Brewster's gotta go

Wouldn't many of them transfer?

I think that is a myth - depends on who they hire. It's inevitable that some kids may leave, but don't you think some of these kids are frustrated to. If the right hire is made, someone that can instill belief right away, they'd be fine.

I wouldn't expect a big-name coach to come here, but I gaurantee some top-flight assistants would be clamoring for the job. For Pete's sake, Missouri's O-Coordinator took the Wyoming job last year! Is this not a better job than Wyoming?

Wasn't Charlie Strong a finalist (Florida's D-Coordinator) before Brew was hired?

An hour ago I was saying fire Brew; now I'm indifferent.

Um, why would Kelly come here? If anybody thinks we're going to be paying anybody 2 mil a year (and he wouldn't leave Cincy for less than 2.5 probably), you're crazy.
We offered Gary Patterson 2 mil a year and he turned it down before Brewster was hired.

That said, there is no chance in hell that Brian Kelly comes here for reasons that have a lot more to do with than just money.

It doesn't matter, Brewster will be back next year.

We offered Gary Patterson 2 mil a year and he turned it down before Brewster was hired.

That said, there is no chance in hell that Brian Kelly comes here for reasons that have a lot more to do with than just money.

It doesn't matter, Brewster will be back next year.

Agreed. I just don't know if the U could offer 2 mil a year right now w/o the help of some serious booster dollars.

The guy doesn't recruit very well but he's doing something right. What if Brewster had his talent. 2 maybe 3 win team?

Even Kirk Ferentz's teams weren't all that good when they were undertalented and/or inexperienced in the trenches. Remember all of the Iowa fans that wanted him gone after his 06/07 seasons?

A VOTE FOR BREWSTER!

They were hanging Murray Warmath in effigy the year before National Championship and Rose Bowl! Everything is in place, Just let Coach Brewster get a couple of more recruiting classes.You cant correct 40+ years of futility instantly.

Even Kirk Ferentz's teams weren't all that good when they were undertalented and/or inexperienced in the trenches. Remember all of the Iowa fans that wanted him gone after his 06/07 seasons?

I remind my Iowa brethren of this all the time.

I suppose. His team this year and us getting blown out by them last year could be making me a little delusional in that regard.

Wow, 22 posts on here and you are the expert and the rest of us are idiots. Thank you for gracing us with your presence!

You're new, so I personally will cut you some slack. A lot of us aren't thinking rationally right now, but people will calm down some later in the week. We're passionate and we want to see the Gophers succeed more than the "average" fan.

no offense but your an idiot too if you think the only people that know football are those who have been on the message boards since they were developed! if we start firing coaches after 2-3 years of disappointment...then we might as well cut the program cause no one will ever want to try to coach here! be rational and patient, I believe changing the gophs program was a 5-6 year job because we didn't have depth when brew arrived! our seniors god bless them aren't very good, and brews recruits really haven't played yet! we are on the right path but you over the top clowns need to calm down...this isn't basketball where 1 player changes a program!

no offense but your an idiot too if you think the only people that know football are those who have been on the message boards since they were developed! if we start firing coaches after 2-3 years of disappointment...then we might as well cut the program cause no one will ever want to try to coach here! be rational and patient, I believe changing the gophs program was a 5-6 year job because we didn't have depth when brew arrived! our seniors god bless them aren't very good, and brews recruits really haven't played yet! we are on the right path but you over the top clowns need to calm down...this isn't basketball where 1 player changes a program!

I'm perfectly calm, but I think somebody else should take his own advise. As "over-the-top" as you are saying everyone else is ("clowns", right?), you're the one that appears to be bouncing off the walls.

22 posts (or is it 24) only indicates to me that you are not familiar with all who post on here. I wasn't referencing your depth of football knowledge (or lack there of - I have no idea). Nor do I believe those who have 1800 posts are football experts.

But I will say that I'm also not a d-bag who is new to posting within a community of as die-hard of Gopher fans as there is and blankets everyone on the site as being an "idiot" and a "clown".

"our seniors god bless them aren't very good, and brews recruits really haven't played yet"

Theret, Lawrence, Simmons, Wills, McKinley, Tinsley, Lair(nice drop today),McKnight(nice drop today) Stoudamire(worst day as a gopher), Cooper, Green, Eskridge, Whaley, Gray, Carpenter, Kirksey, Edwards, and more have all played and are Brew's recruts.

It is interesting to note that there is only one offensive lineman in the above list...it is the worst part of the team and it will take the longest for Brewster's recruits to make an impact there. Most of Brewster's impact recruits have been defensive players, and the defense is not the problem with this team. I thnk it is hard to argue that the younger players on this team are not upgrading the talent (our solid special teams is evidence of this), but they are young and are going to take their lumps.

