Brockington Commits!

I think CAB has some talent but what is it in him that makes people think he's going to go from a guy who had 371 yards last year to a guy who's going to be leaving early for the NFL? Again I like CAB but I can't think of a player in recent memory who got so much hype relative to their level of production.

That said, I do realize he was the third option behind 2 NFL WR and I expect a good uptick in his numbers this year, but I'd like to see it before I believe it, outside of a few highlight reel plays he has made in his first two years.

It's just optimism. I know, scarce thing around here but i can't help it with him. He's so good at body positioning in regards to guarding the ball from the opposing DB. He's shown nifty moves to cut across a short field (thinking of the TD vs Purdue) and has generally good vision for the endzone. He did have 1-2 drops in the second half of the season that were unfortunate, but so did Ty. If we have somebody that can beat him out for the #2, Gophers are going to be a SCARY good team.

Remember when beating out Tennessee and the U of Miami for an out of state recruit would have been the highlight of the whole recruiting class? This board would have been in a frenzy. Of course some idiot would have brought up star ranking and how they don't matter and we would have spent 10 pages arguing about that for the fourth time this year. Now I have to admit while I am excited to get this commit and trust in PJ, I am a little disappointed the commit wasn't rated higher with a better offer list. I love how times are a changing.

Remember when beating out Tennessee and the U of Miami for an out of state recruit would have been the highlight of the whole recruiting class? This board would have been in a frenzy. Of course some idiot would have brought up star ranking and how they don't matter and we would have spent 10 pages arguing about that for the fourth time this year. Now I have to admit while I am excited to get this commit and trust in PJ, I am a little disappointed the commit wasn't rated higher with a better offer list. I love how times are a changing.

I have to think there are SEC schools wishing they'd gotten involved earlier. They have to hate the idea of PJ poaching from their backyard! It'll be interesting to see where his offer list/star rating end up before it's all said and done.

Brockington is Flecks 3rd highest rated WR since he has been here...behind only Batemon & Jackson...lets not get ahead of ourselves with getting disappointed in this guy!

I think at this point we can trust Fleck to identify good WRs regardless of stars and offers, but I’m actually impressed with this kid’s offer list and rating personally.

I agree with the first part of your post. Prior to Fleck we didn't beat out Power 5 schools for recruits nearly as often as we do these days.

But I disagree with the part about being a little disappointed that Brockington isn't rated higher or with a better offer list. I count at least 10 power five offers on his profile with 2 of them being from other Big Ten schools. Nothing to be disappointed in there.

You live in Bainbridge?? I used to cover them when I worked for the nearby bigger city paper. I remember writing stories on Nick Williams (who went on to play at UGA) from there.
Yes, I live in Bainbridge. Proudly wear my Gopher gear in the midst of all the FSU, UGA and UF fans. What paper did you write for? Albany Herald?

Yes, I live in Bainbridge. Proudly wear my Gopher gear in the midst of all the FSU, UGA and UF fans. What paper did you write for? Albany Herald?

Yep, that's the one. Covered UGA back in the Stafford/Moreno days and lots of area HS football. From the looks of it, their sports section has kind of gone downhill in the past 10-15 years. I moved diwn there because it was an opportunity to cover big-time SEC/ACC football (Auburn, GT and UGA). Got to a lot of amazing stadiums and games in my time.

Yep, that's the one. Covered UGA back in the Stafford/Moreno days and lots of area HS football. From the looks of it, their sports section has kind of gone downhill in the past 10-15 years. I moved diwn there because it was an opportunity to cover big-time SEC/ACC football (Auburn, GT and UGA). Got to a lot of amazing stadiums and games in my time.
GT is big time? :sneaky:

GT is big time? :sneaky:

The ACC was a more evenly-balanced conference in the 2000s. FSU and VTech were still powers. Georgia Tech was pretty solid when they had Calvin Johnson and Reggie Ball. So there were some good matchups to cover.

The ACC was a more evenly-balanced conference in the 2000s. FSU and VTech were still powers. Georgia Tech was pretty solid when they had Calvin Johnson and Reggie Ball. So there were some good matchups to cover.
Yes, I remember Calvin Johnson. That was like, 2006?

I know they hired Paul Johnson and had that one year where it was GT vs Wake .... of all teams ... as the ACC champ matchup. And people thought of that as the pits for the ACC, like it was going to be raided and downgraded to the American Conf.

Don't get me wrong, GT is a big time (non-medical) research school. Like Cal Tech of the south. It's a bunch of computer nerds.

I'm trying to think what would be a good comparison for them in other P5 confs. Maybe the best would be Illinois, again a bunch of computer nerds, no medical.

If he doesn't stay at WR, I would predict S. The Gophers are after a number of OLB.s who are highly-rated prospects and who are bigger than Dino.

Dino would be a good sized safety, and he appears to be pretty athletic. Can’t hurt to have some depth and choice back there.

My excitement for Gopher Football is 2x as high as last year. I am predicting continued exponential growth for my excitement in the coming years.

It's just optimism. I know, scarce thing around here but i can't help it with him. He's so good at body positioning in regards to guarding the ball from the opposing DB. He's shown nifty moves to cut across a short field (thinking of the TD vs Purdue) and has generally good vision for the endzone. He did have 1-2 drops in the second half of the season that were unfortunate, but so did Ty. If we have somebody that can beat him out for the #2, Gophers are going to be a SCARY good team.
Fair enough. I won't argue it too hard because I'm rooting for him and have no need to bash him as by all accounts he's a good kid. I'll be more than happy to have my skepticism proven wrong!

Top Bottom