Bob Huggins could be in big trouble

I think we probably all know people who frequently use cringey language like this and, at least in my case, they are “normal” friendly people most of the time. They might even be aware enough not to use that language in most settings. But they have a bigoted side that isn’t just a mistake, and they’re not trying to be better - they are not into personal growth. Until there’s consequences. I feel like Huggins was sorry he got caught.
I don’t think anyone but perhaps people really close to him have any clue what’s in his heart. Because he’s an older white obnoxious personality he isn’t going to get the benefit of the doubt from many. Unfortunately if his statement would have just been disparaging to Catholics we probably wouldn’t be talking about it.

I don’t think anyone but perhaps people really close to him have any clue what’s in his heart. Because he’s an older white obnoxious personality he isn’t going to get the benefit of the doubt from many. Unfortunately if his statement would have just been disparaging to Catholics we probably wouldn’t be talking about it.
Correct. ... or at least certainly nowhere near to the same extent.

No. Cancel culture is when virtue signaling, keyboard warriors try to destroy someone's career because they made a mistake.
Calling a group of people f*gs is hardly just a "mistake".

Look, I don't care one way or another what happens to Huggins. I won't lose sleep over it either way. Like everyone else I will forget this story in a couple of weeks. But if he happens to get fired, he has no one to blame but himself, and it will be as a direct result of his actions. Nobody is advocating for Huggins to be thrown in prison, but he made his own bed here, he can lay in it.

Calling a group of people f*gs is hardly just a "mistake".

Look, I don't care one way or another what happens to Huggins. I won't lose sleep over it either way. Like everyone else I will forget this story in a couple of weeks. But if he happens to get fired, he has no one to blame but himself, and it will be as a direct result of his actions. Nobody is advocating for Huggins to be thrown in prison, but he made his own bed here, he can lay in it.
Agreed on Huggins, but a lot of "cancel culture" is aimed at finding 20 year old tweets to destroy people who disagree politically.

And when you say they disagree politically you're saying they have different views on fiscal policy and foreign intervention right? Not something else?
I doubt half the people who think of themselves as "hard-right" or "hard-left" even know what those things mean.

And when you say they disagree politically you're saying they have different views on fiscal policy and foreign intervention right? Not something else?
This probably should head to the off-topic board but I do think it's become more than that. For example, the current Bud Light thing I believe is a huge overreaction to 1 marketing persons idea to try to be inclusive to a trans person or when the Goya Mexican food CEO came out in favor of Trump and liberals made a concerted effort to hurt his company. If you don't want to buy a product, don't, but organizing boycotts over it goes a bit beyond the pale for me.

Apologies for interrupting this virtue signaling vs cancel culture hot debate, just wanted to say the suspension for Huggins has been announced.

3 Games.

Apologies for interrupting this virtue signaling vs cancel culture hot debate, just wanted to say the suspension for Huggins has been announced.

3 Games.
Story. 3 games, $1 million in salary reduction to on campus donation, plus Xavier donation, plus a bunch of public service and sensitivity training. Plus, he says something sorta insensitive he's fired. Plus, he's no longer on contract...his deal is now day to day.

Couple minutes of screwing around on the radio has changed his life dramatically. Somebody is going to say he shouldn't be in the Basketball Hall of Fame. Fans are going to bait him and chant worse. Some people won't be satisfied... it will continue to haunt him. Ugly stuff....freedom of speech depends who is talking and who is listening. Stand up comics, any attempt at humor is no longer acceptable because it will offend somebody....the world has changed. Is it better now?

Last edited:

Story. 3 games, $1 million in salary reduction to on campus donation, plus Xavier donation, plus a bunch of public service and sensitivity training. Plus, he says something sorta insensitive he's fired. Plus, he's no longer on contract...his deal is now day to day.

Couple minutes of screwing around on the radio has changed his life dramatically. Somebody is going to say he shouldn't be in the Basketball Hall of Fame. Fans are going to bait him and chant worse. Some people won't be satisfied... it will continue to haunt him. Ugly stuff....freedom of speech depends who is talking and who is listening. Stand up comics, any attempt at humor is no longer acceptable because it will offend somebody....the world has changed. Is it better now?
Great post. The cancel culture people say that they want to make the world kinder. It's the opposite.
The cancel culture are nothing more than modern day Pharisees fluffing their own power to hurt those who disagree.

Anyways, he's getting a $1,000,000 salary reduction, a suspension, sensitivity training, the whole 9 yards.

He made big mistake. ... now we move along, hope he learns something from it, like we all should when we make mistakes.
I definitely agree with the last part of the post!

Question for those who don't like the term "cancel culture". Do you find the bolded list of discipline suitable, or should he be fired? I'm not looking to argue or go off-topic, I'm just curious. I've been reading the thread and the term cancel culture has come up, and usually that implies termination, so that's why I asked the question.

Again, trying to be neutral....

I should have read this post before I asked my question lol. You just answered it.

I definitely agree with the last part of the post!

Question for those who don't like the term "cancel culture". Do you find the bolded list of discipline suitable, or should he be fired? I'm not looking to argue or go off-topic, I'm just curious. I've been reading the thread and the term cancel culture has come up, and usually that implies termination, so that's why I asked the question.

Again, trying to be neutral....
From what I understand, "cancelled" is supposed to mean that they are essentially barred from society, unable to show their face, will never work again, etc.
Getting fired (or in this case just fined and suspended) is not being "cancelled", it's the consequence of your actions.

Huggy is on the Dean Wormer version of Double Secret Probation (though not so secret) along with Otter, Bluto, Flounder and the gang.

Last edited:

New York Times disagrees. I'll go with them over you
Good point, surely they aren't incentivized to get people talking about these things and being outraged over nothing. I'm sure "quiet quitting" is a real thing according to NYT and not just a fun buzzword for laziness.