The next three weeks are going to tell a lot about this coaching staff and this team. Brewster has to settle his team down and focus on discipline and fundamentals.

It is interesting to note that there is only one offensive lineman in the above list...it is the worst part of the team and it will take the longest for Brewster's recruits to make an impact there. Most of Brewster's impact recruits have been defensive players, and the defense is not the problem with this team. I thnk it is hard to argue that the younger players on this team are not upgrading the talent (our solid special teams is evidence of this), but they are young and are going to take their lumps.

The next three weeks are going to tell a lot about this coaching staff and this team. Brewster has to settle his team down and focus on discipline and fundamentals.

I agree.

We should be seeing some progression by now. I understand coaches need time, but seriously, what has Brewster done? This team is a mess.

I am by no means a Mason supporter, but compare his third year with Brewster's: In 1999 Mason led the team to 8 wins, a 5-3 conference record, a massive upset win of #2 Penn State and a #12 ranking. And none of the losses were blow-outs. They were competitive every week and had an established identity.

Now, we all know Mason didn't reach the heights we'd hoped, but the point is after his third year we were confident in his hiring because you could see the progress on the field.

I just don't see that growth from Brewster. The team has no identity and is extremely undisciplined. They've been blown out two weeks in a row, and have exactly ZERO signature wins in three seasons.

Obviously we need to let the season play out, but you can't blame people for being upset with what they're seeing.

Do people honestly not realize we are a better team today than we were back in 2007? And yes, we bottomed out, but the point you made was progress.

2007 our win was Miami....of Ohio LOL

2008, we had wins against NIU, BG, FAU, Montana St., Indiana, Purdue, and Illinois.

2009, our wins so far are against Syracuse, AF, Northwestern, and Purdue (better than last year's Purdue by a LONG shot).

I see a lot of progress considering who we beat our first year, vs. who we beat in '08, vs. who we've beaten so far this year. Just because we've had a couple rough games, doesn't change that fact. We've beaten probably 4 teams this year that I'm not sure we would have beaten last year at all (except Syracuse, but even that one, being on the road wouldn't have been a gimmie). We are a better team, and there's really little question about it. If Weber would play better, we would also look better as well. But I get the feeling his time might be winding up at this point....

when i say progress i mean over the previous regime.

when i say progress i mean over the previous regime.

you are comparing apples to oranges with such a statement. it seems like you are trying to create a false-premise where in some alternate dimension we have the exact same set of players, established starters, returning linemen, etc. and are just saying to coach brewster and former coach mason: "okay let's see who is the better coach between you two". :confused:

You could say he has made progress in terms of talent...its now a matter of turning "talent" into football players. Although the last two games have been extremely frustrating, I have to admit seeing Gray move the team down the field has me still on Brew's side until he is unable to get us to the top 3-4 (min.) with a QB of his ability.

I think overall we are about where we might expect to be at this point in the Brewster regime, especially after the 2007 debacle, but here is my concern about this team: the weaknesses on this team are same ones we had last year--offensive line, rushing game, QB play, and overall lack of discipline. We did not improve in those areas in the offseason and we have seen no improvement over the past eight games, despite very public efforts to the contrary on the part of the coaching staff. This is puzzling to me.

you are comparing apples to oranges with such a statement. it seems like you are trying to create a false-premise where in some alternate dimension we have the exact same set of players, established starters, returning linemen, etc. and are just saying to coach brewster and former coach mason: "okay let's see who is the better coach between you two". :confused:

i don't think that's an unfair comparison to make. otherwise what's the point of ever firing a coach? you'd just be hiring someone to bottom out, slowly climb back to mediocrity, fail to meet expectations, then fire him to start all over again.

The only thing that concerns me is that the look on Brewster's face today was one of "WTF?" I'm not saying he's befuddled or over his head, but it sure looks like he is doubting his ability to get the team to play better. It's the Gutekunst era all over again with all of the ridiculous mental errors.

Yes, Johnny. A lot of Brewster's recruits have played. . .a year or two before they should have had to. I don't know how anyone with half a brain could consider what Mason left behind was anything more than a 3 or 4 win team (at most). Mortenson would have been the QB. Great kid, but had taken probably around 100 snaps in his career. Who would have been the RB? Pinnix, I suppose. But unless Mason is a faith healer, I don't know how Pinnix could have seen any more action than he did given his toe/foot issues. Line was decimated through graduation and the defense would have been as bad as what we currently see.

