Bryan Allen: An outspoken leader for Illinois State.

akoch6767

Reaction score
Watching the game today on CBS and I hear the name Bryant Allen, a Gopher transfer who was overlooked in the program. Allen is now a leader for the Illinois State Redbirds squad who is vying to make an appearance in the NCAA tournament. Allen has taken over the role as the guy who sparks the team, and is going to be the future of the basketball program in the areas of playing smart, and making his teammates a lot better.

The point is that, tell me if I am over analyzing the play of Allen, the Gophers really missed out. Allen could have been vital in our back-court this season. His leadership on a team with no leaders would have carried the team. It is a shame that Maturi and Smith cannot hold good players at the U. Allen was a homegrown product, but clearly we cannot hit Tubby too hard on recruiting as guys like Allen, Cobbs, Joseph, White are all having great season and carrying their teams. Think we could have all of these guys...including a legitimate team captain in Allen.

Some might argue that Allen plays in a small conference and his play benefits from there, but The Missouri Valley conference has some spectacular teams. Two automatic bids with Wichita State ranked 15, and Creighton ranked 25, and some consideration being given to Illinois State being in regardless of the outcome here today...

So much has gone wrong with this program the past few years...
Why do players excel when they transfer from the U?
Things to consider for Kaler when he decides what to do with Tubby

So much talent in guys like Allen that the U missed out on.

Back up guard for a mid-major school who never had a basketball scholarship with the gophers...

Allen is playing 20 minutes per game this year with the Redbirds...If you are watching the game the announcers talked about his leadership skills for a whole minute or so after he nailed a huge jump shot. Allen is getting a little over 8 ppg. Gophers should have jumped on giving him a scholarship imo...These stats are pretty impressive.
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/illinois-state/bryant-allen.

Allen is playing 20 minutes per game this year with the Redbirds...If you are watching the game the announcers talked about his leadership skills for a whole minute or so after he nailed a huge jump shot. Allen is getting a little over 8 ppg. Gophers should have jumped on giving him a scholarship imo...These stats are pretty impressive.
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/illinois-state/bryant-allen.

They did. WR on the football team if I'm not mistaken. Believe he's from St. Louis.

It's posts like this one that make legitimate criticisms of Tubby lose some luster.

You're over analyzing it.

its hard to compete for playing time starting in december when football is your first priority, not a whole lot too look at here, he wanted to find a program where he would have more pull (in term of his athletic ability against other players on his team) in order to lock up playing time in both sports as he is still playing football at SIU.

its hard to compete for playing time starting in december when football is your first priority, not a whole lot too look at here, he wanted to find a program where he would have more pull (in term of his athletic ability against other players on his team) in order to lock up playing time in both sports as he is still playing football at SIU.

Tubby cut Allen. Didn't give him a chance to compete for time as a sophomore. Tubby at the time probably felt he had too many guards (Nolen, Hoff, Mav, Joseph, Chip, Austin). Not a big deal but running off a non-scholarship player who would give you minutes was probably not the best idea.

Didn't he quit to focus on football?

Yeah, he did. He also transferred right away. There were a lot of rumors about why he went to Illinois State and I have no idea how accurate any of them were.

I think his loss hurt the football team more than the basketball team.

Are we really ripping Tubby for a football Player transferring??? And people say they aren't anti-tubby. Wow.

Tubby cut Allen. Didn't give him a chance to compete for time as a sophomore. Tubby at the time probably felt he had too many guards (Nolen, Hoff, Mav, Joseph, Chip, Austin). Not a big deal but running off a non-scholarship player who would give you minutes was probably not the best idea.

Are you sure about that? That seems kind of bizarre that Tubby would cut a non-scholarship player. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just never heard that.

Are we really ripping Tubby for a football Player transferring??? And people say they aren't anti-tubby. Wow.

I don't believe akoch6767 is part of the Dark Side, he simple didn't know. Allen was recruited fairly heavily and made the rotation at WR as an underclassman. I'm glad he's doing well.

I don't believe akoch6767 is part of the Dark Side, he simple didn't know. Allen was recruited fairly heavily and would have probably made the rotation at WR as an underclassman. I'm glad he's doing well.

Bryant Allen was already playing a ton as a true freshman. He was our punt returner and our third WR in 2010. Despite missing like 4 games, he played quite a bit his SO season(2010) he had 16-202yards, those stats would have made him our second most productive WR in 2011. Who knows what would have happened, but he would have had the inside track to being a starting WR last season.

I doubt we win one more game with him on the roster. The other transfers? I think Joseph,White or Cobbs get us three,four more wins each by themselves. All three were right there with OSU and Mich State.

I doubt we win one more game with him on the roster. The other transfers? I think Joseph,White or Cobbs get us three,four more wins each by themselves. All three were right there with OSU and Mich State.

