Cam Christie is entering the Transfer Portal

If he is coming back here why make the portal announcement at all? It changes nothing and adds nothing. His position today is the same as it was a week ago.

You are right though he has almost no intention of stepping foot on a campus again as a player.
The part I highlighted from the previous post didn't show very well. Christie didn't announce it. Media who shouldn't have access to the portal info, announced it.

The reason Christie entered, even though he's likely to go to the draft and likely to return to the U, if he comes back to college, is because he needs leverage with DTA and the U. If he wasn't in the portal and withdrew from the draft he'd be locked into the U. They could then low-ball his NIL and say "too bad, we used your offer on other players in the mean time, guess you're out of options." With the portal open for him, he keeps maximum options. So in the unlikely event he returns to college, he'll have a landing spot, probably at the U, with NIL money. If the money's gone, he can assess other options.

If that’s his take on his job, we are screwed. Coaching College Basketball in 2024 requires you to be a fundraiser and a program builder.
Wrong. It's the administration's job to raise funds.

Sure, Ben could take cash from a booster in a brown paper bag. But at other schools, they pay legally now...through the administration.

We dont know that!
Entering the portal may be his way of leveraging the NBA teams for a better deal by showing them he has many good alternatives if they don't offer him what he wants.
You keep wishing that. Zero chance that is true. NBA teams are not competing with college NIL at all.

Not enough of it. It requires winning and building some energy around the program.
Other schools don't need to win big & create energy first before buying the players. The rich boosters know that players come FIRST. And you don't win big when all your good players are bought by other teams every year.

You think there are no boosters out there who would give more money to a good team than a bad team?
No.

If they won't give to keep our players now...they won't give later.

And our administration has never been supportive of men's basketball. In fact, their track-record is 100% at sabotaging all of our best potential teams.

The part I highlighted from the previous post didn't show very well. Christie didn't announce it. Media who shouldn't have access to the portal info, announced it.

The reason Christie entered, even though he's likely to go to the draft and likely to return to the U, if he comes back to college, is because he needs leverage with DTA and the U. If he wasn't in the portal and withdrew from the draft he'd be locked into the U. They could then low-ball his NIL and say "too bad, we used your offer on other players in the mean time, guess you're out of options." With the portal open for him, he keeps maximum options. So in the unlikely event he returns to college, he'll have a landing spot, probably at the U, with NIL money. If the money's gone, he can assess other options.
I think this is correct, and for the player, 100% the right move.

But this is exactly I am over this current situation. I have 0 issue with the kid getting paid and 0 issue with testing the draft process BUT there needs to be some give and take.

So since there are morons here who will twist everything. I HAVE ZERO IDEA THE AMOUNT AND THIS IS NOT SPECIFIC TO CAM! Now, let's say we have $500k sitting around for Cam as of a week ago, great. He does what he did, now WTF should the coach/program/NIL collective do?? Do you say yep we will stash that money in hopes he comes back. That's fine and dandy until he pulls out of the draft but says nah $500k isn't good enough, I need $1m. Now we can't afford that and instead of picking up higher end guys with that money we got nothing. But on the other hand if you say well we don't know, so just spend that $500k on others then he pulls out and says ahh where is my money, and you tell him it was used on 3 bench guys you look pretty dumb.

It's absolutely the worst model that could've ever been imagined. Again i am fine with the kids having the ability to profit, but they also need to have some rules to play by. Now they have their cake and can eat it too. Also I'm not defending the NCAA here, they screwed the kids for so long that now the pendulum has swung hard the other way.

Just fix this because I hate where the system is.

But this is exactly I am over this current situation. I have 0 issue with the kid getting paid and 0 issue with testing the draft process BUT there needs to be some give and take.

So since there are morons here who will twist everything. I HAVE ZERO IDEA THE AMOUNT AND THIS IS NOT SPECIFIC TO CAM! Now, let's say we have $500k sitting around for Cam as of a week ago, great. He does what he did, now WTF should the coach/program/NIL collective do?? Do you say yep we will stash that money in hopes he comes back. That's fine and dandy until he pulls out of the draft but says nah $500k isn't good enough, I need $1m. Now we can't afford that and instead of picking up higher end guys with that money we got nothing. But on the other hand if you say well we don't know, so just spend that $500k on others then he pulls out and says ahh where is my money, and you tell him it was used on 3 bench guys you look pretty dumb.

It's absolutely the worst model that could've ever been imagined. Again i am fine with the kids having the ability to profit, but they also need to have some rules to play by. Now they have their cake and can eat it too. Also I'm not defending the NCAA here, they screwed the kids for so long that now the pendulum has swung hard the other way.

Well said, I think at that point just save the $500k for next year?

Well explained. Of course, in the real world, no matter what one does with that money, if it doesn't turn out positively, there will be plenty of detractors here complaining that "You should have known that's what was going to happen and done the other thing! How stupid and short-sighted!". Because hindsight is 20-20 and even a guy like me, who has no idea of what's happening on the inside, can guess right. then second guess others and crow about it, if I happen to get it right.

Wake up! Cam had no choice. If he comes back to school, other programs will gladly pay him 3x more than what Minnesota can. See Hawkins, Elijah.
Other programs probably would have paid him 3x more what he got at MN this past year too though. Yet he stayed with his MN commitment.

