Caledonia native Eli King in portal from Iowa State

So you think Johnson will add 4-5 guys that can help right away, plus play JOJ, Payne, Carrington, Fox, Ihnen, Garcia and Christie? Thats a lot of guys to play.

As I said to someone else: What I should have said is that I'd take King over anyone else Johnson gets from the portal instead of him because there is a higher likelihood (in my mind) that King becomes a usable player than the other option. And thats just based on what BenJo has accomplished (failed?) in the portal
But we have no idea what the other options are. At this stage of portal recruiting, he has to focus on guys he believes can contribute immediately and are experienced. I have no idea if he can contribute immediately, but playing 30 minutes in a season means he is not experienced. I’m a fan of DJ but his words tell us Eli is developmental and not ready to contribute now. That makes him a low priority recruit.

The only reason Ihnen would be bad is if he is not healthy. Nobody in the program has more potential. I don't recall your thoughts on Henley but Henley had the most potential of the freshmen...neither played consistent in their time with the Gophers but they both have a huge upside.
Henley has potential, but I don't think he has more than Payne for sure, and Ola-Joseph has a ton of athletic ability and a greater willingness to guard and be part of a team than Henley. Carrington a much better natural shooter, more willing defender, but needs to stay healthy. Henley potential - I see as 3 of the 4.

But we have no idea what the other options are. At this stage of portal recruiting, he has to focus on guys he believes can contribute immediately and are experienced. I have no idea if he can contribute immediately, but playing 30 minutes in a season means he is not experienced. I’m a fan of DJ but his words tell us Eli is developmental and not ready to contribute now. That makes him a low priority recruit.
Help me out. Who’s DJ?

We know Ihnen is bad.
You don't see that Ihnen has some talent that can help a team, including being able to guard 3-4 positions? You've been into their previous practices and seen him play up close? We all know that nobody knows how he'll respond to the surgeries, but to "know" he's bad? It may be possible that you're in the camp of some other people I know here, who are "often wrong but never in doubt."

If that’s the case we shouldn’t take, but then he will probably not be a P5 player.

Why run Ihnen and Fox off? Outside of 5 games (two knees ago) in his freshmen year, Ihnen was garbage…most likely to still be garbage. Fox was a player who played D2 and was known for his explosiveness…what happens when you have two knee injuries…?
Wetty, Ihnen is garbage? Really? Run them off? Really? I just shake my head.

Henley has potential, but I don't think he has more than Payne for sure, and Ola-Joseph has a ton of athletic ability and a greater willingness to guard and be part of a team than Henley. Carrington a much better natural shooter, more willing defender, but needs to stay healthy. Henley potential - I see as 3 of the 4.
I think Henley's willingness to guard and length for a wing were his biggest assets. I know some people disagree, but I think Henley will be an elite defensive wing as soon as next year.

Unless you can see the future and know exactly how this portal period is going to play out I'm not sure how you can say for sure that Johnson won't be able to find anyone better.

I spent the first half of my life without the internet. Since then, the internet has opened my eyes to the prevalence of a long list of human behaviors. I did not realize in my younger days how many people have great confidence in their abilities to predict the future. I think the key to maintaining this confidence is a very poor memory of one's prior bad predictions.

People say things like this on the net because this kind of language gets attention. You've just demonstrated that. Just like there is "no such thing as bad publicity" there is "no such thing as bad attention" for some.

I spent the first half of my life without the internet. Since then, the internet has opened my eyes to the prevalence of a long list of human behaviors. I did not realize in my younger days how many people have great confidence in their abilities to predict the future. I think the key to maintaining this confidence is a very poor memory of one's prior bad predictions.
Yeah, remember Payne was going to leave after this year?

You don't see that Ihnen has some talent that can help a team, including being able to guard 3-4 positions? You've been into their previous practices and seen him play up close? We all know that nobody knows how he'll respond to the surgeries, but to "know" he's bad? It may be possible that you're in the camp of some other people I know here, who are "often wrong but never in doubt."
2 blown out knees..we have 0 clue what he can do now

There’s also news today that the NCAA is getting stricter about granting waivers to players transferring a second (or more) time. That may make underclassmen, like King, be more cautious about heading to a program where the coach is in danger of being relieved. OTOH, I don’t see the NCAA being able to enforce their desired rules without legal challenges, and they’ll cave.

I agree with you. It's pointless to have rules that you either can't or won't enforce. If they're not going to enforce their own rules then they should just let everyone who wants to transfer do so with immediate eligibility. I hope they do make an effort to enforce their rules but I won't hold my breath.

I think Henley's willingness to guard and length for a wing were his biggest assets. I know some people disagree, but I think Henley will be an elite defensive wing as soon as next year.
You saw something i didn’t. I saw a player who doesn’t guard on ball well at all, doesn’t see the floor well defensively, loses his man consistently, and just doesn’t work hard on defense. I don’t see anything in him that is elite on that end of the floor.

I don't disagree with your analysis but substitute "ceiling or NBA contract" for potential.
That's where I'm coming from. Payne can be a great Gopher but has pretty much no NBA future.
He can be Illinois Cockburn good if Ben puts him on the block.

Again, I said many times Ola Joseph was the most effective of the freshmen...can be a great piece on a team but he needs better teammates to win. NBA future is just as a junk yard dog type and to do that he needs to learn how to pursue loose balls and rebounds at a much higher number ala Rodman.

