BREAKING: GOPHERS LAND 3-STAR DYLAN MCGILL

With the depth we have at WR right now, another positive with this for us and for McGill is that his clock won't start ticking until 2021 instead of 2020

One of his parents has posted several times on GI over the least several months. As far as I can tell, he’s very strong academically, but had a bad test result. Sounds like he might have taken it very late in the process, figuring it wasn’t going to be an issue. They also said he could sign at several other schools, but wants to play for Fleck.

Story that was linked mentions places like Utah, USC and others contacting him recently so even though his offer list isn't the most impressive it sounds like he is potentially getting some fairly high level attention from a few places. But sounds like he is 100% committed to coming up here in 2021.

Fleck resonates with people with this level of commitment. I think that is part of why his culture is so successful. I think the accountability toward each other results in the whole group working harder than a lot of other schools and maximizing their potential. So even if we start with .8650 recruits, they’re passing .87s, .88s, and .89s along the way!

My eyes always zoom right to this thread because of the "BREAKING" headline. I wish people wouldn't use that word in their titles, or at the very least I wish that word evaporated from thread titles after 3 days.

My eyes always zoom right to this thread because of the "BREAKING" headline. I wish people wouldn't use that word in their titles, or at the very least I wish that word evaporated from thread titles after 3 days.

Let’s debate the merits of 3 days. Let’s see if it turns into a pissing match.

Conspiracy theory: he intentionally tested low so that he could gray shirt and we could get both him and Spielman.

He should take the practice test, and work through identifying easy questions to answer first that take less time. Then work through the more difficult questions, I know a lot of people that struggle with time aspect of the ACT test. You have to consolidate, finish the easiest sections that are a breeze first, then move on to the math and science part, on those sections I worked back to front on the questions. I I only had to take the ACT test once but that is how I pushed through and answered as many questions as possible. If you can answer with just key words in the question, not the whole question helps you speed up to. Word problems read the last sentence first, then back to the whole question. It helps you summarize potential answers quicker. If I couldn't answer quickly on first try I moved on to the next question, then came back to those passed on. Finally, when completely in doubt, guess B.

He should take the practice test, and work through identifying easy questions to answer first that take less time. Then work through the more difficult questions, I know a lot of people that struggle with time aspect of the ACT test. You have to consolidate, finish the easiest sections that are a breeze first, then move on to the math and science part, on those sections I worked back to front on the questions. I I only had to take the ACT test once but that is how I pushed through and answered as many questions as possible. If you can answer with just key words in the question, not the whole question helps you speed up to. Word problems read the last sentence first, then back to the whole question. It helps you summarize potential answers quicker. If I couldn't answer quickly on first try I moved on to the next question, then came back to those passed on. Finally, when completely in doubt, guess B.

Nerd alert.

Conspiracy theory: he intentionally tested low so that he could gray shirt and we could get both him and Spielman.
I guarantee you Fleck has a quota with admissions. He can get anyone he wants in at the U, up to XX per semester. And while the minimum NCAA requirements are not very high, they’re plenty high enough that U of MN admissions would give the green light with Fleck’s say so.

I don’t think Fleck pulled something sneaky with the admissions office, either. I think this is just a coordinated story for the public, as to why he’s gray shirting. The real reason, I have no idea. Could simply be Fleck wants him but needs the last initial for someone else, and knows he can ask the kid to sit out 2020.

What I would buy perhaps, is that he doesn’t have good enough academics to get in on his own, without Fleck’s quota. If he did, there would be no reason not to Maroon shirt him instead.

Is this Fleck’s first actual gray shirt, as opposed to a maroon shirt?

My curiosity is: what do the gray shirts do in the mean time? Do they go to JUCO, but not play? Prep school where they can be some kind of5th year senior? Sit at home and workout, work a job?

My curiosity is: what do the gray shirts do in the mean time? Do they go to JUCO, but not play? Prep school where they can be some kind of5th year senior? Sit at home and workout, work a job?
If their family can support it, I'm sure Grey Shirts enroll at the University. If so, I'm sure Fleck holds them to the same academic expectations (collared shirt, sit in first 2 rows of class, etc) and while they can't participate in team workouts or use the Athletic Village, the Rec Center on Campus has a lot of equipment to use that is in really good condition (plus, nothing stops them from chatting with their future teammates at the same position to ask what types of workouts they do).

If their family can support it, I'm sure Grey Shirts enroll at the University. If so, I'm sure Fleck holds them to the same academic expectations (collared shirt, sit in first 2 rows of class, etc) and while they can't participate in team workouts or use the Athletic Village, the Rec Center on Campus has a lot of equipment to use that is in really good condition (plus, nothing stops them from chatting with their future teammates at the same position to ask what types of workouts they do).
To add, since it looks like they need to wait until Spring 2021 to enroll full-time, if they do enroll in fall it would be at the part time credit load. Easier to focus on grades, and have extra time to work out.

Logan Richter was the first

But the whole point is that he (supposedly) couldn’t gain admission to the school.

If he could, as in your scenario, there would be no reason for him not to maroon shirt.

But the whole point is that he (supposedly) couldn’t gain admission to the school.

If he could, as in your scenario, there would be no reason for him not to maroon shirt.
The only reason would be to extended his eligibility from '20-'24 to '21-'25 --- but that doesn't seem very plausible

From: https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...a-football-grayshirt-blueshirt-redshirt-rules

Athletes who grayshirt are allowed to enroll as students. They go to class for the first semester as part-time students, either at the school or at a junior college, without starting their eligibility clocks. Then they begin as full-time students on scholarship.

So doing a part time fall semester *IS* an option.

EDIT: Also, from http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms
Division I five-year clock: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in residence as a result of transferring; decide to red shirt, if you do not attend school or even if you go part-time during your college career.

Thanks, did not know that was an option.

Can a player gray shit and then red shirt?

Yes, but they should probably check in with their doctor.
It happens to the best of us. You eat a little charcoal together with some milk of magnesia, classic gray s__ts.

Top Bottom