Other programs probably would have paid him 3x more what he got at MN this past year too though. Yet he stayed with his MN commitment.
We get players for cheap. And when they show potential, they go to other teams for big money.

No way we have $500K just sitting around waiting for Christie (or others) like some are suggesting.

We sign only CHEAP players.

We get players for cheap. And when they show potential, they go to other teams for big money.

No way we have $500K just sitting around waiting for Christie (or others) like some are suggesting.

We sign only CHEAP players.
You completely missed the point. If money is the main driving force, then he would have gone somewhere else to begin with. He would have gotten a lot more money last year at a number of other schools that had offered him out of HS as well.

An ESPN story on the portal featuring Christie in a photograph. It's one of their subscriber stories which I'm not paying for, but they evidently think there's a decent chance Cam goes in the second round if you read the caption.

You completely missed the point. If money is the main driving force, then he would have gone somewhere else to begin with. He would have gotten a lot more money last year at a number of other schools that had offered him out of HS as well.
Christie was a cheap recruit.

I said this before and I will say it again. The NIL is an unregulated disaster and is only going to lead to a very boring CBB experience. Love that these athletes are getting paid, but it disincentives so many thing: education being the main thing. The next one is for programs like ours: improving a player will trend towards them leaving the program for $ if we do not have the funds that other teams do. Our coach did a great job with a host of players, only to see them chase money down (which they should), but this is inevitable unless we can garner the amount of money to pay players.

I will say that this has been an inherent part of CBB for a while. Players tended to go to successful programs that would get them into the NBA over ours, but this puts us in an even worse spot now because it is monetized and we simply do not have the bandwidth to compete with more prosperous programs.

He could have gotten more money elsewhere last season.
He wasn't worth anything last year.

Borderline Top-150 high school recruits don't command money. The paying programs let them develop at places like Minnesota for a year or 2.

I said this before and I will say it again. The NIL is an unregulated disaster and is only going to lead to a very boring CBB experience. Love that these athletes are getting paid, but it disincentives so many thing: education being the main thing. The next one is for programs like ours: improving a player will trend towards them leaving the program for $ if we do not have the funds that other teams do. Our coach did a great job with a host of players, only to see them chase money down (which they should), but this is inevitable unless we can garner the amount of money to pay players.

I will say that this has been an inherent part of CBB for a while. Players tended to go to successful programs that would get them into the NBA over ours, but this puts us in an even worse spot now because it is monetized and we simply do not have the bandwidth to compete with more prosperous programs.
If you love that the players are getting paid (like everyone here feels the need to say)...then you're on-board with turning college basketball into a TOTAL JOKE.

Borderline Top-150 high school recruits don't command money. The paying programs let them develop at places like Minnesota for a year or 2.
84th ranked recruit according to 247. Had offers from Illinois, Michigan St, Ohio St, Missouri, Purdue, USC and Virginia. Most, if not all, would be considered "paying programs". He absolutely could have gotten more money out of HS if he went elsewhere. Not top dollars but absolutely more.

84th ranked recruit according to 247. Had offers from Illinois, Michigan St, Ohio St, Missouri, Purdue, USC and Virginia. Most, if not all, would be considered "paying programs". He absolutely could have gotten more money out of HS if he went elsewhere. Not top dollars but absolutely more.
Okay, let's say he's #84.

He's not getting paid as a freshman.

Until we get some of these basic facts and common-sense down...no wonder we can't agree on anything in here.

Well said, I think at that point just save the $500k for next year?

No way. The coach's team has to perform well enough for him to get a 5th year. Whatever was earmarked or planned for Payne, Hawkins, and Christie has to be spent on the best players he can get. He's only going to get a couple more at most anyway (there are now 10 players in place for next season). Most of the roster will be gone after next season and that should free up a lot of funds.

If it was anyone but a school like the U I would agree with you but there is zero chance DTA or the U would low ball him. He would know that info before he withdrew.

I get your point though :)

Since he is focused on preparing for the draft, I assume he has withdrawn from all his spring semester classes.
Would the U allow him back academically?

Since he is focused on preparing for the draft, I assume he has withdrawn from all his spring semester classes.
Would the U allow him back academically?

I think the earliest NBA draft related camp opens on May 10th and the official one opens May 12th. I believe that the U of M's exams end May 8th so he should have time if he wants to complete the semester. Plus, almost anything can be done online these days.

You know this how? Ah to be self assured but always be proven wrong must be your kink.

Okay, let's say he's #84.

He's not getting paid as a freshman.

Until we get some of these basic facts and common-sense down...no wonder we can't agree on anything in here.
You really must be MPLSGopher only he gets proven wrong, pivots, acts like he was right and just expects people to accept it.

Doogie said yesterday that Cam's NBA feedback has been "lukewarm" so there's a decent chance he will play college basketball next year. It just won't be at Minnesota.

You really must be MPLSGopher only he gets proven wrong, pivots, acts like he was right and just expects people to accept it.
I'm not talking about lunch money or a small team stipend.

The #84 rated high school recruit isn't going to get paid in his first year. If they develop and show potential...then they go for the money.

Until we get theses basic facts and common-sense down...no wonder we can't agree on anything in here.

Top Bottom