Carrington has a long way to go. Shot doesn't go in, not a ball handler and willing but no where near tenacious defender. Not a guy who hunts shots.....complimentary player ceiling.

Henley has the length and quickness to defend at an elite level...other 3 don't.
Henley can refine his shooting stroke - can be best shooter of group- able to find and create shots- but where he is unique to the other is his willingness, mindset and ability to get to the rim. Wants to run, play fast. Think Scottie Pippen...potentially same ceiling, same game. The other 3 can't be elite ceiling wise - or say NBA guys.

All 4 could be all conference college players. Nice recruits for sure. Just need 8 more with Betts and Christie. Tough build when foundation guys leave and portal additions are only average to just good.

You saw something i didn’t. I saw a player who doesn’t guard on ball well at all, doesn’t see the floor well defensively, loses his man consistently, and just doesn’t work hard on defense. I don’t see anything in him that is elite on that end of the floor.
Yeah, I think we have butted heads on this before. I thought he was really good (at times) on the ball and that when he worked hard he was really pesky.

I thought he struggled off the ball, which is normal for freshman. I also thought he was hit and miss on effort. When the effort was low, he wasn't very good. Towards the end of the year, I thought his defense was impressive.

.925 composite on 247 who we wanted out of HS. Position of need. Should be right in Johnson's wheel house.

Meantime we're battling CSU Fullerton and Austin Fucking Peay for a Quinnipiac transfer.

Yeah. I care.

Well, the Quinnipiac transfer has actually done something in college (second team all Metro Atlantic), will be 22 or 23 next season, and would only play one year. Meanwhile, the kid with the .925 composite played a total of 30 minutes and was one of the last two players off the bench (the other was a walk on) and will still be young and probably raw next season..

Penn State and Rutgers should have taught you that mature transfers who have accomplished something at a lower level are capable of performing well at this level but you might be one of those uneducable types.

Well, the Quinnipiac transfer has actually done something in college (second team all Metro Atlantic), will be 22 or 23 next season, and would only play one year. Meanwhile, the kid with the .925 composite played a total of 30 minutes and was one of the last two players off the bench (the other was a walk on) and will still be young and probably raw next season..

Penn State and Rutgers should have taught you that mature transfers who have accomplished something at a lower level are capable of performing well at this level but you might be one of those uneducable types.
Must. Defend. Johnson. At. All. Costs.

Yeah, We can only hope he's as good as the Samuels commit you were gaga over this time last year. Quinnipiac is no Dartmouth, but what the hey:

Must. Defend. Johnson. At. All. Costs.
How is expressing a preference towards an experienced guard vs. an unproven one defending Johnson?

If the team is going to get better quickly it isn't going to be with project players..

Of course the really silly part about this whole thread is that people are assuming the Gophers have no interest based on the dad's comment when the reality is that we have no clue what has happened since then or if there is any mutual interest coming from the player.

Maybe Johnson wants King but King has made it clear he doesn't want to go somewhere to be a backup....

Yeah, We can only hope he's as good as the Samuels commit you were gaga over this time last year. Quinnipiac is no Dartmouth, but what the hey:

I looked at that thread. I said he was an important addition as a backup point guard. That was true to the extent that we needed one and I didn't know that much about him.

So now you're looking through past threads to uncover my previous comments? Are you obsessed with me? Get a life, loser! I can assure you that I wouldn't spend a minute looking up anything about you.

Remember, to get better we need to fill those scholarships with players as good (and hopefully better) as the three starters who left. Replacing them with like ability gets us to 2 wins. Then the 4th and 5th guys are hopefully significantly better and we'd hopefully be a bit better.
Without the three starters it is starting over pretty much and you gotta get the right guys who fit and can play together too. Not just 5 guys. Tough task....especially with expectations year 3 has to be our best but the only way that happens is to hit a home run on 5 new guys??? Not good odds.
And you have zero guards unless you count Carrington who isn't what I'd call a building block.
Yes, Christie will help and he's new so that's an unknown.
You need 3 good guards...one we should be able to do? Right? Now, convince the other two how it'll all fit together and work and add Cooper, Battle top 50 kinda talent from the portal without much NIL $ to get to even neighborhood. Tough sell to join up with guys leaving from two last place finishes..
It isn't just needing to find direct replacements for the guys that left from the portal. Things are going to change and develop with the players that are back as well. They aren't going to be exactly the same as they were this past season next season.

Payne, JOJ, and Carrington all have the potential to be significantly better as sophomores. Betts, Fox, Ihnen, and Christie are wild cards who could provide a boost (we can guess but none of us know what any of them will provide till we see them on the court). And then there is Garcia who played really well overall and was clearly our best player late in the year.

If even just 2 of the 4 wildcards pan out the roster looks a whole lot different before you even add guys from the portal.

Yeah, these stats are really good. I’m shaking my head at you for thinking they are good.

09196030-3613-4D85-9745-927E052693BC.jpeg609608E2-8154-4A05-AD58-5313CEF49D82.jpegB0B2E871-D053-44F4-B1F8-6A23512E1FCB.jpeg

Attachments

• 09196030-3613-4D85-9745-927E052693BC.jpeg
    09196030-3613-4D85-9745-927E052693BC.jpeg
    495.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Before he got hurt, Ben said he was the most impressive player on the team (so something to that effect).....but I'll take some keyboard warriors scouting over that.
We saw with our eyes for two years. We also know CBJ is a historically bad coach who happens to think Ihnen can now play SG.

Top Bottom