would be a very risky move for Year 2.

unless some other program is offering a lot of money and playing time. hard to know what type of promises are being made - especially in today's climate.

but, as I said, Christie supposedly likes Ben, so that may count for something. His brother must be making a few bucks in the NBA - maybe he can make a donation to Dinkytown Athletes......?
and hit up Coffey for a donation, too.

unless some other program is offering a lot of money and playing time. hard to know what type of promises are being made - especially in today's climate.

but, as I said, Christie supposedly likes Ben, so that may count for something. His brother must be making a few bucks in the NBA - maybe he can make a donation to Dinkytown Athletes......?
and hit up Coffey for a donation, too.
If I was a recruit the level of Cam Christie and I was on the verge of being drafted after my FR season, I wouldn't change a thing. I'd run it back.

There are just so many unknowns with new environments, I'd try to control what I could.

Every player that has put their name in the portal you have held out hope that they'll return. They haven't and they're not going to. If Christie plays college basketball next year, it won't be at MN. Doogie made it clear he put his name in the portal because he has big $$ promised elsewhere if he chooses to pull out of the draft. If he had any intention of playing for the Gophers again, he wouldn't have gone into the portal.
100% all about the $$$$$

If I was a recruit the level of Cam Christie and I was on the verge of being drafted after my FR season, I wouldn't change a thing. I'd run it back.

There are just so many unknowns with new environments, I'd try to control what I could.
No way.... 19 year old with huge $$ signs being flashed in front of you....no way

You're more than likely right but I don't think that's automatically true. It appears to be pretty standard for a player that's testing the NBA to also put their name in the portal while they can.

To me it's a no brainer to put your name in the portal in this situation just to give you more options if you do decide to return to college.

No way.... 19 year old with huge $$ signs being flashed in front of you....no way
I don't think I would. I don't blame someone for doing it. I passed over a lot of money at 23 to improve the amount of money I would make in the future. I did it while also not having a family with tons of cash (like Cam). I'm not saying that I blame him for taking the money, but he has a legit shot at much more money than a NIL deal.

If I was Cam Christie, I'd go to the NBA (if I could get drafted), D-League, or return to MN.

Every choice I would make would be about what would put me in a better position to go to the NBA.

Other schools don't need to win big & create energy first before buying the players. The rich boosters know that players come FIRST. And you don't win big when all your good players are bought by other teams every year.
You have been banging the drum hard that Ben has nothing to do with who stays and who goes and that is why we shouldn’t hope for a better coach.

But applying that same logic why would we bother to pay him 2 million if none of this is on him? Might as well find whoever will take the lowest salary and go with him.

Top Bottom