Bowl Rumor - Gophers to Outback

Other than the fact that head to head is almost always used as a tiebreaker in standings.

Yes, but that's when you must break a tie for seeding or a situation where only one team can advance to the higher goal (like the divisional championship) and you have to have a firm, established, and understood methodology for doing that before the fact. That's not the case here. All three of the tied teams are going to a bowl, there isn't a major difference between those bowls, and there is no firm and clearly established criteria.

I meant boring in that Arkansas itself has no “juice.” Not really talking about their style of play, which by the way is a little more old school. I’ve seen them play several times this year. They are a good, well coached team by Sam Pittman who loves a more smash mouth in your face style. They would certainly be a worthy on the field opponent. But beating them wouldn’t carry the same weight for me as beating Auburn did or almost any other SEC team.

Well, if you consider Arkansas, Tennessee, or Mississippi State as the most likely SEC teams for us to play in postseason, Arkansas is the only one currently ranked so it should carry the most juice.

Head-to-head is not the only measure of success. The other two teams both had harder schedules and Purdue beat two 10 win teams.
I kind of agree with you in theory

in reality had either Purdue or wisconsin beaten Minnesota they would’ve had a better record regardless of schedule. Pretty clear cut this year. If it was a 3 way tie with all 1-1 against each other schedule should factor in

We better get to play for the bloomin' onion this time!!

View attachment 15757
How dare you?! Team coconut shrimp all the way! Greatest mascot in bowl history.

Thanks to the OP for sharing this. Outback is the bowl I'm most interested in attending after having an awesome time in 2019 like many of you, so let's GO!!! My hopes had been waning with internet rumors of PSU to Outback or Vegas and predictions of MN falling to Pinstripe or lower, so this is a nice boost on selection day.

It’s 67 and beautiful in the Tampa area right now, aiming for the mid 70s today. Would be so awesome to have a ‘home’ game. Beaches, nice parks, outdoor areas, over 40 brewpubs in Pinellas County and plenty in Tampa, too (nicknamed the Gulp Coast). Two hour drive to Disney/ Universal Studios area if you need to keep the kids happy.

It’s 67 and beautiful in the Tampa area right now, aiming for the mid 70s today. Would be so awesome to have a ‘home’ game. Beaches, nice parks, outdoor areas, over 40 brewpubs in Pinellas County and plenty in Tampa, too (nicknamed the Gulp Coast). Two hour drive to Disney/ Universal Studios area if you need to keep the kids happy.
Disney is closer to a 1 hour drive (unless you meant round trip). We have flown in and out of Tampa a couple times for Disneyworld trips (sometimes cheaper airfare).

Head-to-head is not the only measure of success.
As I often hear people say… if head-to-head doesn’t matter “why play the games then?”

Any thing other than the Outback would be a huuuuuuge dis. Outback should be an automatic at this point.

All depends on if Big Ten is agreeing to keep the "no same team in a five year span" agreement rolling perpetually even over new cycles.

If so, then going after the 2019 season disqualifies us.
But if not, then would think we deserve to go.

As I often hear people say… if head-to-head doesn’t matter “why play the games then?”

Any thing other than the Outback would be a huuuuuuge dis. Outback should be an automatic at this point.

I would be fine with Vegas or Music City. Both would provide good matchups against decent teams. Obviously the Outback Bowl (or the Citrus Bowl) would be preferable.

All depends on if Big Ten is agreeing to keep the "no same team in a five year span" agreement rolling perpetually even over new cycles.

If so, then going after the 2019 season disqualifies us.
But if not, then would think we deserve to go.

Doesn't sound like that is the case. The Outback Bowl committee will have a say too. Considering how well the Gophers showed up a couple years ago should factor in. The "thank you" letters to the committee might factor in. The fact that the Bucs drafted TWO Gophers after the Outback Bowl, including Winfield who's a complete stud, might factor in. Have to wonder if local attendance would be influenced by Bucs fans who have favorable feelings about the Gophers.

Twitter blowing up again with PSU to Outback and Brett McMurphy updated his bowl projections with PSU vs. Arkansas. He's got Minnesota in guaranteed rate fwiw. That would be a MAJOR disappointment.

Doesn't sound like that is the case. The Outback Bowl committee will have a say too. Considering how well the Gophers showed up a couple years ago should factor in. The "thank you" letters to the committee might factor in. The fact that the Bucs drafted TWO Gophers after the Outback Bowl, including Winfield who's a complete stud, might factor in. Have to wonder if local attendance would be influenced by Bucs fans who have favorable feelings about the Gophers.
Hey, you sold me!

But I don't get to decide it.

We will find out soon enough, which scenario must be true.

If the five year span isn't true .... then I just don't see how the Gophers couldn't get the spot ahead of Penn St, Purdue, and Wisc, based on record and head-to-head.

If they don't, that has to be it. I don't see what else it could be.

Twitter blowing up again with PSU to Outback and Brett McMurphy updated his bowl projections with PSU vs. Arkansas. He's got Minnesota in guaranteed rate fwiw. That would be a MAJOR disappointment.
PSU should have no chance at this. 3 teams have a better record. That would be disgraceful. In that scenario WI should go If not us.

There’s no way. Penn State is lucky they’re even playing in a bowl. They have a losing record in the conference. Putting them in a New Year’s Day bowl would turn that bowl into a sham.

PSU should have no chance at this. 3 teams have a better record. That would be disgraceful. In that scenario WI should go If not us.

I would think Purdue if not us. They have a couple really impressive, top five wins, and one of the most exciting, dynamic playmakers in the country in David Bell. Not to mention that the lingering thoughts after last Saturday should be how shoddy we made Wisconsin's offense look. Just a boring all around team.

There’s no way. Penn State is lucky they’re even playing in a bowl. They have a losing record in the conference. Putting them in a New Year’s Day bowl would turn that bowl into a sham.
Agree 100%. Total slap in the face. Nothing is official until it's official later this afternoon, but this rumor appears to hvae major legs sadly.

It would make no sense for the Outback Bowl to take PSU. Zero.

I’m assuming we find out today?
By tonight I believe

EDIT: later this afternoon

The wild process of college football bowl game selections goes down all day long Sunday as FBS teams fill slots in the postseason. It all starts at noon ET with the announcement of the four College Football Playoff teams and continues with the release of the final CFP Rankings and rest of the New Year's Six games at 2:30 p.m. before culminating late in the afternoon once every one of the bowl games is announced.

I’m assuming we find out today?
Yup. NYD6 bowls released at 1:30 central, so nobody else can "officially" announce before then. Right now it's all about Twitter "leaks" and "sources". This PSU rumor has been raging since midweek and it's only picked up more steam today...especially now that McMurphy legitamized it with his prediction.

Top Bottom