Don't forget Colt's transfer. People can say what they like about Colt, but we could have used his toughness under the basket this year. He'd have been our physical player by far.

I knew Allen was recruited for football. I did not specify that in the post. The reason why he left I do not know, so if anybody could enlighten me that would be great :)

Secondly, I actually want to bring a positive towards Tubby. The players that have transferred are making huge strides for their respected teams in all categories. This may show that Tubby can get the best out of smaller 2 or 3 star recruits...The problem lies within Tubby's personality and inability to keep his recruits happy with his coaching style.

Sure, the team has been in a majority of the games this season, but there are times when it is evident Tubby has clearly lost this team, his inability to draw up the right plays at the end of the game corresponds with our good players who want the ball like Welch and Williams experiencing frustration.

Sure, Maturi is also to blame more than Tubby due to his wack policies regarding players getting disciplined, and inability to provide a good practice facility these recruits deserve for coming to play for the U. This creates an unfriendly atmosphere where the recruits who were promised that they would feel at home, and improve their abilities in basketball under legendary coach Smith, were lied to and decide they want to bail in their sophomore or junior seasons when they realized this wasn't home, and Smith was incapable of making them any better for some reason, maybe mostly due to Maturi's policies. They then transfer and all have breakout season that make a positive impact for their team.

Look at the stats of Cobbs, Joseph, Colt and Allen and tell me I am wrong. Cobbs and Joseph are doing this in a major conference. Plus Royce White, who is everything to Iowa State. I feel that he also would have bailed on the U regardless.

Look at the stats of Cobbs, Joseph, Colt and Allen and tell me I am wrong. Cobbs and Joseph are doing this in a major conference. Plus Royce White, who is everything to Iowa State. I feel that he also would have bailed on the U regardless.

Cobbs and Joseph...no question.

Colt? Who knows? He hasn't accumulated any stats. He is sitting out this season to transfer.
Allen? Eh, he's been alright. If we gave him a scholarship that would have been Welch's offer. Welch has been better this season (more points, assists, rebs, in a better conference).

Bryant Allen transferring hurt our football team and it would have been nice to keep him on the basketball team as a walk-on, as a scholarship player, Welch is better.

You're right on Welch. I just thought maybe Mav would have been dismissed. I hate to say that, but Mav in my opinion would much more benefit playing for a smaller school that here in the Big 10. The football team dearly needs the athleticism Allen possesses.

Maverick came to the U in 2010, Bryant Allen was still here on a football scholly.

But yeah, he would have helped our football team a lot.

Mr. Fair Catch is performing well in hoops, but he just wasn't going to crack the rotation. (notice how mav's minutes ahve dwindled significantly, but then perked up with Welch out.

I thought Bryant Allen left because he wanted to be closer to his family AKA he knocked up his girl?

I knew Allen was recruited for football. I did not specify that in the post. The reason why he left I do not know, so if anybody could enlighten me that would be great :)

Secondly, I actually want to bring a positive towards Tubby. The players that have transferred are making huge strides for their respected teams in all categories. This may show that Tubby can get the best out of smaller 2 or 3 star recruits...The problem lies within Tubby's personality and inability to keep his recruits happy with his coaching style.

Sure, the team has been in a majority of the games this season, but there are times when it is evident Tubby has clearly lost this team, his inability to draw up the right plays at the end of the game corresponds with our good players who want the ball like Welch and Williams experiencing frustration.

Sure, Maturi is also to blame more than Tubby due to his wack policies regarding players getting disciplined, and inability to provide a good practice facility these recruits deserve for coming to play for the U. This creates an unfriendly atmosphere where the recruits who were promised that they would feel at home, and improve their abilities in basketball under legendary coach Smith, were lied to and decide they want to bail in their sophomore or junior seasons when they realized this wasn't home, and Smith was incapable of making them any better for some reason, maybe mostly due to Maturi's policies. They then transfer and all have breakout season that make a positive impact for their team.

You realize Royce's departure had nothing to do with Tubby right? He was person of interest in a felony case & suspended by Maturi (with good reason btw!) while the investigation went on. Instead of toughing it out, he quit. Hardly on Tubby, or even Maturi.

You're right on Welch. I just thought maybe Mav would have been dismissed. I hate to say that, but Mav in my opinion would much more benefit playing for a smaller school that here in the Big 10. The football team dearly needs the athleticism Allen possesses.

When have we ever dismissed a player for lack of talent? For that matter when has any B1G school ever done that?

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but yours sucks. You can't even spell Bryant Allen's name right. You thought he was a scholarship basketball player. You thought he was homegrown player. You thought Tubby ran off Royce White. etc etc. Stop posting, start reading, my .02

Top Bottom