Bob Huggins could be in big trouble

I do not think to be termed "sad" that someone had to be killed or injured.

Also, when I deemed it "sad" I was including the radio incident from a few weeks ago. Additionally, it's not just sad for Huggins but also his family, players, staff, alums and fans for it to end this way, all of whom were impacted in an instant.

He was the active NCAA leader in victories for men's basketball. 26 NCAA berths. 2 Final 4s. Head Coach of his alma mater. To go out in this embarrassing fashion that's sad in my viewpoint, regardless if I or you have any pity for the situation Huggy put himself in.

Bob Knight. Clem Haskins. Both sad. Gene Keady, also sad, though not self destructive nor a scandal. By sad, I mean I feel sorrow for the entire situation.

Congrats to you on pumping the breaks nearly 40 years ago. Good on you.
Why was Keady leaving a sad situation?

Why was Keady leaving a sad situation?
Long tenured, well respected, never got to the Final 4 despite many close calls but ended at Purdue with a lousy team and successor already in place.

Just personal experience, his last game in the Big 10 Tournament/1st Round at the United Center and I was close enough near the Purdue bench to see Keady's facial expression during his Post-game interview. When it was over Erin Andrews was in tears. Just sad to see it end that way.

Totally different circumstances for Keady than Huggy, but still sorrowful after watching both coach for decades.

Long tenured, well respected, never got to the Final 4 despite many close calls but ended at Purdue with a lousy team and successor already in place.

Just personal experience, his last game in the Big 10 Tournament/1st Round at the United Center and I was close enough near the Purdue bench to see Keady's facial expression during his Post-game interview. When it was over Erin Andrews was in tears. Just sad to see it end that way.

Totally different circumstances for Keady than Huggy, but still sorrowful after watching both coach for decades.
I guess I always thought Painter was his hand-picked successor. Either way, very few get to go out on top/entirely of their own free will. Even Boeheim got shoved out the door.

I guess I always thought Painter was his hand-picked successor. Either way, very few get to go out on top/entirely of their own free will. Even Boeheim got shoved out the door.
Correct, very similar to Boeheim, I also find that sad. Of course, it's in the eye of the beholder.

I'm sure Keady did indeed have a strong say in Painter as his successor and being on the bench with him for his final year (7-21 overall, 3-13 in the Big 10/next to last) in 2005. Probably would have been Weber, but he was already at Illinois

Keady later was a Raptors Asst and then with St John's under Lavin as late as 2015, which tells me on the surface even if went along with the move, he did not jump, he was pushed.

Correct, very similar to Boeheim, I also find that sad. Of course, it's in the eye of the beholder.

I'm sure Keady did indeed have a strong say in Painter as his successor and being on the bench with him for his final year (7-21 overall, 3-13 in the Big 10/next to last) in 2005. Probably would have been Weber, but he was already at Illinois

Keady later was a Raptors Asst and then with St John's under Lavin as late as 2015, which tells me on the surface even if went along with the move, he did not jump, he was pushed.
The B1G had a group of legends in the 80's/90's and basically none of them left entirely of their own accord. Lou Henson was pushed out at Illinois. Dr. Tom was pushed out at Iowa. I'm not even sure Judd Heathcote really wanted to retire when he did. Of course we all know Bobby Knight. And Clem and Steve Fisher.

Ben McCollum the guy who wins Div II National championships has a connection to the WVU AD.
Possible name to be the next coach. Everybody else mentioned is a recycled fired/failed kinda guy

It is summer already.

Name the top assistant as the interim coach and do a thorough search over 2023-24 season.

Talked with a buddy who was active in the summer camp scene a while ago. One of the "jobs" people like him would have would be to serve basically as a valet for a head coach. Pick them up at the airport, be their driver, etc.

He picked up Huggy, and his first instruction was for him to drive to a liquor store, grab a homewrecker of Vodka and 2 quarts of cranberry juice. He then said, you better grab two bottles.

During a speaking engagement addressing the players that week, my buddy was instructed by Huggy to bring him a fresh vodka/cranberry over ice every time he saw his glass get half empty.

He said he was absolutely hammered the whole time.

Home wrecker!!!! Hahaha that big jug with the handle? I’m stealin that line

WVU players just hitting the transfer portal. will be interesting to see how WVU builds a team for next year starting this late trying to get players

I do not think to be termed "sad" that someone had to be killed or injured.

Also, when I deemed it "sad" I was including the radio incident from a few weeks ago. Additionally, it's not just sad for Huggins but also his family, players, staff, alums and fans for it to end this way, all of whom were impacted in an instant.

He was the active NCAA leader in victories for men's basketball. 26 NCAA berths. 2 Final 4s. Head Coach of his alma mater. To go out in this embarrassing fashion that's sad in my viewpoint, regardless if I or you have any pity for the situation Huggy put himself in.

Bob Knight. Clem Haskins. Both sad. Gene Keady, also sad, though not self destructive nor a scandal. By sad, I mean I feel sorrow for the entire situation.

Congrats to you on pumping the breaks nearly 40 years ago. Good on you.
I do have compassion for Huggins having gone through a similar--though it doesn't appear to be as extreme as Huggins' experience--path with alcohol. I had an advantage in that I wasn't a public figure so there was no fall from grace. I did have to make considerable adjustments to my life, but I was in my early-30s and not yet married, so a lot of adjustments were on the horizon at any rate.

I wish Huggins the best. Hope he gets the support he needs. He was in a high pressure environment where alcohol often provides a respite. Hope he can get his feet underneath him because all of this is going to be a big change.

The B1G had a group of legends in the 80's/90's and basically none of them left entirely of their own accord. Lou Henson was pushed out at Illinois. Dr. Tom was pushed out at Iowa. I'm not even sure Judd Heathcote really wanted to retire when he did. Of course we all know Bobby Knight. And Clem and Steve Fisher.
Loose definition of "legend," but you have to add Dutcher to the list. He resigned but I don't think he would have survived.

Says who?

An armchair person from 1,000 miles away staring at a person who has a2 DUI's?

Or like your old pal Sid, Huggy is a close personal friend of yours?
Did you read the article? Empties beside him on the passenger side, garbage bag full of empties the trunk. You think that was just a strange coincidence?

Huggins must be about 120 yrs old by now. He’s one of those guys like Willie Nelson and Billy Bob Thortan that has always seems way older than me.

Talked with a buddy who was active in the summer camp scene a while ago. One of the "jobs" people like him would have would be to serve basically as a valet for a head coach. Pick them up at the airport, be their driver, etc.

He picked up Huggy, and his first instruction was for him to drive to a liquor store, grab a homewrecker of Vodka and 2 quarts of cranberry juice. He then said, you better grab two bottles.

During a speaking engagement addressing the players that week, my buddy was instructed by Huggy to bring him a fresh vodka/cranberry over ice every time he saw his glass get half empty.

He said he was absolutely hammered the whole time.
It is amazing the amount of alcohol somebody with money to support the habit can go through.
I have seen the scenario you describe first hand with a professional athlete. The volume these folks consume is mind boggling. And they still function. Somebody just meeting them wouldn't know they were hammered....they disguise things very well.

It is amazing the amount of alcohol somebody with money to support the habit can go through.
I have seen the scenario you describe first hand with a professional athlete. The volume these folks consume is mind boggling. And they still function. Somebody just meeting them wouldn't know they were hammered....they disguise things very well.
Grey Duck?

I think it almost becomes a kind of Zen thing, especially for someone with native talent who has been in the same industry in a similar job for a long time. Huggins has been around the game so long and has seen just about everything, so he could probably impart basketball knowledge to a camp crowd in his sleep.

Top Bottom