Bret Bielema showing pure class once again

Here's a Milwaukee Journal blog post with a bit more context than Twitter (only because you all are so classy and all that you wouldn't want to draw judgment from a few misquoted words):

Twitter can be useful and dangerous
By Jeff Potrykus of the Journal Sentinel
Nov. 10, 2011

Madison - It's late and I've got a story to write but it appears I need to clear up a misconception that started on Twitter Thursday afternoon, spread across the Internet and found its way to at least two fan boards (Ohio State and Penn State).

Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema was interviewed on a Madison radio station Thursday morning and was asked about the recent scandals that have hit three Big Ten institutions: Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State.

Here is the full text of Bielema's comments:

"Well, I obviously wasn't well-versed in the situation, but JoePa's done a lot for the game, done a lot for the world of college football... a guy that you can't take away anything that he's done from a football standpoint.

"All that other stuff I'll let other people make decisions on. I think the NCAA's very clear on the NCAA versus... obviously the other things around Coach Sandusky and all that are legal matters and I can't see football or the NCAA getting involved in something like that.

"But you know, I think that this definitely brings a little bit of a cloud to the world of college football and that's the only thing that I always have said along the way. Who in our minds would ever thought, you know, that the three major teams in our conference -- Ohio State, Michigan, and uh, Penn State -- would have these issues.

"But I guess just enjoy and embrace being a Badger fan."

Now here is the tweet, culled from the above comment, that hit the Internet:

"guess it's a good time to be a Badger fan."

Penn State fans, reeling from the news that one of their former coaches (Jerry Sandusky) has been accused of molesting children and seeing their head coach (Joe Paterno) unceremoniously fired, didn't like the snippet at all. They appear to be under the impression he was comparing UW to Penn State alone.

Ohio State fans, who must be a wee bit irritated to learn that the NCAA has issued a "failure to monitor" charge and the football team could be in line for significant sanctions, didn't like the snippet, either. They too thought Bielema was comparing UW to Penn State.

Here is my take:

Not much to see, or hear, in this case.

I've covered Bielema since he arrived at UW in 2004 as the defensive coordinator. He has grown in many ways but he isn't an eloquent public speaker and his words sometimes jumble, which sometimes obscures his message. Most football coaches aren't great speakers, particularly when the topic shifts away from the game.

Bielema was asked again after practice Thursday night about the Penn State situation and Paterno.

He noted people should feel for the families touched by the alleged sexual assaults but his general message was the same as it was in the morning radio interview. That is, any time programs suffer through such scandals it is bad for all of college football.

"Any time anything (bad) happens in the world of college football, " he said, "I think it's bad for everybody."

Bielema stopped there Thursday night.

But having listed to the radio interview and having covered Bielema for more than seven seasons, my interpretation of the last line from his morning comment is this:

"Rather than taking joy in the misfortune of other programs UW fans should celebrate what they have going right now."

That is, a team still in the running for a Division title and a berth in the first Big Ten title game.

I'd love to post that on Twitter but something tells me just one tweet wouldn't tell the whole story.

People (namely, Enema sycophants) just don't get it.

When asked about a sensitive/delicate situation, you don't in any way reference yourself or your own situation. Whether or not it is your intent, you appear to make it all about yourself and how lucky you are to not be in a bad situation.

This is PR 101. Really, it's not rocket science.

I have not taken a poll, though I do find it funny. The amount of venom directed at one person that nobody on this board has met is awesome. I just can't get that worked up over the coach of an opposing team. I guess that's what makes the world go around.

Maybe you all would like him more if he was not 5-0 against the Gophers.

For example, I loved Brewster. Not only was he wildly entertaining, but he was 0-4 against the good guys.

What I find funny is how you and others constantly tell us how irrelevant Minnesota is, yet the second someone posts anything about wisconsin, you come here to "defend" your school/team.

I've said it before, i'll say it again.
BB is the perfect coach for wisconsinites.
He has become the posterboy for the arrogance the sconnie fanbase displays.

He should just tattoo "College football started in 1993" next to his hawkeye.

To badger fans: He's all yours, you defend him, you claim him.
Don't come back in 5 after Chryst and Barry leave/disown him pretending like you never loved him.

