Brosmer

He is legit. He is a better QB than what we had.

Our OL is terrible this year.

You give him some time to pass and he is legit.

With a good OL and an OC that wasn't afraid to be aggressive and he is really really good.

Too bad we have an OC that goes conservative until it's too late and our OL.is the worst I have seen in a decade.
Couldn't agree more.. I haven't seen an OL here this bad since Brew.
And I know it's a beaten horse, but someone will have to explain it to me like i'm a 4 year old why Harbaugh is the OC over Simon...

And I know it's a beaten horse, but someone will have to explain it to me like i'm a 4 year old why Harbaugh is the OC over Simon...
I don't know if Simon has ever really proven he'd be better. People here seem to really like him, but other than that I don't know why he'd be the #1 candidate. If we decide to replace Harbaugh I hope we do a national search and find an up-and-comer like Hetherman.

Brosmer currently 7th in the Big Ten in completion percentage, which if you consider strength of defenses played (and the performance of our O-line) compared to the others, is pretty impressive.

Brosmer currently 7th in the Big Ten in completion percentage, which if you consider strength of defenses played (and the performance of our O-line) compared to the others, is pretty impressive.
And 12th in rating

Lotta B1G QBs putting up gaudy stats so far but now schit gets real in conference. Brosmer had an incredible game considering he was under massive pressure all day, playing from behind, has no run game, and the receivers aren’t world beaters outside of Jackson. Might start to see some goatees at games if it holds up

I don't know if Simon has ever really proven he'd be better. People here seem to really like him, but other than that I don't know why he'd be the #1 candidate. If we decide to replace Harbaugh I hope we do a national search and find an up-and-comer like Hetherman.
Dude called the game that beat Auburn, who had like 7 defensive guys drafted, a number of them in the first round. He's cut from the Ciarrocca cloth, the only offense in the PJ era that's been worth a damn.

And then went on to say he’s not good.
I believe I said, he’s not that good in response to someone else post. But regardless, I don’t think he’s that good, he’s solid. Better than AK.

Which to me is surprising.

I thought we had a great OL system in place. We had good upperclassmen, mixed in with young up and comers who gained experience to take over for graduates, rinse & repeat.

We've had a solid OL for most of Fleck's years, right? Why the drop off?

I thought we had a great OL system in place. We had good upperclassmen, mixed in with young up and comers who gained experience to take over for graduates, rinse & repeat.

How do we know if we’ve ever had a good pass protection line? We’ve never been throw to run.

I find this confusing too. We could create 200 yard rushing games with a fifth string running back and all of a sudden the line is hot garbage. It's shouldn't be a personnel issue since we have a lot of returning experience. Wtf happened?

Lotta B1G QBs putting up gaudy stats so far but now schit gets real in conference. Brosmer had an incredible game considering he was under massive pressure all day, playing from behind, has no run game, and the receivers aren’t world beaters outside of Jackson. Might start to see some goatees at games if it holds up
Brosmer’s first two B1G games were a baptism of fire against Iowa and Michigan—both great, extremely talented defenses. They bottled up our running game and pressured the QB rushing only 4, leaving 7 in coverage. Brosmer’s path might get easier as season goes on. PSU defense might be as tough as IA/MI, and maybe USC’s front 7. But he’ll definitely see some lesser defenses going forward.

So, we are 2 and 3. We got # 11 USC at home. If you don't win that do you play Lindsey the last 6 games to build for next year?
We also have #24 Illinois and #7 Penn State. You need to beat one of the 3 to get to 6. Is that happening?
Six wins, providing we could beat Wisconsin on the road and Rutgers on the road...who are 4 and 0. Maryland at home we might be favored, UCLA on the road maybe. Win those two, we are at 4 wins...where we getting the other two? Beat USC and we got a path to 6 wins...go for it.

But, maybe Lindsey is better? I'd like the team to be better next year...not hoping to wait for the following year... two years from now to maybe be better. What if Lindsey is not the guy...rather know now than mid season next year.

And if Lindsey was good, maybe some receivers will enroll. Not knowing the answer makes that tougher to accomplish.

Maybe he can get some NIL money from Captain Morgan.

So, we are 2 and 3. We got # 11 USC at home. If you don't win that do you play Lindsey the last 6 games to build for next year?
We also have #24 Illinois and #7 Penn State. You need to beat one of the 3 to get to 6. Is that happening?
Six wins, providing we could beat Wisconsin on the road and Rutgers on the road...who are 4 and 0. Maryland at home we might be favored, UCLA on the road maybe. Win those two, we are at 4 wins...where we getting the other two? Beat USC and we got a path to 6 wins...go for it.

But, maybe Lindsey is better? I'd like the team to be better next year...not hoping to wait for the following year... two years from now to maybe be better. What if Lindsey is not the guy...rather know now than mid season next year.

And if Lindsey was good, maybe some receivers will enroll. Not knowing the answer makes that tougher to accomplish.

It’s called coaching. Defense have improved. Our offensive line play has remained stagnant..

