BREAKING!!!! Dennis Evans ask for release….

He committed.
Now, he wants to renege on his contract. Do that in life and there is either no out or a large fine. His parents are not teaching him any lessen here, except that your word means nothing.
Yeah, he did. He did so at a point where he had no idea just how big of a hole this program was in. He know knows and made the best decision for himself. I can’t fault him for that. I’m not going to ignore what this administration and CBJ have done to this program and blame a kid that wants to be part of a program that isn’t a complete dumpster fire.

You're absolutely right, but if I'm a better coach than Calipari and a no name, who you think will recruit better at minnesota right now? Calipari or me?
We're not competing with John Calipari for recruits. We're competing with might-get-fired-soon Greg Gard, Angry Fran and company. It's not impossible.

as someone mentioned, Randball on the Strib did a podcast with Marcus Fuller.

And he never asked Marcus the most basic question: Why? Marcus made a very vague comment about how Evans' family did not want to give him a lot of details and that was the only thing said about why Evans changed his mind. Randball made a comment about NIL and didn't follow it up.

Marcus did say that Evans apparently still had a good relationship with Johnson and the assistant coach who was his lead recruiter. So if that's not the reason, then what the bleep is the reason?

there was a little talk about the mechanics of being released from a Letter Of Intent, and Marcus confirmed that the Gophers will approve the release.

but a very surface interview. didn't learn anything that wasn't already in Fuller's story.

Yeah, he did. He did so at a point where he had no idea just how big of a hole this program was in. He know knows and made the best decision for himself. I can’t fault him for that. I’m not going to ignore what this administration and CBJ have done to this program and blame a kid that wants to be part of a program that isn’t a complete dumpster fire.
He was taking a chance on Ben, who has shown next to zero ability to coach in year 2. Ben may have broken his end of the bargain from that standpoint...

According to EduRank here are the Top U of M alumni. Lets make some phone calls and get that NIL budget going. Sad, (no billionaires?) - but if the University ever made an action movie we got a star studded cast.

1. Brock Lesnar
2. Jessica Lange
3. Ron Pearlman
4. Ric Flair
5. Kris Humphries
6. TR Knight
7. Kevin Sorbo
8. Loni Anderson
9. Yani
10. James Hong
This list clearly isn't in order of wealth.

There is the roster spot for a PG.

I wouldn’t be surprised if his buddy Henley leaves after the season and follows him.

I hope Ben gives TT some more time now and gives him a chance to develop some post moves along with Payne. Carrington needs more minutes too. We need him to develop some aggression and a confident shot going into this fall

Fox and Ihnen will lessen the sting of Evans loss.

Clearly you don't care but your opinion doesn't matter. Dennis Evans clearly cared and didn't want to walk into this disaster. Did someone offer him $? Probably, but welcome to 2023.
Exactly. Money talks and bull**** walks. It's always been that way in college sports to some extent, but it's all out in the open now. The NCAA has been broken now to the point where there's going to be no enforcement of tampering. Either play the recruiting/transfer/NIL game the way the big boys do, or expect to keep being a basement dwelling joke.

The naivety of people saying "do it the right way" or "waah, he COMMITTED" is mind numbing.

And he never asked Marcus the most basic question: Why? Marcus made a very vague comment about how Evans' family did not want to give him a lot of details and that was the only thing said about why Evans changed his mind. Randball made a comment about NIL and didn't follow it up.

Marcus did say that Evans apparently still had a good relationship with Johnson and the assistant coach who was his lead recruiter. So if that's not the reason, then what the bleep is the reason?

there was a little talk about the mechanics of being released from a Letter Of Intent, and Marcus confirmed that the Gophers will approve the release.

but a very surface interview. didn't learn anything that wasn't already in Fuller's story.
you can like a guy and still not want to risk your future for him.

You're right, our opinions don't matter. Evans is showing bad character and no one cares. It's endemic of our culture.
It's about winning, and money. Do you have an ice cream social or sock hop to attend?

I wouldn’t be surprised if his buddy Henley leaves after the season and follows him.