Oh please. If concern #1 is "likelihood of playing in the NFL", there are dozens of schools anyone would choose before Wisconsin.

More delusions of grandeur from the Becky fanbase.

Dozens? I respectfully disagree. I can see 10-15 other schools - OSU, Mich, USC, Miami, FSU, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Oaklahoma...

There is 10 of them, lets see another 15 or so. They have had 46 since 2000, which is just outside the top 10 - (Oaklahoma 49)

Through the 2010 draft, so Watt is not included...

Hopefully you are at work today so you can respond.

Oh - link:
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1215565

I hate Bielema with a passion, but he did nothing wrong in this case. What he said was harmless, and even well thought out imo.

But I hate the guy and still think he's a giant meathead.

What I find funny is how you and others constantly tell us how irrelevant Minnesota is, yet the second someone posts anything about wisconsin, you come here to "defend" your school/team.
Whats so hard to understand about it? UW-UM is always going to be a rivalry no matter how irrelevant one team gets. People are always going to cross boards to see what the other is saying. Nothing strange about that at all. It wouldn't be a rivalry if people didn't care enough to check the others boards.

Dozens? I respectfully disagree. I can see 10-15 other schools - OSU, Mich, USC, Miami, FSU, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Oaklahoma...

There is 10 of them, lets see another 15 or so. They have had 46 since 2000, which is just outside the top 10 - (Oaklahoma 49)

Through the 2010 draft, so Watt is not included...[/url]

Who cares about number of players drafted? What is the object of the game - to get drafted or to actually get a paycheck and play in the league?

And why since 2000? Random prospect from Kenosha: "I see Bobby Myers was drafted in the 4th round 12 years ago! Now I'm definitely going to play for the Badgers! Hooray!"

Rather than your half-assed attempt at Badger fellatio, why don't we look at the more relevant statistic, the number of players currently playing in the NFL?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/college

1. Texas - 48
2. Miami - 46
3. USC - 42
4. LSU - 41
5. Ohio St. - 39
6. Georgia - 35
7. Iowa - 34
T-8. Florida - 33
T-8. Tennessee - 33
10. California - 32
11. Auburn - 30
T-12. Florida St. - 29
T-12. Maryland - 29
T-14. Michigan - 28
T-14. Penn St. - 28
T-16. Nebraska - 27
T-16. Oklahoma - 27
T-18. Alabama - 24
T-18. North Carolina - 24
T-18. Notre Dame - 24
T-18. Oregon - 24
T-22. South Carolina - 23
T-22. Virginia - 23
24. Clemson - 22
T-25. Georgia Tech - 21
T-25. Ole Miss - 21
T-25. Utah - 21
T-28. Boston College - 20
T-28. Illinois - 20
T-28. Pitt - 20
T-28. Va Tech - 20
T-32. Louisville - 19
T-32. UCLA - 19
T-32. Wisconsin - 19

Just like I said - dozens. Almost 3 dozen are ahead of Wisconsin, in fact. And they are 7th in the Big Ten. I mean, we'd all like to be up there in the rarefied air just behind Boston College and just ahead of Fresno St., but I guess we can only hope to aspire to be worse than Utah at putting players into the NFL.

Got any other smart-assed comebacks, you fence-straddling bandwagon numbnuts?

Who cares about number of players drafted? What is the object of the game - to get drafted or to actually get a paycheck and play in the league?

And why since 2000? Random prospect from Kenosha: "I see Bobby Myers was drafted in the 4th round 12 years ago! Now I'm definitely going to play for the Badgers! Hooray!"