One thing I've noticed is that Fleck has taken only one offensive lineman from the transfer portal since Chuck Filiaga committed in 2022. He took none in 2023 and only the massive guy from UTEP in 2024. So, we seem to be relying almost completely on internal development for these positions lately and that's not working so well right now. That's a big contrast with the recruiting of defensive backs where he's used the transfer portal more heavily in recent years to acquire more mature players who had accomplished records at lower levels.

You play the guy who's currently the best player, plain and simple. Every game counts.

I find this confusing too. We could create 200 yard rushing games with a fifth string running back and all of a sudden the line is hot garbage. It's shouldn't be a personnel issue since we have a lot of returning experience. Wtf happened?

I wouldn't call them hot garbage as the blocking is actually mid-pack in conference per PFF but they've had some frustrating issues. It is a downgrade from 2022-21 when they had two experienced future NFL starters playing at the same time (Faalele and Schmitz). Ersery could be an NFL starter but has had ups and downs this year. Cooper is playing well at the G position. Johnson has potential but might have been thrown into the fire a bit early (a portal/NIL era factor?). I'm wondering how much the QB change and offensive change to more passing has brought some learning curve.

I wouldn't call them hot garbage as the blocking is actually mid-pack in conference per PFF but they've had some frustrating issues. It is a downgrade from 2022-21 when they had two experienced future NFL starters playing at the same time (Faalele and Schmitz). Ersery could be an NFL starter but has had ups and downs this year. Cooper is playing well at the G position. Johnson has potential but might have been thrown into the fire a bit early (a portal/NIL era factor?). I'm wondering how much the QB change and offensive change to more passing has brought some learning curve.
I was making the point comparatively, but I do appreciate your response. I find it hard to understand how a change of qb or scheme would have that much of an impact on the one thing you've traditionally been really good at. I could see it if their ability to pass block wasnt great, but that hasn't seemed to be the problem. How do you become essentially inept at run blocking when it's been your bread and butter for years?

I was making the point comparatively, but I do appreciate your response. I find it hard to understand how a change of qb or scheme would have that much of an impact on the one thing you've traditionally been really good at. I could see it if their ability to pass block wasnt great, but that hasn't seemed to be the problem. How do you become essentially inept at run blocking when it's been your bread and butter for years?

Just speculating, but... In recent years, the Gophs had a pretty simple zone blocking scheme on running and often kept the TEs actively involved in blocking which also limited pass options. If they changed the blocking at all from zone to more gap/trap schemes or removed the TE in favor of more receivers, that all could impact the run blocking. Also throw in a green starting center and that a new QB with his own cadence is barking out signals and taking more snaps from under center (could be some of the false start issues). Again, I'm only speculating and could be talking out my ass...but I'm not going to break down film to prove it.

You play the guy who's currently the best player, plain and simple. Every game counts.
Yeah, there is no tanking for a draft pick or anything like that. You go out and try to win every game regardless of your record and to do that you play the QB that gives you the best chance to win. Seems highly likely that is going to be the very experienced Brosmer as opposed to the true freshman.

If Lindsay is smart he is learning everything he can from Max, and developing in practice. Ideally they will have some opportunities to get Drake some game reps but you certainly don't force it.

Now if they legit hit a point later in the season where the record is in the tank and they believe Lindsey would be just as good or better then Brosmer, then at that point it would be silly not to play him since Brosmer won't be around next year.

Yeah, there is no tanking for a draft pick or anything like that. You go out and try to win every game regardless of your record and to do that you play the QB that gives you the best chance to win. Seems highly likely that is going to be the very experienced Brosmer as opposed to the true freshman.

If Lindsay is smart he is learning everything he can from Max, and developing in practice. Ideally they will have some opportunities to get Drake some game reps but you certainly don't force it.

Now if they legit hit a point later in the season where the record is in the tank and they believe Lindsey would be just as good or better then Brosmer, then at that point it would be silly not to play him since Brosmer won't be around next year.
I agree. If the season is lost and even a bowl game is out at some point, then let Lindsey get some run if he's any good. It would make recruiting receivers easier if you can show a semi-competent passing game with a young quarterback that should be around for a while.

I agree. If the season is lost and even a bowl game is out at some point, then let Lindsey get some run if he's any good. It would make recruiting receivers easier if you can show a semi-competent passing game with a young quarterback that should be around for a while.
The only gripe I have with this is if he gets an injury that lasts into next season. Is the juice worth the squeeze on a lost season where the offensive line has proven to be a liability at times

Just speculating, but... In recent years, the Gophs had a pretty simple zone blocking scheme on running and often kept the TEs actively involved in blocking which also limited pass options. If they changed the blocking at all from zone to more gap/trap schemes or removed the TE in favor of more receivers, that all could impact the run blocking. Also throw in a green starting center and that a new QB with his own cadence is barking out signals and taking more snaps from under center (could be some of the false start issues). Again, I'm only speculating and could be talking out my ass...but I'm not going to break down film to prove it.
Playing OL is not rocket science.

Yep that’s fair. Morgan had a great year in 2019 but the rest of his career he was average. I’d probably take Brosmer over him
From what I have seen of Brosmer, he's a more consistent passer. Morgan would have games where he was insanely accurate, but then drop off for a couple of weeks.

Top Bottom