Call Him What You Will, Damian Johnson has Emerged as a Leader and Star during Career

Great interview Jake...thanks for putting this together.

In light of the recent news around these parts, I thought this was well-timed. Hopefully DJ can provide immediate mentoring to Royce:

GH: How do you feel like you’ve changed, maybe as a person or a player, during your time here at Minnesota?

DJ: I feel like I’ve matured a lot. My first year I was going through a lot of rough stuff, with off-the-court issues and stuff. Being a freshman, first time getting freedom, I think I grew up a lot. I graduated. I finished by focusing on a lot of school things I wasn’t focusing on at first. That was the biggest thing for me, maturity.

GH: So you’ve already graduated? What did you get your degree in?

DJ: Yeah, I graduated in the spring with a degree in Communications. I’m taking grad classes right now in Sports Management.

Go Gophers!!

Thank you Jake for the Damian interview. The young pups can learn from this. Good luck this Senior Year Damian...Let's gopher the B10 Title and well into the NCAA's.

GO GOPHERS!

I call him my favorite current Gopher. I really appreciate the vast improvement he has made in the last two years. Thanks for the interview.

So far Tubby's players appear to be getting their work done in the classroom. 8 seniors have played for Tubby, and by most accounts all but one have graduated. And that doesn't even count Damian, who has already graduated. Well done Mr. Johnson.

Classy interview of a classy...and funny...guy. Damian deserves so much credit for his contributions to the Gophers, growing from a skinny freshman with a Louisiana drawl to a mature leader with the same Louisiana drawl. Behind him have been his quiet, proud, and very tall parents who have made the long trip from Louisiana many times to watch him, so Senior Night should be an emotional one for DJ. Here's hoping this season exceeds expectations.

Thanks for giving us something positive on such a dark day.

Thanks for giving us something positive on such a dark day.

Seriously - your timing could not have been more perfect, Jake. Great interview! It's been wonderful to see Damian grow to be, the best defender our team and possibly, the best player.

As far as the tough things he went through, I'm pretty sure his family was effected by Hurrican Katrina -I can't imagine what it was like to go through that, and still keep his focus on and off the court, he should be commended for that!

Top Bottom