Rather than your half-assed attempt at Badger fellatio, why don't we look at the more relevant statistic, the number of players currently playing in the NFL?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/college

1. Texas - 48
2. Miami - 46
3. USC - 42
4. LSU - 41
5. Ohio St. - 39
6. Georgia - 35
7. Iowa - 34
T-8. Florida - 33
T-8. Tennessee - 33
10. California - 32
11. Auburn - 30
T-12. Florida St. - 29
T-12. Maryland - 29
T-14. Michigan - 28
T-14. Penn St. - 28
T-16. Nebraska - 27
T-16. Oklahoma - 27
T-18. Alabama - 24
T-18. North Carolina - 24
T-18. Notre Dame - 24
T-18. Oregon - 24
T-22. South Carolina - 23
T-22. Virginia - 23
24. Clemson - 22
T-25. Georgia Tech - 21
T-25. Ole Miss - 21
T-25. Utah - 21
T-28. Boston College - 20
T-28. Illinois - 20
T-28. Pitt - 20
T-28. Va Tech - 20
T-32. Louisville - 19
T-32. UCLA - 19
T-32. Wisconsin - 19

Just like I said - dozens. Almost 3 dozen are ahead of Wisconsin, in fact. And they are 7th in the Big Ten. I mean, we'd all like to be up there in the rarefied air just behind Boston College and just ahead of Fresno St., but I guess we can only hope to aspire to be worse than Utah at putting players into the NFL.

Got any other smart-assed comebacks, you fence-straddling bandwagon numbnuts?

What a totally degrading response. Totally uncalled for to call people names when I only respectfully disagreed with your post. You sir have an anger problem, and I guess it must make you feel better to disrespect people personally. Why post on a message board? So you can call people names?

What a totally degrading response. Totally uncalled for to call people names when I only respectfully disagreed with your post.

No, you didn't:

Hopefully you are at work today so you can respond.

How is that respectful? To paraphrase Anton Chigurh: "What business is it of yours what I do with my time?"

You sir have an anger problem, and I guess it must make you feel better to disrespect people personally. Why post on a message board? So you can call people names?

Nope. No anger problem at all. If you can't take it, don't dish it out. Pretty simple.

Wow, Iowa has a lot more in the NFL than I thought. I am impressed.

Also, if you want to equate talent level to NFL players, the University of Montana has more NFL players than we do. Scary. Thanks Glen and Brew.

No, you didn't:

How is that respectful? To paraphrase Anton Chigurh: "What business is it of yours what I do with my time?"

Nope. No anger problem at all. If you can't take it, don't dish it out. Pretty simple.

I said I respectfully disagree.
In another post you stated that you usually only post from work.
I did not dish out any insults. We disagree on how good the Badger FB program is at putting players in the NFL, that is all. No disrespect from me at all.

Whether we like it or not, 6 current NFL players is not good at all.

New Mexico has 7 for cryin out loud

What does all this pissing and moaning have to do with the issue at hand; that Burt BigEnema is a total D00SH-Nozzle.

Back on task, boys and girls.

Whats so hard to understand about it? UW-UM is always going to be a rivalry no matter how irrelevant one team gets. People are always going to cross boards to see what the other is saying. Nothing strange about that at all. It wouldn't be a rivalry if people didn't care enough to check the others boards.

You totally missed the point. I totally agree with what you are saying.

There are some wisconsin fans who come on here and act like we don't matter. If we don't matter, then why are these same people the first ones here "defending" their team when something bad is said.? Because if we don't matter, then our opinions shouldn't matter. This board shouldn't matter.

This is a very interesting insight. If dust it off just a bit, I wonder if you realize that you are actually criticizing the shallowness of his critics including people in this thread.

Essentially you are saying that you don't reference yourself because it will be misunderstood. Words like "whether or not it is your intent" and "appear to make it all about yourself" actually suggests that Bielema was naive but the greater problem lies in that fact that people so want to misunderstand and want to exaggerate and want to wallow in self righteousness.

Some might have missed it so I just wanted people here to know how thoroughly and subtlety you have destroyed the Bielema haters. Well played Obi Wan!

People (namely, Enema sycophants) just don't get it.

When asked about a sensitive/delicate situation, you don't in any way reference yourself or your own situation. Whether or not it is your intent, you appear to make it all about yourself and how lucky you are to not be in a bad situation.

This is PR 101. Really, it's not rocket science.

This is a very interesting insight. If dust it off just a bit, I wonder if you realize that you are actually criticizing the shallowness of his critics including people in this thread.

Essentially you are saying that you don't reference yourself because it will be misunderstood. Words like "whether or not it is your intent" and "appear to make it all about yourself" actually suggests that Bielema was naive but the greater problem lies in that fact that people so want to misunderstand and want to exaggerate and want to wallow in self righteousness.