I hope Ben gives TT some more time now and gives him a chance to develop some post moves along with Payne. Carrington needs more minutes too. We need him to develop some aggression and a confident shot going into this fall

Your love for TT is a bit disturbing. 😅

I think it's a safe bet that multiple more scholarships will open. If I were Will Ramburg I wouldn't be sweating my tuition bill next year at the moment.

Last edited:

Your love for TT is a bit disturbing. 😅
If he was used properly, he may be more effective. He has some shot altering skills that only Payne posses on this team. His play kept us in the game against Hoosiers. Same with the 40 mins last year against Rutgers. To go from that to nothing is a misuse of the roster by this coaching staff. Evans can see how a similarly built TT is used and wanted out. TT needs 10-15 min, nothing more. Every healthy scholarship player this miserable season should see a minimum of 10-15 min of developmental time, Ramburg included.

I don't think you need money to get decent players from the portal. I don't think Loewe, Stephens, or many of the other players got massive NIL deals. Adding a couple of average wing players would make the world of difference for us.

NIL and the portal should make it easier for teams to be decent.
Possibly, but you also have to keep all the players you currently have. That’s the tricky part. You now have to recruit high school kids, transfer kids, and your own roster. If you don’t keep the players you currently have then you are just treading water.

Burns is saying the huge driving for here is NIL money.

He is going to get paid very well.

Unfortunately it’s been 25 years since the Barn’s been rocking. I had season tickets since 1988, the years Clem was there, it was the best place to be during the Big 10 season. Monson’s years were tough except when Vincent Greer was there. I was excited when Tubby was hired but within 4 years, his lack of interest was evident and he had sucked what little life was left out of the Barn. Gave up our tickets after 2013, but still live and die Gopher Basketball. I spend 8 months of the year in Tucson now and enjoy Arizona Wildcat basketball but not as much as a good Gopher season. This season has been the worst I can remember. I’m not sure I can invest my time anymore.
I have been a season ticket holder since 93 and I am done. The program is boring and has not been competitive in years. It is official there is not a wait for next year possibility, which has been the Gopher mantra for years. Sadly I am worn out. I love the barn but the product is horrible.

We're not competing with John Calipari for recruits. We're competing with might-get-fired-soon Greg Gard, Angry Fran and company. It's not impossible.
Your not understanding or comprehending what I'm saying. If Calipari was the minnesota coach. Did you read my post?

Burns is saying the huge driving for here is NIL money.

He is going to get paid very well.
Good for him. This program is going to need to find some serious donors.

Coyle may have his flaws, but surely he knows a train wreck when he sees one. "More time" isn't going to solve anything. Even if this is partially an NIL issue, it's not going to get better on its own. No one cares about this program. No NIL funding is coming without a new coach. "Giving it more time" is only going to make the hole deeper for the next coach.

For all we know (and some of us have had our suspicions), Coyle is sitting back and telling the powers that forced or "strongly suggested" this hire "I TOLD YOU SO"....

I never believed that Ben was Coyle's choice, never will.

All good examples and sadly all coaches with some level of success before they took those positions. Not telling you anything you don't know already, but each with a much more established resume.

I know what the answer is.

I think we all REALLY know what the answer is and what time it is...

OIP.jpg

Gonna go out on a limb and say perhaps the 5 conference wins in 2 years has something to do with it.

As I mentioned in a way early post, it was 60/40 that he wouldn’t show. Told you so. Think about it. Would you bring your “talent” to a program at the bottom of the standings?

Perhaps he became aware of the “Ben Johnson is a Disaster” thread and that scared him off? Or he was offended by references to him as “Wingspan”? In any event if if was NIL money why didn’t SunCountry step up with a “Wingspan” marketing campaign?

Time to build around Payne

No way to spin this as a positive. I still believe Johnson will get year 3 but I also think this may raise the bar he has to reach in year 3 to get a year 4.

One way or another he has to find the pieces that can make this team at the very least competitive next season. If he fails to do that it won't surprise me one bit if we are looking for a new coach after the 23-24 season.
Hot take.

Whatever. If you don't think that yourself as a 7 foot guy won't make a difference than were better off. Go dominate the big west!

Top Bottom