BREAKING: GOPHERS LAND 3-STAR DYLAN MCGILL

Goldteam

Banned
Reaction score
Now sure where he will play. 6'1" 195 pounds

Dylan is currently rated the No. 85 ATH nationally according to 247Sports, with a 3-star grading of 85. This rating is right in the middle of all of our recruits.

Fleck watched him at camp a week ago. Apparently watched him as a wide receiver.

Last edited:

He’s going to be a WR. Fleck watched him live and offered immediately.

The down side to early commitments is that we have to worry about poaching before early NSD. We got lucky with Rashod Bateman because he already had Gopher tattoos in his arms when the big boys came calling which pretty much sealed his fate. :cool02:

Must be a pretty good student if he has interest from Harvard and Yale.

The down side to early commitments is that we have to worry about poaching before early NSD. We got lucky with Rashod Bateman because he already had Gopher tattoos in his arms when the big boys came calling which pretty much sealed his fate. :cool02:

Heavy sigh.

I'm old so different perspective but offer from Harvard and Yale.... would be hard to turn down.

Except no athletic scholarship in the Ivy League. Even if he'd get a "leadership" scholarship or something, it'd probably be a partial and I'd expect him to come out with a mound of debt. Often Ivy League grads don't make enough more in salary to offset the cost, though it definitely opens doors.

Besides, there are programs at the U that are more highly rated than Harvard or Yale. Depends where his academic interests are.

Except no athletic scholarship in the Ivy League. Even if he'd get a "leadership" scholarship or something, it'd probably be a partial and I'd expect him to come out with a mound of debt. Often Ivy League grads don't make enough more in salary to offset the cost, though it definitely opens doors.

Besides, there are programs at the U that are more highly rated than Harvard or Yale. Depends where his academic interests are.

They also offer excellent scholarships to low and middle income families. Under $65K and Harvard is free. Between $65K-$150K you pay a sliding scale up to 10% of your family's income. I have no idea what financial situation Dylan's family is in but there's a decent chance he could go there for cheap or free.

Harvard and Yale tuition is based on a sliding income scale.

If you qualify (and it doesn't take much) just getting acceptance can mean what is effectively a full scholarship anywhere else.

I'm old so different perspective but offer from Harvard and Yale.... would be hard to turn down.

True. But if his interests are football....then it's hard to turn down playing in the Big Ten. And if Fleck offered him on the spot....then clearly he thinks there's something there. I trust his judgement in receivers....and there's a good chance that we'll be seeing two or more Gophers WRs playing on sunday in a few years.

But.....on the other hand.....Matt Birk has done real well for himself. But honestly....it's not as though Minnesota is some dumpy academic institution.

I'm pretty excited about this kid. When Fleck offers on the spot after personally seeing what the kid has got, we have immediate impact on the way. I would suggest he get Gopher tattoos ASAP!

Can we get a tattoo parlor added to the locker room that 'cruits can use on visits?

Harvard and Yale tuition is based on a sliding income scale.

If you qualify (and it doesn't take much) just getting acceptance can mean what is effectively a full scholarship anywhere else.

Not to mention that the expectation is that Alumni that do well give back. Ivy schools and other privates schools have donors that anonymously pay for students tuition. Athletes or not. IIRC Ivy league students from all income levels on average graduate with the lowest amount of debt.

I saw that McGill was no longer listed as a commit on 247. I also noticed that he was academic all state honorable mentioned -- I don't quite follow how he couldn't get the scores necessary to sign his loi here.

Still listed Minnesota as favorite on 247.

LSU...we'll see if he ends up there in the end. Never know.

This guy must not be non qualifier if he is all academic district team. Seems like our kind of player we like at Minnesota. Maybe he still signs 02/03.

Looks like he's still all-in on the Gophers and the coaches are still recruiting/visiting him. Maybe not enough of the right classes that are required for admission? Who knows - seems pretty enthusiastic about the U though.

Maybe his offer doesn't "mature" as signable until a scholarship spot opens up via transfer, medical retirement or something similar. He does certainly look like a guy we'd want, and one who can handle the academics. Hope it works for him, and us, come the February signing date.

IIRC, he had some issues with getting admitted to the U. The delay could cause him a chance with the Gophers unless a new spot opens up. Twenty four other Gopher recruits did not waste anytime submitting their LOIs with their paperwork all in order and ready to go. As @Gophergrandpa has said, maybe come Feb NSD something will open up.

IIRC, he had some issues with getting admitted to the U. The delay could cause him a chance with the Gophers unless a new spot opens up. Twenty four other Gopher recruits did not waste anytime submitting their LOIs with their paperwork all in order and ready to go. As @Gophergrandpa has said, maybe come Feb NSD something will open up.
Harvard and Yale will take him but not us?

Harvard and Yale will take him but not us?
This would be typical U behavior!

Sorry Son, that 2400 SAT score looks a little sketchy. We usually look for something under 1600!

Looks like he's still all-in on the Gophers and the coaches are still recruiting/visiting him. Maybe not enough of the right classes that are required for admission? Who knows - seems pretty enthusiastic about the U though.

Yeah, looking at the twitter link provided in this thread he seems all in on coming to the U. Guessing he will probably sign during the late window that opens here in a few days.

Top Bottom