Some might have missed it so I just wanted people here to know how thoroughly and subtlety you have destroyed the Bielema haters. Well played Obi Wan!

There's a clip from Billy Madison just waiting to be inserted here.

I love how this is being now used to SUPPORT Bielema. Does it soften the statement? Perhaps a bit. But I still don't see any outpouring of concern or compassion...you know...the normal, typical human response to a disgusting tragedy like this. It's (at best) an uninformed arrogant statement. So no, I don't consider it "reaching" in any sense.

Maybe there's some sort of code where all mouth-breathers are bound to support one another at all costs.

For anyone who wants to go into greater depth than available on a tweet, here is the entire quote.

Link

Or you can continue your hate-fest, understandable in Axe Week, based on a single phrase.

You're (unsurprisingly) missing the point. This is THE FACE of Badger football. Are there some classless Gopher fans the same way there are Badger fans? Of course. But this is the HEAD COACH!

And based on Wisconsin's fans overall reputation amongst other college football fans, I wouldn't want to start a comparison of "classiness" if I were you.

Looking forward to the F**K Bielema chants tomorrow. Will be as classy as the F**K Ryan chants were last year.

But we all know it is all class, all the time from Gophers fans.

The hatred for Bielema on this board is awesome.

Things like this seem to generate the battle of concern. If the first word out of someone's mouth isn't sufficiently outraged then that seems to be justification for every knucklehead to be self righteous priks. In this case they started with something he DIDNT say and then took something he DIDN'T say out of context. In the 24 minute news cycle the outrage monster must be fed and it will makes things up if it doesn't have real things to feed on.

I love how this is being now used to SUPPORT Bielema. Does it soften the statement? Perhaps a bit. But I still don't see any outpouring of concern or compassion...you know...the normal, typical human response to a disgusting tragedy like this. It's (at best) an uninformed arrogant statement. So no, I don't consider it "reaching" in any sense.

Maybe there's some sort of code where all mouth-breathers are bound to support one another at all costs.

"Sufficiently outraged"?? No one is talking in those terms at all. There was in fact no outrage and he actually used the opportunity to make an arrogant statement about Wisconsin.

And if you're referring to me as a "knucklehead" or "self righteous prik" (sic) I'd advise you to take your judgment elsewhere.

In reality, it will likely be more of the same: Defend. Defend. Defend. Whatever let's you sleep at night buddy.

Things like this seem to generate the battle of concern. If the first word out of someone's mouth isn't sufficiently outraged then that seems to be justification for every knucklehead to be self righteous priks. In this case they started with something he DIDNT say and then took something he DIDN'T say out of context. In the 24 minute news cycle the outrage monster must be fed and it will makes things up if it doesn't have real things to feed on.

I'm talking in general terms about the whole issue. People are saying outrageous things like the GA should be sodomized a broom handle. When anyone offers caution like that's probably going too far -- then the you hear people wailing because anyone who doesn't think they should all be executed, is pro child rape. Bielema was asked if there's a role for the NCAA in this and he answered that question. You seemed to be pretending to yourself that he was asked about the children and he said -- hey all I can say is that it's great to be a Badger. In the context of OSU, Penn State and Michigan having problems, its not has horrible as some here will make it. But I'll admit the he's not above playing someone's troubles to his advantage. He comes across as an arrogant prik but it's calculated to his advantage. In this case seems like you can dial back your outrage meter off of its hyper sensitive mode.

What if someone told you 10 years ago you'd be getting all worked up trying to defend a person like Bret Bielema? Where did it all go wrong?

This is OT from the original post, but Enema-related nonetheless.

Rittenberg/Bennett tweeted that one of them got a text stating this:

"Saw you're an Obrien voter. Hope my QB makes your ballot, he is best I have ever seen. Playing for or against. Bret"

You can't make it up.

This is OT from the original post, but Enema-related nonetheless.

Rittenberg/Bennett tweeted that one of them got a text stating this:

"Saw you're an Obrien voter. Hope my QB makes your ballot, he is best I have ever seen. Playing for or against. Bret"

You can't make it up.

anything about asking if he had a coach of the year vote too?

Top Bottom