Great post. The cancel culture people say that they want to make the world kinder. It's the opposite.
The cancel culture are nothing more than modern day Pharisees fluffing their own power to hurt those who disagree.
And I would ask if you agree it goes both ways these days from both political sides?

Last edited:

False

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/18/opinion/cancel-culture-free-speech-poll.html (NYT Ed board)

However you define cancel culture, Americans know it exists and feel its burden.
That's a good article, but trying to conflate the Huggins situation with the tone of that article seems tenuous.

From the article:

People should be able to put forward viewpoints, ask questions and make mistakes and take unpopular but good-faith positions on issues that society is still working through — all without fearing cancellation.

I don't see anything in Huggins' comments that resemble "unpopular but good faith postions that society is working through." He's just a loudmouth in the equivalent of an on-air barroom. What he did isn't weighty or profound.

Also from the article:

Free speech is predicated on mutual respect — that of people for one another and of a government for the people it serves.

The government angle doesn't apply here, but I think the mutual respect thing does and Huggins falls short.

If there is going to be a death of the Republic, I'm going to lay the blame on social media and talk radio. Dopes like Huggins get a microphone in front of them and start bloviating to their heart's desire, say something monumentally stupid, and then feign "I was just joking" and the jock-sniffers sitting in the room with him just shrug and say "Just Huggy Bear being Huggy Bear." I don't condemn them. I just think they are incredibly stupid and in a click/listen to my podcast world, that's where we're at.

I've been around politics/government all my adult life so I've heard a lot of stupid things emanating from both ends of the political spectrum both in public and in private, so nothing really shocks me anymore. We've become increasingly polarized and that's a big problem because both sides cling to manufactured "truths" and can't abide the other side. I think the Times piece does a good job outling that challenge, which is truly a challenge. But again, I don't think the problem in a macro sense really applies to this situation.

That's a good article, but trying to conflate the Huggins situation with the tone of that article seems tenuous.

From the article:

People should be able to put forward viewpoints, ask questions and make mistakes and take unpopular but good-faith positions on issues that society is still working through — all without fearing cancellation.

I don't see anything in Huggins' comments that resemble "unpopular but good faith postions that society is working through." He's just a loudmouth in the equivalent of an on-air barroom. What he did isn't weighty or profound.

Also from the article:

Free speech is predicated on mutual respect — that of people for one another and of a government for the people it serves.

The government angle doesn't apply here, but I think the mutual respect thing does and Huggins falls short.

If there is going to be a death of the Republic, I'm going to lay the blame on social media and talk radio. Dopes like Huggins get a microphone in front of them and start bloviating to their heart's desire, say something monumentally stupid, and then feign "I was just joking" and the jock-sniffers sitting in the room with him just shrug and say "Just Huggy Bear being Huggy Bear." I don't condemn them. I just think they are incredibly stupid and in a click/listen to my podcast world, that's where we're at.

I've been around politics/government all my adult life so I've heard a lot of stupid things emanating from both ends of the political spectrum both in public and in private, so nothing really shocks me anymore. We've become increasingly polarized and that's a big problem because both sides cling to manufactured "truths" and can't abide the other side. I think the Times piece does a good job outling that challenge, which is truly a challenge. But again, I don't think the problem in a macro sense really applies to this situation.
Good post. The only issue I have with it is the both sides-ing. There are false equivalencies at play,

Good post. The only issue I have with it is the both sides-ing. There are false equivalencies at play,
I'm just saying I've heard my share to oddball perspectives from both sides of the aisle. But you're right in that the media should not give equal time to viewpoints that are off the charts wrong and can be proven wrong.

The flowering of all sorts of alternative media has eroded market share (and undeseverdly trust) in the institutions that strove to simply report the news in an unbiased manner which has put pressure on those institutions to either give air to both sides of the argument (regardless of how obviously wrong one side is) or slant their coverage in order to get clicks and downloads.

From the article:

Also from the article:

Great post, but it doesn't disprove the very simple point I was making: cancel culture and "getting cancelled" are very much real things. Not made up things, as the previous poster was making false claims of.

I'm just saying I've heard my share to oddball perspectives from both sides of the aisle. But you're right in that the media should not give equal time to viewpoints that are off the charts wrong and can be proven wrong.
Capitalism is what we have.

Private capital owns the media and demands profit, which in turn demands ratings/clicks/views.

There is no other way, short of a completely publicly financed news service that simply reports facts and interviews.

Speaking of Pharisees, I've read enough of your posts on this site through the years to know that you strongly advocate throwing the book at any and all who disagree with you. Offenses large and small. However, should one of your own cause damage you are the first to advocate for kindness, understanding, patience and a second, third, fourth and fifth chance.

When you look in the mirror you see the biggest Pharisee on the board, my boy.

Huggins has been making multiple millions/year for a long time, so losing $1M isn't much. (We don't know the fine print. I'll bet the $1M is over time.) I'm sure the "Sensitivity Training" course is on line. Click, click, click....take the test.

Huggins hasn't been "canceled." He has maybe learned not to say that stuff when recording devices are nearby (tricky w/phones) and not to drink when being interviewed.

Some really nice discussion here.

Back to Bob Huggins, he could have said Catholics are the most awesome people ever created, and I still wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire. He's just a douchebag IMHO, diarrhea of the mouth or not. I didn't like him going all the way back to Cincinnati days. I find his face punchable. :)

Great post, but it doesn't disprove the very simple point I was making: cancel culture and "getting cancelled" are very much real things. Not made up things, as the previous poster was making false claims of.
Please provide some examples of people who have been cancelled.

Top Bottom