I'm frustrated too. I want Brewster to succeed, but don't know if he's up to it.

As for Charlie Strong, how many offers to be a head coach has he had since being a finalist here? Speak up. I can't hear you. I guess that silence says something.

I frankly don't know what kind of coach would come here for the job if Brewster would be fired. Clearly, this isn't in the top tier of coaching jobs.

Oh, and great coaching job by Bo Pelini today.

I don't think 3 years is enough to just say, "Well, he's not better than Mason, so screw it, let's fire him". I couldn't care less how good Mason was in his third year. That was probably his best year here, or very close to it (10 win season with Michigan collapse was good). I don't want my coach peaking out in Year 3.

I don't feel like this is as good as it gets with Brewster, so I'm not gonna declare him as not progressing just because he didn't win 8 games his third year, which technically is still possible if we win the three home games plus a bowl game. But that's beside the point.

I was not very impressed listening to ESPN talk about Whaley(?) and the fact he sat out last year with a gun shot to the leg and the fact he is on two-years probation. Didn't make it sound like Minnesota is recruiting very good kids.

It is a toss-up for me as to what to do with Brewster. Whoever thinks Patterson and Kelley would want to come to Minnesota are crazy. Brian Kelley may play for a national championship at a BCS school. My pick would be Kevin Sumlin - former Purdue player and assistant at Minnesota. Done a nice job at Houston in two years. I would also put Turner Gill in the conversation but he might be able to hold out for an even better job.

You guys need to get over yourselves. THIS IS A VERY GOOD STAFF WHO IS DOING A GREAT JOB WITH LIMITED TALENT!!!

1) Brewster: Still doing a great job selling the program; recruiting another top 35 class; has toned down the charisma (as many had hoped); making solid gameday decisions, IMO.

2) Cosgrove & Lee: Some were ready to fire these guys before summer camp! Honestly, how many BT teams would be starting some of the guys we are on D (see Theret & Moen for starters)? The defense has been very stout this year, and I'm seeing a LOT of people consistently in good spots...unfortunately, a lot of them don't have the ability to make plays once there. Our biggest problems on this side of the ball are ones that the coordinators can't do much about: 1) NO athletic ability off the edges to get a pass rush; 2) An offense that leaves them on the field far too long.

3) Fisch: This guy clearly knows what he's doing. While I don't like the idea of switching to a "pro-style" offense, that's the hand he was dealt and he's made the most of it. I'd categorize the play-calling as outstanding in two games (Cal and OSU), good in 4 games (Syracuse, NW, PU, Wisc), and poor in one game (PSU). He's really facing a plethora of obstacles to having a solid offense, including: brand new scheme; an O-Line filled with guys who wouldn't be playing for any BT team; and a stable of RB's...see my comments on "OL." While I"d like to see us operate out of the spread more, I can't fault Fisch for what's going on with the O...he's doing fine.

4) Davis: While I haven't seen much improvement in the O-Line, who here would question Davis's credentials as a big-time O-line coach? He's been involved with several major programs as well as an NFL team. SOLID.

5) Cross: Without a doubt a MAJOR recruiter whom the kids love. Has developed our interior D-line into honestly one of the best in the BT from what I can see. Brown, Small, Edwards, Kirksey, etc are making a MAJOR impact and I have no doubt that Cross is a big reason for it.

I could go on with the other guys, but I'll spare you. Honestly, I can understand people's frustrations with the program as we're all DEEPLY devoted followers who want to see wins. That said, people need to get off the staff--they're doing a great job. Our biggest problem right now is that we don't have the talent and depth to compete with the major programs. This problem is followed closely by the fact that we're working on our 2nd O-coordinator and 3rd D-coordinator in 3 years...hard to get something going.

I would like to first point out the fact that GOPHERKISS is not a gopher fan and comes on here to fan the flames. Anyway... Our two problems are quarterback play and the line..right?? our most up-and coming player IS A QUARTERBACK! and i think we can all agree that we are getting better lineman recruits this year no? So the problems are being fixed.....i like our young talent

Boy, I just can't wait to read Kent Youngblood's blog and see Wren and Loon foaming at the mouth about "this Brewster/GM/Recruiter". (heavy sarcasm now off)

I too am disappointed in the progress that this team has made as far as wins and losses. But I did not expect a New Year's Day bowl game this year. What I DID expect was to see steady improvement and that has failed to materialize. The penalties and other mental errors (i.e. dropped balls) just keep on coming game after game and I think that can be directly attributed to Coaching. I don't want Brew fired, but there needs to be improvement over the final games of this season.

Top Bottom